Are you open minded?

vbimport

Do you think you can look and tell all faces of a problem , a fact , a thing , a subject , etc ?

Or do you stand strong in your beliefs , perhaps knowing they are wrong or might have room for improvement ?

Is it good for self education that you can acknowledge your own faults , your wrong beliefs and perhaps even be conviced to other opinions or all just all opinions biased on something , even the things you thought up yourself ?

Can you be ever totally honest to anyone , giving all your secrets , wether they are darker than the darkest cesspool or brighter than the Almighty self ?

I’m not answering that poll, as I simply don’t know!

I try to be open minded as possible, but I keep on catchin myself being on the opposite site every now and than.

When comparing myself with many other people, I’m not that bad at all, but there’s always room for improvement I’d say…

Acknowledging your own faults is one of the most important things, if you’d ask me. Without that, there is no way you can, or even are allowed to, comment on others.

But hey, I’m still 22 and got quite some time left to learn!

I think not. But then, how would anyone know? They would just assume that the other side is being closed minded, and not listening to the rational (ie. Your) side of the story…

I never believe someone else who says that i’m wrong only because of his name, reputation, rank, former achievements or whatever.

Someone who knows something better is always free to elaborate more on a topic.

Before I became mod, or e.g. on Doom9, where i’m just a normal member, I didn’t have and I don’t have the slightest problem with telling a mod/admin that he’s wrong, if I know that this is the case and if I can explain why

Someone who does not want to explain something and does not want to explain why someone else shall be wrong usually doesn’t know it either but just wants to say something or just needs the feeling of being right. This is true in 95% of all cases…and the other 5% may be cases where someone else has access to classified information which he can’t share

Can you be ever totally honest to anyone , giving all your secrets ?
Then it wouldn’t be secrets any longer :wink:

Why is it that in so many threads I always see certain people reply first and almost equally often the thread turns out to be a thing between mods/admins?

Don’t get me wrong here, I have nothing against people expressing their views and I think it is good to see people so involved in this forum, but sometimes I get the feeling a thread would get more replies if ‘normal’ users like myself get to express their feelings before the tone is set by a mod/admin.

I have seen several examples (been a while now though) where a certain admin made a very long reply to certain posts, in which practically all is said and after that very little people felt the need to reply, either because indeed all was said, perhaps because they didn’t feel they should jump in or perhaps because they didn’t feel like reading the long reply.

I am open to discussion, don’t care much to admit when I am wrong (just trying to convince me I am wrong may be hard sometimes :wink: ), but this is something I noticed and just felt I had to bring it up.

Does this opinion make me close minded?

For some reason I always think I’m right.:bigsmile: Doh! Guess that means I’m close minded.

I think I am open-minded. However, I hardly share my secrets with anyone. Not even with family, friends, lovers, doctors, or anyone. Sharing them often made my life just more painful.

I am rather strong in defending my belief, faith, or whatever it can be called. In the extremely Confucian South Korean social environment, one has to know how to keep silent in front of people with power, age, and idiocy for personal survival since they still control everything. So, even I lie a lot of times.

Originally posted by Smart@$$
Why is it that in so many threads I always see certain people reply first and almost equally often the thread turns out to be a thing between mods/admins?

I agree with this , but i encourage all to reply on posts/polls/threads. These polls and questions of mine are never meant for a close audience (mods and their friends only) , but for everyone on the forum. Don’t ever be scared to give your opinion.

[B]

Don’t get me wrong here, I have nothing against people expressing their views and I think it is good to see people so involved in this forum, but sometimes I get the feeling a thread would get more replies if ‘normal’ users like myself get to express their feelings before the tone is set by a mod/admin.

I have seen several examples (been a while now though) where a certain admin made a very long reply to certain posts, in which practically all is said and after that very little people felt the need to reply, either because indeed all was said, perhaps because they didn’t feel they should jump in or perhaps because they didn’t feel like reading the long reply.
[/B]

I totally agree.

[B]

I am open to discussion, don’t care much to admit when I am wrong (just trying to convince me I am wrong may be hard sometimes :wink: ), but this is something I noticed and just felt I had to bring it up.

Does this opinion make me close minded? [/B]

The opinion itself doesn’t , since you admit there is always room for improvement , even within specific topics and threads :slight_smile:

If I’m convinced I’m right, people will need divine help to make me believe I’m wrong, hehe. But that doesn’t mean I can’t live into the thoughts of someone else. Understanding why another person has different views often helps to clarify your own views and beliefs.

looks like im in the majority right now. i consider myself pretty open-minded. im not afraid to admit that sometimes i can be close-minded though. but who couldnt be either? maybe somethings wrong with me.

most of my opinions come with a roadmap, in case you cant find the highway after you disagree :wink:

For me, the deffinition of a biased person is:
The person who says he/she is not biased.

Being a science student (chemistry), I’m “drilled” to find the “thruth” about any problem. This way of thinking has become present in my “non-scientific” part of life too.

If you want to be a succesfull scientist, you have to be open minded though. The problem with most scientific knowledge is, that we can’t be 100% sure about some theory or series of experiments. Only one experiment that fails, even in a 100 years, forces you to change your or someone else’s theory.
Ignoring evidence that proves you where wrong is simply not an option. It does give you an excellent opportunity to refine the theory.

Some theory might give you a result of 80% in a certain reaction/process, but it seems 100%, since it has always been that way. So when you keep the parameters as described in that theory, you would never achieve a better result, without even knowing. That’s why we need to be pretty critical and open minded.

This could get frustrating; years of work that turn out to be useless when a new technique is discovered or when the theory where you based your work on fails after all. Or when you’re sure a theory is not perfect, but you can’t find the mistake.

Maybe in like 30 years, it turns out that the “knowledge” I use now, is totally wrong.
Then I’ll have to live with it
(in some palace with the shit loads of money I earned with it :p)

Ignoring evidence that proves you where wrong is simply not an option.
It should not be an option, but I know people who consider it an option…

I like to think I’m open-minded, but then when I meet different people or be in a different environment, it’s either being too open-minded or still close-minded. The value of being open-minded, accepting different views, being totally unbiased has different meaning depending on the community you’re involved in and cultural/social background you have, hence the standard and definition of it.

But hey, it’s nice to see there are more open-minded people in this forum. I just hope they’re also real in real life :slight_smile:

Taking the average ‘open minding’ in Greece (which is not extremely high ;)) I’d say, that I think I am…

Thinking again, I think most people coming this far to read what other CD/DVD recording enthusiasts think and feel are basically relatively open-minded.