Are you from Iceland?

Haha, not only Mr B can post polls, I can too.:eek:
So, are you Icelandic? If you are, you talk funny.
And you have a funny name. Like Hulfur Rullrull.
Or something.

:slight_smile:

Another poll: is this the most useless poll ever? :slight_smile:

I’m aiming for that dansmug :slight_smile:

Hehe, is this a trick question or what?
Remember that it was Norwegians that went to Iceland and populated it, and quite possibly some Swedes too. :slight_smile:
If we take this into account, I could have been from Iceland if my ancestors had emigrated. :confused:
But if this is not a trick question, I have to agree with dansmug…:stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

Sorry, don’t feel very viking today :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Trondos
Hehe, is this a trick question or what?

No it’s not a trick question. I just wondered if we have any Icelandics on our forum. You know they talk funny :slight_smile:

(If it turns out there are icelandic people here, I will stop teasing them for their funny language :bigsmile: )

Originally posted by Airhead

You know they talk funny :slight_smile:

Well, that depends. Basically, I think I once read that they are still talking like we did 1000 years ago. :slight_smile:

Sometimes, it can even be easier than Swedish. When I lived in Gothenburg, I was thinking like crazy trying to figure out what a “grode” was. I was absolutely clueless. (At that time there was this ad-campain on many buses, with the word grode in it.)

I stayed in a flat belonging to a girl that had been living on Iceland. I found a Iceland-Swedish dictonary in her bookshelf, and looked up grode. To my amazement, the Icelandic equivalent was “froskur”. This matches perfectly with the myth we have here, to make a Icelandic word, just take the Norwegian one and add -ur at the end! :stuck_out_tongue:
To sum this up: Norwegian: Frosk. Swedish: Grode. English: Frog.

We can clearly see that it is the Swedish word that stands out as weird! :bigsmile: :cool: :stuck_out_tongue:

I can understand why you did not understand grode. The small green animal is called groda :slight_smile:
But in Gothenburg they talk funny too…

Norway :bigsmile:

Nope,I am from Greece!!!:bow:

Seems we have no Icelandic visitors… too bad.

It doesn’t matter!!!:rolleyes:

Why not? :confused:

WE should have people from as many places as possible, IMHO.

Are there anyone from Greenland here, BTW? :smiley:

Wooo, we have 4.8 billion Icelandics here! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is Iceland part of Europe? Is Greenland part of it as well? It is part of Denmark.

Well, what other continent should they belong to? Asia? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding, Iceland is indeed part of Europe, and a country of its own. Not sure about Greenland, it may be part of America? Greenland is a Danish “republic”, or what I should call it, the Danish king is their king, but they have a great deal of freedom. They have their own government, but Denmark decides their foreign policy.
Have a look here: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/gl.html

And a little note about global warming: Around year 1000 the vikings settled on Greenland, and grew wheat and barley there. This is certainly not possible today.

EDIT: Found this info about Iceland. A little history lesson can`t hurt, hm? :slight_smile:

Settled by Norwegian and Celtic (Scottish and Irish) immigrants during the late 9th and 10th centuries A.D., Iceland boasts the world’s oldest functioning legislative assembly, the Althing, established in 930. Independent for over 300 years, Iceland was subsequently ruled by Norway and Denmark. Fallout from the Askja volcano of 1875 devastated the Icelandic economy and caused widespread famine. Over the next quarter century, 20% of the island’s population emigrated, mostly to Canada and the US. Limited home rule from Denmark was granted in 1874 and complete independence attained in 1944. Literacy, longevity, income, and social cohesion are first-rate by world standards.

The source is here.
Nice to know Uncle Sam is watching us…or is it? :confused: :bigsmile:

omg

I’ll go planning my holiday to Iceland right away ! :wink:

Originally posted by Airhead
Norway :bigsmile:

Sweden… :bigsmile:

Sweden…

LOL!!!

Modermodemet, själva hjärtat i hårddisken, fungerar inte
:slight_smile:

Poll: Are you Icelandic?