Are you and your friends aware of this Whatsapp voicemail scam?

vbimport

As we used to have our e-mail addresses publically posted on the site, our e-mail addresses have become enormous spam traps, I think if there’s spam we get it. Fortunately everything is all routed through Gmail, so I hardly see it spam, except for the moment I browse through it to make sure normal mail isn’t lost.

Then I saw this and for a moment I thought, UH!? But it’s a scam, tries to trick into visiting a .ru site. So be warned and warn others too!

I also posted it on our Facebook page for easy sharing, I guess that’s also where the audience is that would fall for this :wink:

I have this app…never got this message…

It’s well worth knowing these things though as it could save someone some grief.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I received this same scam also a few days ago. I don’t use Whatsapp either.

It’s quite crafty what the scammers have been up, some as the following I received in recent weeks:

[ul]
[li]Wedding invite - This one used a stylish font, even mentioned two made up names, times, etc. It said to fill out the attachment, which was a zipped EXE file.
[/li][li]Amazon invoice - It was forwarded to me from a colleague on holidays as she said her iPhone didn’t support the attachment and was concerned someone used her account to place an order. Turned out to be a fake Amazon order with a zipped EXE file.
[/li][li]Fake extensions - While most virus checkers automatically catch a double extension (like .txt.exe), they don’t tend to catch those use anything other than the normal dot before the fake first extension.
[/li][/ul]

Of course there’s still the fake courier delivery notices, but it’s just recently that I started seeing various others. I do find it rather odd that some virus checkers (particularly AVG) don’t have the ability to automatically quarantine all zipped EXE files in e-mail attachments.