Are you also a hypocrite?

Confession time.

Tell us what kind of hypocrite you are.

Most people I’ve seen like to show sympathy and the willingness to help when they are together with others in a Seoul subway car. They often actually give money to beggars and other sorts of miserable people that can be easily seen in any Seoul subway line. However, the same groups of people often seem to be extremely harsh on the poorest and weakeast human beings living in the same city. Since they are usually the easiest to be harsh, to lie to, to steal, to threaten, to rape, to abuse, etc. So-called disabled people are useful in that they can help save tax on cars, homes, and other things if reported to be living together. It is so easy to pretend you want to help but never do anything to involve yourself too much. I don’t know any child who has not been abused. I don’t know any woman who has not been raped or nearly raped. I don’t know any student who was not forced to lie and memorize millions of lines of lies.

Most people I’ve seen like to be patriotic. They say Ae-Gook. It literally means Love + Nation, Chinese-Korean words, of course. The original spirit is to have love for the greater existence of human groups instead of oneself, one smaller existence of individual, to sacrifice the smaller for the benefit of the larger, to die for the betterment of one’s family, tribe, nation, state, etc. In reality, they usually just want to take some things that can belong to other nations. They like to be patriots to be selfish and hypocratic without too much instant danger of being criticized to be so.

I have never been outside South Korea and I’ve always been a South Korean national since I was born. I can say the above things with confidence as long as they are about the world I’ve lived in and about the people I’ve lived together but not nearly about the outside world.

I’ve never had much respect for beggars , no matter where. But there are some people in the world who can only beg i guess.

Personally , i can be a hypocrit. For all i care every living entity could catch fire , as long as it will be beneficial for myself. I’ve been friendly for almost 30 years and it has gotten me next to nothing. Then again , it might be boring without having a decent life , so hopefully my indoctrination of doing good will actually once be beneficial.

The hypocrism i hate is called television.

I think everyone is a hypocrite in one way or another. When actions contradict beliefs then one becomes a hypocrite, and that has happened to everyone.

The biggest hypocrites are politicians. Amazing how much BS, lies, and downright crimes happen in our governments.

I think I need to make this clear one more time.

Confucianism is full of hypocracy and South Korea is more Confucianist than any other country in the world, more than PRC, more than ROC, more than Japan, more than PRK, and more than Vietnam. It is extremely different from rationalism, industrialism, pragmatism, and practically all sorts of Western thinking. It prohibits the culture from sueing fathers who rape their daughters, beat their sons, enslave their wives, and neglect their responsibilities as patriarchs. South Korean LAW itself is extremely and very purely Confucian. It is legally correct for teachers to treat their students like dirt thanks to the great teachings of the greatest teachers in the ancient Chinese worlds. Your seniors will beat you outside the classroom if you just talk back to the teacher.

The “people” in my first post are limited to the people in South Korea who are South Korean nationals who were born in South Korea who speak only the South Korean Korean language. I am not.

As for beggars, I rather show contempt and like to be harsh in the face. Begging helps nothing except that there have been criminal sort of dirtiest people that take part of the money and other things collected all over the city. It is also a vast industry just like slave industries and sex industries making use of women-prostitutes, chained and forced.

If I have to give money for no return to myself, then it should be at least used to enhance the intellectual quality of the given person since the capability to think freely and clearly and create knowledge is the best thing to rely on, I believe.

How can giving money to beggars be help when it further makes them depend on begging? It certainly looks good to most people though the very existence of them in public subway cars is illegal and extremely inconvenient to the 20 million daily passengers.

But being hypocritical means something more subtle than being submissive to the moral, social, legal, governmental, economical, cultural, and other sorts of authorities.

confucianism = loyal to thy patriarch regardless of the circumstance? thats how i remember it being applied, at least.

as a side question - does begging include people who dress up like santa at xmas time to ask for spare change? and if it DOESNT, is that hypocracy?

//evil

Originally posted by ckin2001
confucianism = loyal to thy patriarch regardless of the circumstance? thats how i remember it being applied, at least.

as a side question - does begging include people who dress up like santa at xmas time to ask for spare change? and if it DOESNT, is that hypocracy?

//evil

Confucianism = the (said to be recorded) teachings of Confucius, the dead guy in an ancient Chinese state - there were many - at the time of Buddha of India and Socrates of Greece. It requires the son to be loyal to the patriarch and the governed to the governer. It does not recognize the value of women as human beings. Confucianism has been very useful in a state under dictatorship in the second half of the 20th century.

Both Samsung and North Korea can only exist as such because Korea is a Confucian nation.

I don’t have any Santa asking for spare change. That sounds just funny to me, hardly hypocracy. Hypocracy usually makes one just more disgusted the deeper one looks at the reality.

Being a hypocrite is something that I really try to prevent. I know that I can be very hypocrite, just like any other human being, but I try to keep it on a low edge.

Although I (and I hope, quite some people with me) would like to eliminate all forms of hypocracy, this is probably impossible, as there are too many paradoxes and opposites on this planet.

Let’s face it… things that are very important to our way of live (law, politics) are often about the most hypocritical elements one ever could think of…

was guessing on the values of confucianism - my east asian cultures class talks about it vaguely, never really teaches anything >.<

I’m not a hypocrite, however I think my goverment is absolutely one…

Don’t invest in South Korea. There is no future.

English Language point (I was a teacher)

Noun - Person: Hypocrite
Noun - Quality: Hypocrisy
Adjective: Hypocritical
Adverb: Hypocritically
Verb, Intransitive: To talk out of one’s bottom.

Famous quotation: Jesus, in Matthew 7:35
“Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam in thine own eye, then shalt thou see clearly”

Good News Bible version:
"And Jesus adjusted his quiff and said ‘Thou resembleth the pot which hath calle’d the kettle to be black’ "

Kenshin, it is interesting to hear about S Korea and how it all verily sucketh. In the UK (and I guess USA) South Korea is held up as a shining goodie country by virtue of contrast with the ‘axis of evil’ north.
The more negative and depressing a statement is, the more likely it is to be approaching a true representation of the facts, so I believe what you say about the hypocrisy of your state.

Question - does it make a difference to the reprehensibility of hypocrisy whether that hypocrisy is relatively transparent or more subtle? Is blatant lying worse than lying where hardly anyone sees the untruth [cough]tonyblair[/cough]?

Originally posted by DryBaboon

Kenshin, it is interesting to hear about S Korea and how it all verily sucketh. In the UK (and I guess USA) South Korea is held up as a shining goodie country by virtue of contrast with the ‘axis of evil’ north.
The more negative and depressing a statement is, the more likely it is to be approaching a true representation of the facts, so I believe what you say about the hypocrisy of your state.

Question - does it make a difference to the reprehensibility of hypocrisy whether that hypocrisy is relatively transparent or more subtle? Is blatant lying worse than lying where hardly anyone sees the untruth [cough]tonyblair[/cough]?

South Korea cannot be compared with North Korea. South Korea represents the progressive part of Korea that is open to the world and the industrial revolution. North Korea is completely retrogressive and extremely nationalistic and anti-foreign. The modern history of Korea is the struggle between the two groups. In Japan, the revolutionaries won: Meiji Yusin in the late 1850s and the early 1860s. In the rest of east Asia, the revolutionaries lost. I belong to the extreme radical group of individuals among Koreans that want this country to be open, futuristic, cosmopolitan, multinational, etc. which is why I have so many bitter enemies everywhere I go on South Korean web space.

Western politicians and other public officials are relatively transparent I think. The English language is far more logical and scientific than the Korean language and the Chinese langauge. It is often useful to translate one way or the other to understand what one really wants to say. I from time to time work for the central government of South Korea translating the official documents from Korean to English and vice versa. Language is the media to communicate one’s thinking to others. The most important thing to keep in mind in doing the South Korean governmental works is not to make it easy to understand for anyone, especially for foreigners.

BTW, I also taught English in schools, armies, and companies, not as a full-time teacher though.

Were dose this come in to play with music games or movies

Originally posted by G00SEISL00SE
Were dose this come in to play with music games or movies

?

they call this cdfreaks.com you know what dose being a hypotic have to do with games, movies, or music.

sorry for the spelling

[B]They call this cdfreaks.com you know, what does being a hypocrite have to do with games, movies, or music?

sorry for the spelling [/B]

This is the living room area of the forum and thus topics do not have to be related to cd-burning activities. Its in the description.

:cool:

Edit:

I made some corrections to the original message so people would understand

they call this cdfreaks.com you know what dose being a hypotic have to do with games, movies, or music.

I just thought of a connection between hypocrisy and CDfreaks policy on posting about breaking cd copy protections etc, but then I remembered that making a personal backup copy is completely legal and fine. None of us has ever, ever, made a second copy or - dare I say it - shared a copy with someone else.
;|