Are you afraid of Americans? Q + A time

vbimport

How about a discussion with those of you who are afraid of us (U.S.) and those who resent U.S. (us). I think a lot could be sorted out and real people cold talk and get a real understanding of what “Americans” think. I am sure we will get right and left and center wingnuts but it would be interesting . I think a lot of people hate us, from what I have been reading lately in this forum. We are supposedly “the most ignorant”. Let’s talk. I personally hate no groups of people in the world. I feel sorry for some peoples who are living oppressed (North Korea i.e.) but I hate no groups or think no groups have a monopoly on ignorance. Any takers? Why do you fear U.S?

I’ve travelled widely in the U.S. over the years and found the people to be pretty much the same as everywhere else: some good, some bad, some friendly, some ignorant, etc.

It’s your leaders that are scary… especially when their lips are moving!

Sláinte

midders

They are the only ones who’ll take the job. I had the same experience in the U.K., I would kill for some Fish n Chips though. I can’t get the recipe right here. They just don’t taste the same.
Putin just blamed us for the Georgia conflict, he says we were behind it. I wouldn’t put it past “W” (Bush in formal speak) but I don’t think he is that smart (but he could be that dumb).

[QUOTE=midders;2118320]

It’s your leaders that are scary… especially when their lips are moving!

Sláinte

midders[/QUOTE]

Hint: We already know that.:iagree: Thank the good lord the current regime will be out in 4 1/2 months.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Zathros;2118322]They are the only ones who’ll take the job. I had the same experience in the U.K.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that anybody who wants political power should be immediately banned from ever having it! Anyone seen “Harrison Bergeron”, an interesting film where they pick the president for the next term at random from the phonebook…

… I would kill for some Fish n Chips though. I can’t get the recipe right here. They just don’t taste the same.

You’re probably using clean oil to deep fry it :rolleyes: For that authentic taste you should always make sure that the oil is at least two weeks old and has already been used to fry at least three of the following :p:

1. several tonnes of out-of-date potatoes
  2. a small but significant percentage of the remaining atlantic stocks of cod, covered in batter made from off-beer and cigarette ash
  3. a random assortment of Mars Bars, Malteasers, the odd cockroach and a couple of hairs from the chippy’s dog
  4. anything that fell on the floor of the chippy on it’s journey between the fridge/freezer and the customer’s plate
  5. a selection of baked beans, half-tomatoes, and bits of egg and bacon that fell into the fryer when being taken off the grill above

When cooked, cover the results in watered-down vinegar and salt that is about 50% sodium carbonate to prevent it turning into one big lump in the corrosive atmosphere, then wrap in old newspaper and sit on for the length of the journey home from the chippy. Tah-dah :wink:

… Putin just blamed us for the Georgia conflict, he says we were behind it. I wouldn’t put it past “W” (Bush in formal speak) but I don’t think he is that smart (but he could be that dumb).

I think Robin Williams said it best when he came up with the idea that Reagan was Disney’s last wish; I think maybe he started a trend…

Sláinte

midders

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2118328]Hint: We already know that.:iagree: Thank the good lord the current regime will be out in 4 1/2 months.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

It is a regime isn’t it. I hope the rest of the world realizes we realize that too. It will straighten itself out here. I have complete faith in that. This next election will be close but either candidate will be way better than W. I think the rest of the world would be surprised how many people have to go along with the President for him to get what he wants. That is where the hope lies as his power base and the people who put him there know how much they have lost. The next president may find himself quite impotent. The biggest chane for the world will be when America changes it’s energy sources. We will become more self sufficient. If we can pull it off there will be less pressure on the world for energy. IMHO. We don’t want anybody’s country. We don’t want your home. It may just seem like that. I hope Europe can defend itself. I know we can defend ourselves. Seeing how we get most of our oil from Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, one might wonder why we care so much for the middle east. We are protecting Europe’s oil. We don’t want you shopping in our backyard and raising the prices even more. America uses less oil than it did 20 years ago. Consumption is flat.

ZATHROS
I know a lot of countries don’t like the UNITED STATES
but that’s fine. AMERICAN’S are the most caring generous
people in the world. ANERICANS,always try to help people
in the world who are starving,suffer natural disasters,
and need help when attacked. An example the oil producing
nations are very rich,but because of religious hatred and ideology
will not help starving nations,or who suffer other disasters.
We in AMERICA worked hard and suffered greatly for our society
did we make some mistakes sure. Yes we expaned our land
form native americans but remember they attacked us first
out of fears.Were there atrocities done?, sure on both sides.
The difference is we have apologized,over and over again
to these groups,and others. Most american people are just
normal hard working people who can barley make a living
but, because our religious beliefs tell us to help others we
always try as best we can. So to the other countries that don’t
like it I say tough cookies,and start singing THE STAR SPANGLED
BANNER. ZAP.

I had a friend of mine from Venezuela and we watched Gettysburg together. I am almost trilingual and I explained the movie as we watched it. He was oblivious to the Civil war and when he heard how many had died on that one day in Gettysburg to ensure the freedom for all here (which I agree took long and still is ongoing) he was flabbergasted and said he now understood “us” a little better. We watched saving Private Ryan, same scenario. No idea how many Americans, British, Canadians, and other freedom loving peoples died on those beaches. I started this thread in the hope that some of the people here would look inward and maybe stop blaming us for all of the world’s problem and ask themselves , “What has their country offered?”. Europe is heading towards some uneasy times. They have no energy deposits of their own and if I lived there I would be very worried about who is holding the valve for their energy. I spent 2.5 months in England and must admit I feel the U.K. is a kindred country. I can’t say that about the other countries. I have been “lectured” by many Europeans that I have met visiting America. I always end up thinking, go home now.

I would be interested in hearing from people outside the United States EXACTLY what President Bush has done that has hurt the country they call home.

UTR
A lot of the rant’s are just idelogical. It’s like he dosen’t
believe the way we do so duh? him bad? our guy good?.
It’s just silly. While BUSH did make some mistakes especially
on the oil front. I find that most politicians are the same
promise the choir everything deliver nothing.
ZAP.

I just am interested in hearing what he has done as president that has harmed another country. I guess one could say Iraq and Afghanistan were harmed but even that is not necessarily so considering the improved living conditions for their populations. I’m just trying to understand what personal impacts occurred to those people that have a low opinion of the USA and/or Bush.

I’m just trying to understand what personal impacts occurred to those people that have a low opinion of the USA and/or Bush.

corruption is everywhere, but when our leaders do not hide the fact they are corrupt. every single american and non-american, which has any common, present knowledge of our current events knows this. but still we just let it happen. and not just let it happen once but twice!!

corruption is everywhere, we can not stop corruption. the degree of the corruption has reached new levels. i still try to hold a more positive view of the future and beleive that eventually we as Americans will work things out.

i do not beleive it will be in my life time. our country will have to almost collapse in our time before it gets better right now. but i still think that in future it will slowly get better and not collapse. at least i hope.

[i have such a negative view, i cannot express, here, how i really feel.]

troy512,

I’m not saying there is no corruption but that isn’t an answer to my question as to what has personally happened to someone outside our country that would make them hate the USA and/or Bush. I think we are all fed a mental diet of political hate talk (from ALL sides) and when pushed to give concrete physical reasons why a person is bad most of us can’t name any. For example, what has Bush done that has personally affected the life of the average French citizen in a negative way? I’m not talking about some ideological thing but an actual, honest to God, negative physical impact.

[QUOTE=UTR;2118477]troy512,

I’m not saying there is no corruption but that isn’t an answer to my question as to what has personally happened to someone outside our country that would make them hate the USA and/or Bush. I think we are all fed a mental diet of political hate talk (from ALL sides) and when pushed to give concrete physical reasons why a person is bad most of us can’t name any. For example, what has Bush done that has personally affected the life of the average French citizen in a negative way? I’m not talking about some ideological thing but an actual, honest to God, negative physical impact.[/QUOTE]

That is what I have been wondering. I honestly think it is because a lot of people envy us. The grass seems greener on the other side of the fence and in this case it more than likely is. I have never met an immigrant who has said, “I had it better in the old country”. They may have fond memories of their home land but that’s about it.

How did this topic turn into “I hate Bush he did everything wrong”

Wow people no wonder why everyone hates us.

I was hoping after reading the title we might get a better understanding of how other think of us but I guess not

I as an American and have been for 34 of my 36 years has to say that I once believed in our nation but now I don’t believe in it no more, I have no more dreams and only wished the world would turn upside down. Not hang by a thread as we are now. I don’t think it is an issue just in the U.S. but I think it is more a world wide ordeal. We have allowed so much to happen and be molded into what the government or other higher sources want us to be or face the consequences for believing or being different. My faith (trust) that I once had is no longer. When we have a president that was supposed to be impeached one year and he said he would resigned plus many more in our history that are issues and then was covered up how would that make you feel as these people are supposed to be an example to what a model well formed community is supposed to be. Yep this is more along the lines of corruption but felt the need to voice myself At the same time we can go a bit lower on the authority scale and I’ll mention a police officer ordeal that took place just a few weeks back. These types of people are looked up upon and idled for serving. At the same time they are supposed to set an example but when you hear very profound language coming from one it makes you also look into what we are in and realize there really is no way out. Corruption is everywhere and I feel the plague will be near revelations will revolutionize the world and that is all I have to look for.

It is truly sad when you don’t trust or believe in your own country.

why would you be afraid of anyone…no matter what country they are from? You are the only one who is responsible for fear, and with fear comes power…you don’t fear them and they can’t control you…

it is funny how we listen to those around us and form our ideas and opinons based soley on that information. I had family that lived in michigan…and even when they were in college their professors told them that people in the south lived in plank houses with dirt floors and no running water or lights…they came and visited us thinking we lived this way and were shocked to see …we had brick houses and flooring …central heat and air…and running water …they even took pics to take back to their COLLEGE professor…

no matter what country you live in…there are good people…no so good people and those indifferent people…

Dr. Who,

With all due respect, IMO, you have swallowed all the hype and disinformation that we are bombarded with on a daily basis. The history of mankind is full of corruption, bad deeds and downright evil. Compare today’s world with that of just 200 years ago. Today is MUCH better from nearly all aspects. This includes corruption, bigotry, racism, genocide, slavery etc. Mankind is moving forward in a positive direction. Sometimes we take a step backwards but overall we are improving. Just look at the people in your family and those you know personally. Are they all corrupt? If what you say is true then they have to be. My personal circle of people I know are basically hard working, decent, humane individuals. If we all had your attitude then we would be doomed. Instead there are people that have faith in mankind and are working in whatever way they can to make the world a little better. I try to be one of these people and although I may not be successful in having a huge impact individually I trust that many small contributions from numerous individuals can result in a huge positive impact over time.

Sexy_Southerner,

I think you have hit on one of the single biggest problems we face in this country. That is people won’t think things out for themselves. Too many will blindly believe what they are told instead of questioning what they hear and sifting through the crap to find the real truth. This very trait is what most politicians exploit to gain followers. This and the fact too many people expect the government to solve their problems instead of taking responsibility for their own lives.

Not so much of fear but rather I don’t trust no one, yes this includes family as well. I have one set of friends 2 to be exact and those 2 are the ones I can trust my life with. The rest are just people I know and ok with that’s it.

UTR I see your point.

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2118588]How did this topic turn into “I hate Bush he did everything wrong”

Wow people no wonder why everyone hates us.

I was hoping after reading the title we might get a better understanding of how other think of us but I guess not[/QUOTE]

I believe most people do not understand the U.S. system of government. They believe the president has more power than he really has. The other misconception that I have read in other parts of this foreign has more to do with multi-national corporations who lobby to protect what they believe is theirs. Many American sounding companies are owned by many stockholders from all over the world. If you don’t believe in your country anymore maybe you should ask, “What have I done lately?”. What do you bring to the table.

@ Dr.Who: I am not so sure about what exactly is meant by what “America has covered up”. If it was covered up you wouldn’t know and would have nothing to be angry about. Police corruption takes place everywhere. Racism takes place everywhere. Family is a whole 'nother matter. That happens everywhere.

Do people expect America to straighten out the world? We didn’t mess it up, at least not as much as the British have.:bigsmile: