Are we alone in the Universe?

God says there is no-one else in the universe and man controls his own destiny.

Some of the smartest men in the world claim they have evidence of other life, often this evidence could be attributed to somone dropping a piece of week old pizza in the rock samples, despite the protests that it is authentic.

What are your thoughts?

With there being 100 billion stars in our own galaxy alone, not to mention another 100 billion or so galaxies strewn about the universe, I’d say the odds for there being life outside of our solar system are overwhelmingly high. With numbers so vast, I’d tend to think other life forms are fairly common. Of course there’s no way to prove it at this time.

Don’t know what to believe. The chances though that we are not alone (or meeting other civilisations) are limmited… But there’s always the chance[…] :slight_smile:

There must be something out there…
When we find them, let our new leader, Mr Skywalker, use the force to build a clone army, and invade the buggers! :slight_smile:

it would be a damn great waste of space :bigsmile:

(i know it is a stolen phrase, but nice jodie was soooo right! :bigsmile: )

Come to the chat and see the proof of alien existence :slight_smile:

Fact : There is an infinite amount of planets
Fact : Not all planets have life

Conclusion : There is a finite amount of planets that have life

Finite compared to infinite nears 0.00000000000000etc…

so therefore… there is NO life in the Universe

© Douglas Adams

Unless proven otherwise, I will keep the hope of better kinds of intelligent life forms. :slight_smile:

I think our time is better spent looking for signs of intelligent life HERE.

I see we have two very very very ignorant members on board. Just because humans are stupid and takes them quarter of a century to get near the edge of the solar system doesn’t mean other life forms, or should I say more advanced civilizations, take as long to go from point A to point B in the universe. Yup, humans are just plain stupid.

I think our time is better spent looking for signs of intelligent life HERE.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Fact : There is an infinite amount of planets

???

How can that be true?

Too many planets for there to be only life here. I am pretty sure that there is atleast one planet out there that has the same situation as us. Not too far from a sun and not too near. We havent even explored a fraction of space so far. Somewhere out there is a planet that has life forms, it will just take time to find it :slight_smile:

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
[B]

???

How can that be true? [/B]

Sine there is an enourmos large number of solarsystem (that large that we call it infinite) it’s quite clear that there are infinite planets.

I recently saw something on the Discovery channel, where some scientist announced the unproven fact that this ain’t the only universe around… he thinks that there may be an infinite number if universes.

I guess that the chance that there is no other intelligent lift in the universe is about 0,000000000000000000000000000001%, or less.
There are even scientist that think they’ve proved that lots of things we known on earth as a matter of fact come from Mars…

Originally posted by debro
[B]God says there is no-one else in the universe and man controls his own destiny.

Some of the smartest men in the world claim they have evidence of other life, often this evidence could be attributed to somone dropping a piece of week old pizza in the rock samples, despite the protests that it is authentic.

What are your thoughts? [/B]

When did God say there was no one else in the universe? I don’t recall hearing this or reading it. Also the statement, the smartest men in the world claim they have evidence, as of yet no one has conclusive evidence one way or the other. In reality, mathematically speaking there is a very high probability of other life in the universe, whether or not that life is intelligent enough to communicate with us or come to this planet is another question. Indeed it would be very difficult for anyone to find us here considering how many other places there is to look for life in this universe. and communication also poses a huge problem as even the nearest star (other than our sun) would take years to send a message to, using current technologies. If they used a different technology than our own to attempt communication would we detect it? I think we will be stuck with only a ‘best guess’ type of answer for quite some time for this question.

Multiverse. Man, that Jet Li movie kicks ass. And of course, you have the multi-dimension theory of Sliders. There you go, infinite planets.

It is better that you Earthlings don’t know the truth. :cool:

I do not know whether there is any other iintelligent life form out there, but i am pretty sure that there is some form of life either viral or bacterial somewhere, maybe near us. This is sometjing very logical and likely, and even the existenze of such “small” life forms is still a big breakthrough…

Originally posted by Hemispasm
I do not know whether there is any other iintelligent life form out there.

You’d hope so “since there’s bu**er all down here on earth” :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: (courtesy monty python’s “Meaning of Life”).

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Fact : There is an infinite amount of planets
Fact : Not all planets have life

Conclusion : There is a finite amount of planets that have life

Finite compared to infinite nears 0.00000000000000etc…

so therefore… there is NO life in the Universe

© Douglas Adams [/B]

My thoughts exactly. The probability of finding life on another planet is so minute, that it can statistically be safely ignored.

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
Too many planets for there to be only life here. I am pretty sure that there is atleast one planet out there that has the same situation as us. Not too far from a sun and not too near. We havent even explored a fraction of space so far. Somewhere out there is a planet that has life forms, it will just take time to find it :slight_smile:

We can’t stray too far though. The milky way (which we are part of) is hedged in by no less than 16 black holes. So even if we do go pretty far, the universe has a big fence that we have to find some way around.

The problem with black holes is that you can’t see them, and hence don’t realise they are there until suddenly your engines don’t seem to do a damn thing anymore.