Are Verbatim-branded blank DVDs with AML mediacodes legit?

vbimport

I just found some different-looking Verbatims on sale at one of my local retailers, and from the looks of it a lot of the neighboring stores are also carrying the same “new” Verbs… and one obvious difference (at least for me) is that they’re not made by CMC nor Prodisc, nor are they MCC with their usual markings… they’re AML - which I believe is made in HK?

So… are these legit? I haven’t burned anything on them yet, I asked for 2 samples of each (+ and -) and am quite doubtful of their quality.

[QUOTE=evo69;2501049]I just found some different-looking Verbatims on sale at one of my local retailers, and from the looks of it a lot of the neighboring stores are also carrying the same “new” Verbs… and one obvious difference (at least for me) is that they’re not made by CMC nor Prodisc, nor are they MCC with their usual markings… they’re AML - which I believe is made in HK?

So… are these legit? I haven’t burned anything on them yet, I asked for 2 samples of each (+ and -) and am quite doubtful of their quality.[/QUOTE]

:eek: Could you post some pictures of the packaging and media themselves?

[QUOTE=pepst;2501056]:eek: Could you post some pictures of the packaging and media themselves?[/QUOTE]

I don’t have a photo of the packaging, but from what I saw (at a glance) they were similar to the packaging of CMC- and Prodisc-manufactured discs. As for the discs, here they are:

The “hatched” area in the middle is actually made up of diagonal embossed ridges as seen in the pics, and gives the disc a texture that is quite different form what I have seen before. And to make matters worse… I just noticed that the DVD-R samples are UME02… I’m guessing these aren’t legit then? (Or have Verbatim become super stingy all of a sudden?) Theses are priced the same as the real Verbs that I have used from time immemorial…

DVD-R mediacode:

read DVD structure [0E]
00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 84 0D 11  .l...@....R.....
66 78 90 00 03 55 4D 45 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00  fx...UME02......
00 00 00 00 05 A8 82 00 20 00 02 00 06 09 09 15  ........ .......
A9 9A 90 00 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 07 11 0C  ................
10 0B 06 00 09 95 07 0D 0B 68 88 00 0A 80 00 00  .........h......
00 00 10 00 0B 08 16 17 96 88 85 00 0C B7 89 33  ...............3
83 30 33 00 0D 00 00 D0 00 00 00 00 00 00        .03...........

DVD+R mediacode:

read DVD structure [00]
08 02 00 00 01 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F  .............&.?
00 00 00 00 00 00 07 41 4D 4C 00 00 00 00 00 30  .......AML.....0
30 33 01 38 23 54 37 12 02 54 6C 02 92 5F 15 15  03.8#T7..Tl.._..
0B 0B 08 08 01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0D 01 00 00 00 00  ................
00 00 00 00 01 00 38 38 02 2C 5A 1A 05 2E 23 10  ......88.,Z...#.
04 1E 1D 01 00 00 02 2C 5A 1A 05 2E 23 10 04 1E  .......,Z...#...
1D 01 00 00 02 00 54 70 02 30 63 3C 24 14 0C 0C  ......Tp.0c<$...

The markings on the underside of the DVD+R is [B]DVD+R 6P164[/B].

I didn’t have a good experience with AML media (DVD+R, and Double-Sided +R) when I used it 2-3 years ago, I’m not talking about scanning results, but discs that failed to read after 2-3 months.
They might have improved, but… who knows?
UME media… bad experience too.
Other people might have had good luck using them, I didn’t.

[QUOTE=camellote;2501088]I didn’t have a good experience with AML media (DVD+R, and Double-Sided +R) when I used it 2-3 years ago, I’m not talking about scanning results, but discs that failed to read after 2-3 months.
They might have improved, but… who knows?
UME media… bad experience too.
Other people might have had good luck using them, I didn’t.[/QUOTE]

…weeell… I don’t trust any non-MCC/MKM coded Verbatim/Mitsubishi media, hence the reason for asking. I can definitely say that AML and UME are generally bad/cheap media that’s why this discovery comes as a surprise for me.

I don’t want to believe that Verbatim has started some serious cost-cutting by changing manufacturing processes, but that’s still doubtful since they have all this MCC/MKM technology that just incredibly good.

…not to prematurely end this “investigation”, I’m guessing these discs are not legit (in any way) then?

Verbatim was selling dvd’s (and maybe cd’s) from ritek, so i wont be surprised if the want to cut dont the cost, anyway thats not very good news.

btw, the one that are made in the UAE are excellent media.

[QUOTE=evo69;2501097]…weeell… I don’t trust any non-MCC/MKM coded Verbatim/Mitsubishi media, hence the reason for asking. I can definitely say that AML and UME are generally bad/cheap media that’s why this discovery comes as a surprise for me.

I don’t want to believe that Verbatim has started some serious cost-cutting by changing manufacturing processes, but that’s still doubtful since they have all this MCC/MKM technology that just incredibly good.

…not to prematurely end this “investigation”, I’m guessing these discs are not legit (in any way) then?[/QUOTE]

They are most likely fakes (printed and packaged by some shady distributor) unless MKM started to outsource Umedisc’s media for their “Pearl White” line, which would not surprise me too much. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=vroom;2501107]Verbatim was selling dvd’s (and maybe cd’s) from ritek,[/QUOTE]The “Extra Protection” CD sold here in Germany are made from several manufacturers (MBI, CMC, TY,…) with their own MID.

Michael

I usually get the made in india cd’s from verbatim, only once i was able to get MIJ so far it’s hard to find some cd’s with vermadims mid here.

Verbatim selling UmeDisc DVDRs is quite shocking :eek:
I really hope these are fakes.

[QUOTE=Womi;2501157]Verbatim selling UmeDisc DVDRs is quite shocking :eek:
I really hope these are fakes.[/QUOTE]

Just imagine my concern when I saw these. Once I get the chance to go back and see the packaging of the discs themselves (if they don’t match up with the place of manufacture) then I’ll definitely know that these are fakes. The main reason for alarm was also due to the fact that the store where these supposedly “fakes” come from is a prime retailer/distributor of blank media locally, and is one of the only places where I could get printable Verbs as well as other stuff intended for Europe… it’s also the only place that I know of where TY could be ordered.

Need to investigate this some more - I might even personally alert the proprietor about the situation…

According to the Chinese forum CDBEST, the AML and UME verbs are all legit. They are made in China for the China Mainland market. Some forum members have reported that the AML (+R) gives quite exceptional results, better than the current crops of MCC 004 from Taiwan CMC. The UME (-R) ones are less desirable.

looking at my Verbatim MCC04 (same media 16x +R) media I see the Verbatim white print along the inner hub. This is missing from the pictures here.

[QUOTE=FactFinder;2501217]They are made in China for the China Mainland market.[/QUOTE]

Well lets hope they keep them over there in the China Mainland and they don’t
show up here in the States any time soon. :eek: :doh:

Here in Vancouver, I have seen more and more MIUAE (100 pk) and MII (50 pk) Verbies and less and less MIT ones.

I don’t have a photo of the packaging, but from what I saw (at a glance) they were similar to the packaging of CMC- and Prodisc-manufactured discs.

That’s not good enough. Similar doesn’t mean anything. Did it say AZO on the package?

If you see any Verbatim packaging that does not explicitly say AZO on the outside, then the media is not manufactured by Mitsubishi, but that doesn’t mean it’s fake.

If the package says AZO but the media inside does not have MCC or MKM media codes, then that would be fake media.

This is just lower-grade media, intended for a different market.

Verbatim also produces a Value Series of media which is manufactured by Ritek with Ritek media codes, that was previously only sold in Latin America, but is now in the states. Once again, the packages for this media do not say AZO on the outside.

It’s obvious that due to economic pressure, Verbatim is diversifying their range of outsourced manufacturers. This is something we’ll just have to get used to.

[QUOTE=evo69;2501086]I don’t have a photo of the packaging, but from what I saw (at a glance) they were similar to the packaging of CMC- and Prodisc-manufactured discs. .[/QUOTE]

May I know if there is

• an indication [B]“ Made in ? ”[/B]
  • and a number [B]“ Verbatim # . . . . . “ [/B]
    on the packaging ?

I still haven’t been able to go back to where I saw these… sorry guys. Real life is taking too much of my time. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll keep you updated and take photos of the packaging when I have the opportunity to do so.

…back to work.

Didn’t get to take photos of the packaging - but I’m certain they were Made in China… still haven’t gotten to testing the samples I got since I’m still too preoccupied with stuff, but I do hope to shed more light on them and see if these MIC discs deserve the Verbatim branding…