Are un-finalized discs recorded on ES35V playable on other Panasonic models?

vbimport

Hello,

Maybe I’m not the only one who has a small library of un-finalized discs made on a Panasonic. They are unplayable now that my ES35V is flashing the ominous “U61.”:frowning: Does anyone know if the discs are playable on other Panasonic models?

Thanks!

They should be playable/finalizable on any other Panasonic DVDR. I’d use a '04 and newer to be sure and get thumbnails and it’s possible because of the condition of the disc that some may not finalize. I once finalized a dozen or so Panasonic discs for someone in the same predicament, I wasn’t going to take any money(he posted a Craigslist.org ad offering money) but after his insistence and about an hour(several of his discs were only partially recorded so they took longer) I took the $20.
You could also buy a old working Panny, finalize your discs and then resell it for what you paid.
Check out this thread which tells what year and features are on Panasonic DVDRs.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909

[QUOTE=jjeff;2597507]They should be playable/finalizable on any other Panasonic DVDR. I’d use a '04 and newer to be sure and get thumbnails and it’s possible because of the condition of the disc that some may not finalize. I once finalized a dozen or so Panasonic discs for someone in the same predicament, I wasn’t going to take any money(he posted a Craigslist.org ad offering money) but after his insistence and about an hour(several of his discs were only partially recorded so they took longer) I took the $20.
You could also buy a old working Panny, finalize your discs and then resell it for what you paid.
Check out this thread which tells what year and features are on Panasonic DVDRs.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help. This is very confusing because I received the answer below from Panasonic:

[B]
Unfortunately no. Un-finalized discs made on the DMRES35 will need to be finalized on the DMRES35 or another
DMRES35.[/B]

Your experience, though, sounds as if this were not true. Any thoughts? Thanks!

[QUOTE=tjtsixty3;2597709]Thanks for your help. This is very confusing because I received the answer below from Panasonic:

[B]
Unfortunately no. Un-finalized discs made on the DMRES35 will need to be finalized on the DMRES35 or another
DMRES35.[/B]

Your experience, though, sounds as if this were not true. Any thoughts? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Jeff is correct and Panasonic is wrong. I routinely swap unfinalized discs between my ES, EH and EZ series Panasonics (including several DMR-ES35 models) for additional recording and/or finalizing.

Nothing to do with Panasonic but I’m able to use unfinalized discs between my Magnavox players as well as a SV unit if I set the “compatibility” setting . The only unit I have that has to finalize before my other units can play discs recorded on it is my Presidian . The internals of all these are made by Funai.