Are two drives better than one?

vbimport

I copy a lot of CDs for friends and family and have two separate drives currently. I am looking at a new computer which only has one drive and my question is when you copy a CD using two separate drives do the files go into and out through the computer to the burner drive or does one drive directly burn it onto the other? Would there be any quality difference at all between two drives or one or do they go through the same process?

Sorry for the dumb question and thanks.

[QUOTE=moon unit;2098831]I copy a lot of CDs for friends and family and have two separate drives currently. I am looking at a new computer which only has one drive and my question is when you copy a CD using two separate drives do the files go into and out through the computer to the burner drive or does one drive directly burn it onto the other? Would there be any quality difference at all between two drives or one or do they go through the same process?

Sorry for the dumb question and thanks.[/QUOTE]

First if you going to do copy on the fly you should get the same drives. But you must have the following setups required…Copy on the Fly goes from one drive to the other which is why separate channels are recommend or you computer will balk at you…and create problems and coasters aglore…

1. Same Burner units.
  2. Multicore or Quadcore CPU
  3. Lots of RAM depending on the O/S your using.
  4. Right Software
  5. Each drive connected to separate Sata channels or IDE on each separate channles.
  6. Good PS
  7. Not Multitask or web surf as this becomes a CPU and Memory and sometimes HDD intensive applications requiring all you computer resources.
  8. Make sure you know what your spending and is it worth your money.

might be more but that how I would go with the setup…

Yo-

Suggestion - you say that you copy a lot of CD’s for friends and family - #1 you do not want to copy ‘on the fly’ for best results - #2 two drives simplifies life to no end - most important is to get a good cd burner - suggest a Pioneer 115 or 116 if you are on a pata setup or the Pioneer 215 or 216 if you are on a sata setup - as you will find the Pioneer drives to be excellent DC-R writers-eh!!

with current drives and media on-the-fly is no problem. just dont try to burn at max speed. for the safest burn at half the speed of your drives read speed.

and i would suggest Nero Burning ROM 7.10.1.0, but only for on-the-fly.

otherwise use ImgBurn much better program.

I think I should have clarified my question - my current (older) computer has two separate drives, a DVD drive and a CD/RW drive and I just pop a CD in the DVD drive and a blank CD into the CD/RW - pretty standard stuff. What I want to know is if burning CDs this way is a direct copy from DVD drive to CD/RW drive or does the computer “process” the info from the DVD drive and then transfer it to the CD/RW drive. If it is a direct copy between drives would that be any better quality than ripping a CD onto the hard drive and then burning it onto a blank CD? The computer I am looking to get has only one drive capable of playing or burning DVDs or CDs.

Also, what does “copy on the fly” mean exactly?

Thanks again and it should be obvious by now that I am truly a newbie. :flower:

what software are you using?

copy on-the-fly, copy from cd-drive to cd-drive in real time [minus buffers].

normal copy is from cd-drive to hard drive to cd-drive.

typically copy to hard drive then burn is better. especially with (older) computer.

again what software are you using? what software do you have installed?

thanks

I am using Roxio CD creator, the software that came loaded on my current computer - it works fine and makes quality copies.

So if I am looking to get a new computer, would two separate drives give me any better quality CDs than a single drive that does it all?

Thanks

would two separate drives give me any better quality CDs than a single drive that does it all?

best to use two drives [do not have to be same drives]

advantage, the drive will not be warm from reading. cooled and ready to write.

advantage, the source and destination are pre-loaded and ready to go. [when this is available you will be glad you have it]

again with cd’s on-the-fly is no problem.

I am using Roxio CD creator,… it works fine and makes quality copies.

please try imgburn.

Even if you don’t do CD’s or DVD’s on the fly (IE, letting them copy to the HDD first then to the target disc) 2 drives are better just for convenience: you can put the 2 disc’s in, click away, and not be bothered to change disc’s till it’s finished!

Other than that, the ending quality will be the same reguardless if you have 1 drive or 2.

Alway been a fan of a 2 drive setup…

Way back, when writers were expensive, you kept the run-time of the writer down to a minimum by using it only for write, though that is not such an issue now.

Certainly, for copying, using two drives with imaging, rather than on the fly, is the best way, as the source will be fully read before beginning the write, but with no reloading needed.

If you trust the underrun recovery to deal with slowdowns, and are happy to waste a media if the read fails, then you could go on the fly - underrun recovery makes it a lot safer than it used to be, though if using on the fly copying, the two drives should not be sharing an IDE channel as that will cause them to choke each other.