Are these Verbatim DVD-R's fake?

I was at my local dollar store today, and they sell two packs of Verbatim DVD-R. The pack of two was $1. They come in a slim DVD case. It says at the bottom “Packaged in Canada by Media Plus” and the code at the top is “06-0601420”. The disks look fine, and the code in the center clear part of them is MAP628LEO322OO89 and then there is a anther easier to read code on the purple part that says ZD9471-DVR-J47F4.

Are they real disks just re-packaged by someone else? Should I trust them?

DVD Identifier says Mitsubishi Chemical Corp, and Manufacturer ID is 03RG20.

I also have these cheap “Retail Plus” DVD’s from Wal-Mart I use to burn things that I am only going to use once. And DVD Identifier says they are Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. MCC 004. What’s up with that?

Hi [B]mitts2010[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

The stamper and hub codes show you have genuine Verbatim MCC 03RG20 media manufactured for Verbatim by CMC in Taiwan.

The info provided by DVD Identifier only tells you about the media code and the company who owns that media code, but DVD Identifier cannot tell “fake” media codes from genuine media codes.

The Retail Plus DVDs may or may not be genuine. Look for a stamper code of the form ZDxxxx-DVR-xxxx (like the Verbatim 16x DVD-R), and if it’s not there, then those Retail Plus DVDs are not genuine MCC 004.

Awesome, thanks. Now I don’t need to but an whole spindle when I only need a couple. I wish they weren’t so expensive though.

[QUOTE=mitts2010;1989722]I was at my local dollar store today, and they sell two packs of Verbatim DVD-R. The pack of two was $1. They come in a slim DVD case. It says at the bottom “Packaged in Canada by Media Plus” and the code at the top is “06-0601420”. The disks look fine, and the code in the center clear part of them is MAP628LEO322OO89 and then there is a anther easier to read code on the purple part that says ZD9471-DVR-J47F4.

Are they real disks just re-packaged by someone else? Should I trust them?[/QUOTE]

Sounds real by the codes. MAP6 and ZD codes would indicate they are the real deal. So I’d say yes, re-packaged/branded MCC (Verbatim) discs.

Do they burn well?

Hey everyone. I’m new here and also just found these Dollar store Verbatim DVD-R’s, but the numbers I found on my discs are a slight variation, and I’d like to know if they are also genuine. Here’s the numbers:
in the purple part: ZD9030-DVR-J47F4
in the clear part: MAP685LG10152129

Thanks!

The numbers indicate that the DVDs are genuine.

Hey everyone, just found a spindle of Verbatim DVD-R Lightscribe discs (16x speed, 4.7 GB)… made in India.
Is this the good stuff, or crap?
Thanks!

If you are in Europe , then Made In India Verbatim media could be good , but if in the USA , try to find Made In Taiwan Verbatim and in any location Taiwanese Verbatim is your best bet

I’m in Canada, so does that mean these dvd-r’s could give me trouble?

Look for Made In Taiwan first , if not available get the Indian ones but first try a spindle and make some scans , if they were good , buy as much as you want

I have a similar question about genuine Verbatim DVDs. The ones I purchased the 25 spool DVD+Rs at Best Buy are marked Made in Taiwan on the outer label. So that is good. I opened up the package and the discs are green. (?) Never used this brand before so I don’t know if this is how it is supposed to look.

The number on the center silver ring is: ZE0941-DVR-T47D-H12CBG-C. There is also a number on the clear part around the center hole: G PAPA15QA16084885. Can you tell me if this is a fake or a real verbatim DVD. Thanks so much. Let me know if you need any other information.

[QUOTE=Franwill;2628962]I have a similar question about genuine Verbatim DVDs. The ones I purchased the 25 spool DVD+Rs at Best Buy are marked Made in Taiwan on the outer label. So that is good. I opened up the package and the discs are green. (?) Never used this brand before so I don’t know if this is how it is supposed to look.

The number on the center silver ring is: ZE0941-DVR-T47D-H12CBG-C. There is also a number on the clear part around the center hole: G PAPA15QA16084885. Can you tell me if this is a fake or a real verbatim DVD. Thanks so much. Let me know if you need any other information.[/QUOTE]
Those are real numbers for +R, but I have never seen green dye side before. They are made by CMCMAG (PAPA) which are usually very good.