Are these scans good?

vbimport

Hi I have been having some problems with this disk and my burner. Sometimes it burns ok and sometimes I get burn process failed. So I decided to change the strategy to see the outcome. I changed it to the MCC 02RG20 strategy and I got three consecutive 8x burns, which never use to happen. From the diagram below can someone instruct me as to whether or not this is a good burn? And why is it that the burner will burn the disk ok sometimes and then other times I get burn process failed? I have also noticed that whenever I reset the learnt media before I burn they burn ok, why is that? I am now on the fourth consecutive burn. Please advise me as in relation to this aspect of dvd burning I’m a novice. Thank You.

Date : 5/11/2005 9:21:52 PM
Model : 0-0-1-0 LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S JS07
Disc : DVD-R , TYG02 [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2106834
Sampling count : 97191
Errors : 16
PI Max : 277
PI Average : 13.08
PI Total : 198390
PIF Max : 23
PIF Average : 0.11
PIF Total : 1607

Date : 5/11/2005 9:36:36 PM
Model : 0-0-1-0 LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S JS07
Disc : DVD-R , TYG02 [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2286446
Sampling count : 100829
Errors : 0
PI Max : 219
PI Average : 23.65
PI Total : 384174
PIF Max : 171
PIF Average : 0.70
PIF Total : 11318

Thanks alot for the help, as well as the knowledge.

You might want to ask in the Lite-On forum as well: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

KProbe scans are usually done at 4x, it helps with comparisons. (Although 4x scanning probably won’t improve things much in these cases.)

If these are genuine Taiyo Yuden TYG02, they should burn better in a 3S series Lite-On at 8x.

If they are not Taiyo Yuden but one of the TYG02 fakes then the problem is not with the drive but with the media. So, let’s clear this first. What brand are the discs and do they have the GG000[+3 digits] stamper code near the center?

Like this:

Whats the 3S series Lite-On?

The vendors claim they are opto disk, however they do not have the GG000[+3 digits] stamper code near the center. I even bought some TDK disks like whats in the pic and they do not have the code either. Whats the best way to identify the Taiyo Yuden made disks?

please advise and thanks alot for the help.

3S is any of the Lite-On 1213S/1613S/1633S/1653S/1673S/1693S drives, sharing the same chipset and hardware design.

Your drive may be fine, but it sure sounds like you are using questionable media.

The 2 letters(GG,TG,GD,etc.)+6 digits code is the sure way to identify real TY. If the discs are branded with That’s, Fujifilm, TDK, or Sony logos, that provides additional assurance. (“Reusing” the TYG02 code may not be illegal, but putting other companies’ logos on substandard media sure is!)

TDK discs can be either Taiyo Yuden (Japan) or CMC (Taiwan) manufactured. CMC disks will have completely different serial numbers beginning with letters on the transparent plastic near the center, so the lack of the TY code is not that surprising. CMC-made TDK are good-quality discs, too. Try burning them, see how they scan.

Test the drive with branded media such as Verbatim, Fujifilm, TDK, Sony. If they work well, you can then venture into lower-quality media, but I still wouldn’t recommend it. Considering the cost of coasters and the aggravation of having to rewrite deteriorating discs a few months later or face losing the data, sticking with good-quality, branded media is well worth it.

Also TDK+R discs are RICOHJPN(generally 25pks). Sorry agent009, but CMC MAG are the Lesser quality discs than RICOHJPN

Sure, quite a few TDK-branded +R are Ritek-manufactured RICOHJPNR02s. I never said they were worse than CMCMAGE01. Or TDK002, or MBIPG101R04, or YUDEN000T02, all of which are sold as 8x-rated discs under TDK brand…