Are these real Taiyo Yudens or fakes?

I am new to buying dvd media but have read that there are knock offs of TY’s floating around. I have an Amazon gift certificate to use so I was thinking about getting these.
They are from Media Supply. Does anyone have any experience with these or should I not worry because it is through amazon? Thanks.

If you prefer online purchase, ordering from rima.com or supermediastore.com would be safe.

I have an amazon gift certificate I want to use though, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience buying these. Thanks.

those are not fake, but they are not the premium grade Taiyo Yuden

Yo-

How do you know that?

Mike

Problem 1. You will pay shipping.
Problem 2. I would be very surprised if these were real 16X media. While they may burn at 16X I would bet they are Value Line G02.

Before I would ever order I would verify the media code from the dealer. If the shipping is only $5 or so then you are OK as long as you do not expect to burn at 16X.

For another quality option at Amazon see here.

Both Verbatims are MCC and burn very well at close to TY quality.

I just got these dvds from Amazon day before yesterday. Fast delivery and the two burns so far have been the best I’ve had out of hundreds, according to Kprobe. I’m definitely sticking with Ty from now on! Oh, and Dvdidentifier shows them as TYGO3.

Here’s what Dvdidentifier says:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG03]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG03]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Hope this helps!

the mediacodes real! … what about a scan for us too?

This is my first burn at 8X. I use a stock Liteon 1633. What do you think?

Date : 7/31/2005 12:42:05 PM
Model : 1-0-0-0 LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0S
Disc : DVD-R , TYG03 [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2232857
Sampling count : 122009
Errors : 0
PI Max : 118
PI Average : 3.17
PI Total : 53861
PIF Max : 118
PIF Average : 0.09
PIF Total : 1615

If the experts agree I plan on ordering more. Thanks for your input and for having such an awesome informative site!

You need to scan at 4x instead of max speed. But given the speed, the scan looks OK.

Those are definitly real. I don’t know what price he paid with shipping but I would bet those are real.

They were around 45$ US with shipping. Here is the same disc scanned at 4X.

Date : 7/31/2005 2:15:22 PM
Model : 1-0-0-0 LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0S
Disc : DVD-R , TYG03 [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2232861
Sampling count : 127926
Errors : 0
PI Max : 15
PI Average : 3.33
PI Total : 54478
PIF Max : 2
PIF Average : 0.07
PIF Total : 1118

Still look good?

$45 USD?

What a rip-off. Stick to www.rima.com in the future. I know it seems more expensive but they don’t screw you on shipping charges the way amazon does (not to mention that they pack better and ship faster).

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1762-50&Category_Code=DMR16X

You will pay about $7 max for ground shipping on those.

Excellent

Thanks! I just ordered a spindle of 100 8X from rima.com for around 7$ more than the 50 16X from amazon. I’m a believer in Ty now for sure!

You can believe in Rima too. Great company.

PI Total : 54478
PIF Max : 2
PIF Average : 0.07
PIF Total : 1118

while those may be authentic tyg03, they may be older stock, because “newer” tyg03 on a “bad” burn should only give you 500 PIF total max. I once ordered 2 genuine batches of yuden000t02-00 (Burnmaster DVD+R 8x), but they must have been older stock, since the dye (compared to ‘fresher’ TY) was not as ‘bright’ in color and was a little more dull. The PIE values were slightly out of spec for that mid (35-40k, normally get 16-30k) on my Plextor px-716a and PIF was WAY out of spec (1000-1500 total, when I normally get 125-250 total PIF). When I called the place, while they didn’t say how long it had been sitting around, it was obvious it had sat around too long from what they did tell me (and I’ll soon be getting a fully paid RMA and refund).

Anyway, I’ve heard nothing but praise for Rima. Once my current TY stock is gone, I’ll likely be ordering from them (since I don’t see anyone stepping up to rebadge TY, as Sony and Fuji are switching to Taiwan production).