Are these Panasonic 6x blanks HTL?

vbimport

Hey guys, my stash of HTL Verbatims (which are holding up very well) is ending, and since i’ve heard only good things about Panasonic BD-R, i need to buy some.

Are these the good ones, the HTL type with inorganic dye?

Yes - these are HTL and very good discs.

I’ve also used the 4 speed LM-BRS25LT50 discs from Japan and had very good results.

A lot of members here think Panasonics are the best Blu-ray discs you can get at the moment.

[QUOTE=SteveJC;2724813]Yes - these are HTL and very good discs.

I’ve also used the 4 speed LM-BRS25LT50 discs from Japan and had very good results.

A lot of members here think Panasonics are the best Blu-ray discs you can get at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yes they are the best i ever have tested.

also get top score in longevity tests so you cant go wrong with them.

the 4x media is cheaper on ebay, and it burns up to 10x dependant
on what writer you have.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/140975789090

i bought those.

free shiping if u can wait.

i payed 4,99 to get it faster.
took 6 days from japan to norway

Well, i prefer to buy from Amazon, cause i’m afraid of fakes, and besides wasn’t there recently a scam issue with this jp-byu guy?

I searched the forum for this media’s code and it seems to work with the LiteOn iHBS-112. I’ll have to see if i have a current firmware.

Thanks for the fast help guys. :bow: :bigsmile:

Man, 6x Panasonic media isn’t even available for us Yanks officially, we have to import the products from the Japanese market.

Hehe, usually it’s the other way around. Most interesting things in the electronics/tech department are available in the US, but not here. And if available in EU, then at least 1/3 more expensive. :slight_smile:

PS: I’ll post a scan in the next week or two.

So, what should I buy for home archival purposes?
I live in US and found it hard to buy LM-BRS2MWE25 or similar old disks with ‘50 years’ or ‘long life’ logos.
There are cheaper LM-BRS25LT50 or LM-BR25LT10 or LM-BR25LT20, but are they OK?
When I first saw this “LT” suffix, I thought that Panasonic made cheap LTH junk, like other vendor did before. But there is no evidence for or against this theory. I read many posts on this forum: deanwitty wrote “The Panasonic discs in the LNE tests were obtained from Panasonic France. … they are the same discs as the LM-BRS25LT50”. But mariner8611 wrote “For non-critical use, the cheap non-archival grade LM-BRS25LT50 seems to offer good value.”. But there were no evidence for any of these statements.
So, what is the current consensus: Do LM-BRx25LTxx use the same technology as those 50-years logo disks?
Did any third party performed longevity testing on these disks?
What do people buy for home archiving?

I also explored other options:

• There are still disks on sale with 50 years and Long Life logos (or at least pictures with logos) like LM-BR25MDE - about $8 to $12 per disk, but this is too expensive.
  • there is M-Disc blu ray for about $4.5 or $5 per disk
    But did anybody verify M-Disc longevity claims yet?
  • there is also LM-BRS5MW50P with 50-year claim in the spec, but there is no Panasonic name on it.

So, what should I buy?

@jhnlmn

First off, welcome to the forums.

Second, I wouldn’t get too caught up in the marketing-speak regarding the longevity of the Panasonic discs. Their discs, regardless of variety, seem to be the best available, or at least, some of the best we can currently buy. I’ve not heard of or seen any Panasonic discs that used LTH technology, so I think you’re safe in that regard.

If you want a less expensive alternative, you might look at the FTI Falcon discs. They were not included in the one durability test that everyone seems to refer to when talking about the longevity of Panasonic media, but the FTI discs burn well and I’ve seen no deterioration in playback from them over the last 5yrs. This may not be enough evidence for you however.

And just to be clear, I bought my Falcon discs at Media Mega Mall under the SmartBlu brand. They are considerably cheaper per disc, but that site charges a lot for shipping and have a surcharge on small orders. You can see them here: http://www.mediamegamall.com/smartblu-premium-bluray-disc-25gb-silver-lacquer-print-25pk-sbr4ssh25-p-27685.html

Thank you for reply

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2726410]
Their discs, regardless of variety, seem to be the best available
[/QUOTE]

But there must be some difference between $8 per disk model and $1.5 per disk LT model. They must have cut corners one way or another.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2726410]
I’ve seen no deterioration in playback from them over the last 5yrs.
[/QUOTE]
Which model was it? LT model is new and I guess nobody used it for a long time. And there were no accelerated aging study on new models either, right?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2726410]
If you want a less expensive alternative
[/QUOTE]

In the past I was burning only about 10 home archive DVDs per year. At such a rate I do not care about price (almost).

Originally Posted by [B]Kerry56[/B]
I’ve seen no deterioration in playback from them over the last 5yrs.

Which model was it? LT model is new and I guess nobody used it for a long time. And there were no accelerated aging study on new models either, right?
I was talking about the FTI discs in that quote, not Panasonic.

Wait a bit and see if anyone else chips in with experience using the various types of Panasonic discs. Stereodude bought some not too long ago, and as memory serves, he wasn’t overly impressed with the scans he got from them. Those results may not say anything to their overall longevity though.

These blanks are really good. Burned 6x: