Are These Mitsui 2x DVD-Rs Legitimate?

These are some 2x Mitsui DVD-Rs that I came across. It was a 50-pack cakebox, shrinkwrapped both outside around the cakebox, and inside, with molded wrapping around the disks. There are two protective plastic disks on the top and bottom of the stack.

The outer shiny part of the hub ring says:

GB000137

The media code reads:

read DVD structure [0E]
00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 87 0D 13 .l…@…P…
88 99 80 00 03 54 41 49 59 4F 59 00 04 55 44 45 …TAIYOY…UDE
4E 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 N…
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

Thoughts?

Oh, and in case my question isn’t clear, I know that’s a TY hub code, I just wasn’t aware that TY was making media for Mitsui back in the 2x days. Did Mitsui ever make it’s own media with it’s own code, or was it always outsourced? Did TY make 4x and 8x disks for Mitsui as well? Note, I’m only talking about the silver-topped disks, not the gold archival stuff.

Pix pleez. :slight_smile:
Is it a normal cakebox, a modern TY cakebox or a screw-top TY cakebox?

Those sound like a very nice find, negritude, and I second the request for pics. :slight_smile:

First burn. Not hall of fame, but good enough that they seem legit.

I’d be tempted to keep those and not touch them :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2056592]I’d be tempted to keep those and not touch them :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I had to make sure that they weren’t faulty in some way, due to being kept in the sun too long, submerged underwater, or something else vile. Trust me, since these will only burn at 2x without overspeeding, I won’t be using the remaining 49 for anything but special situations.

Oh, and here is the cakebox:

[QUOTE=negritude;2056595]Yes, but I had to make sure that they weren’t faulty in some way, due to being kept in the sun too long, submerged underwater, or something else vile. Trust me, since these will only burn at 2x without overspeeding, I won’t be using the remaining 49 for anything but special situations.

Oh, and here is the cakebox:

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s a good point, I’d have done the same.

Hmmm, grey bottom. My Verbie T02s came with a grey bottom, but that was 25 packs.

Hmm they look delicious :iagree:

[QUOTE=negritude;2056467]Oh, and in case my question isn’t clear, I know that’s a TY hub code, I just wasn’t aware that TY was making media for Mitsui back in the 2x days. Did Mitsui ever make it’s own media with it’s own code, or was it always outsourced?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, for example first media with MCI4XG01 MID code. But newer MCIxxxx media and media with MAM4xGxx and MAM8xGxx were made when Mitsui (media manufacturing part) was already owned by CSI Italy and quality went downhill…

[QUOTE=negritude;2056467]Did TY make 4x and 8x disks for Mitsui as well? Note, I’m only talking about the silver-topped disks, not the gold archival stuff.[/QUOTE]
Probably not.

Just to make them easier to identify, I transferred them to a classic TY cakebox, one left over from a 50-pack of TDK TYG02s. :bigsmile:

2x and 4x TY sold by MAM(E/A)/Mitsui are genuine.

MITSUI did make there own media in the begining. They made the famous gold dvd-r.
What’s so special about it, was the allmost colourless dye. This dye allowed the bottom to look gold coloured and not purple (or red) as most dvd-r’s.
This media was made in japan had the MID CODE: MCI G01 (if I recall correctly)
Mitsui/MAM were never able to get a colourless dye working for higher speeds.
MCI G01 media proofed to be quite good based on the test results in the old days. It was also quite expensive.

I found the thread where people tore Mitsui a new one:

MAM-E Mitsui DVD+R - Has anyone tested them yet?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/mam-e-mitsui-dvd-r-has-anyone-tested-them-yet-93862/

[QUOTE=negritude;2057189]I found the thread where people tore Mitsui a new one:

MAM-E Mitsui DVD+R - Has anyone tested them yet?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/mam-e-mitsui-dvd-r-has-anyone-tested-them-yet-93862/[/QUOTE]

YUDEN000T02 from MAM-A are not that good and should be no longer made.

The 4x disc’s made by digital disc dessau and optodisc were ok.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2057182]MITSUI did make there own media in the begining. They made the famous gold dvd-r.
What’s so special about it, was the allmost colourless dye. This dye allowed the bottom to look gold coloured and not purple (or red) as most dvd-r’s.
MCI G01 media proofed to be quite good based on the test results in the old days. It was also quite expensive.[/QUOTE]Was it phthalocyanine? :eek:

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2057182]2x and 4x TY sold by MAM(E/A)/Mitsui are genuine.

MITSUI did make there own media in the begining. They made the famous gold dvd-r.
MCI G01 media proofed to be quite good based on the test results in the old days. It was also quite expensive.[/QUOTE]
Were those MCI G01 made also in Mitsui’s factories in France & USA? What dye was used for 4-16x MAM-A and MAM-E’s media and who made stampers for them? Do you know what happend to both MAM-x factories? I have heard that MBI was going to buy their machinery, but after more than 2 years still nothing happened…