Are these CMC or Prodisc Verbatims DVD+Rs?

vbimport

Picked these up at Office Max today ($15). Based on the old font test I’m guessing Prodisc (also no square above the triangle). However, it has been years since I’ve purchased Verbatims that I’m not sure if these old tests still hold. I haven’t opened them and I am considering taking them back if these are of inferior quality.

The old CMC/Prodisc disctinction no longer holds true now that Prodisc is no longer manufacturing media. As a result, as of late this year all Verbatim-branded DVD media sold in the US labeled “Made in Taiwan” are CMC-made. Next year, however, Mitsubishi (the parent of Verbatim) may send some of its stampers to Ritek (which has recently begun to replace Prodisc as the secondary manufacturer for MCC-coded Verbatim disks), which has its own cakebox style.

If your particular package happens to contain Prodisc-made disks (as identified by the inner hub code stamped on the clear hub), then it’s certainly from already existing stock.

On the other hand, if you got those disks from Office Max, that particular package will likely contain PAP6 series CMC-made disks, not Prodisc-made ones. (That’s exactly what I got when I bought Verbatim DVD+R’s in that exact same package style.)

I agree RJL65 :iagree:
CMC Made PAP6

Those are CMC. The lip height gives it away. On the 100-pack, the lip would be almost flat if they were Prodisc.

And the +R 100-pack can contain PAPA or PAP6. I have a Neo-Verbatim DVD+R 100-pack spindle sitting right in front of me that is all PAPA.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2184863]The old CMC/Prodisc disctinction no longer holds true now that [B][I]Prodisc is no longer manufacturing media[/I][/B]. As a result, as of late this year all Verbatim-branded DVD media sold in the US labeled “Made in Taiwan” are CMC-made. Next year, however, Mitsubishi (the parent of Verbatim) may send some of its stampers to Ritek (which has recently begun to replace Prodisc as the secondary manufacturer for MCC-coded Verbatim disks), which has its own cakebox style.

If your particular package happens to contain Prodisc-made disks (as identified by the inner hub code stamped on the clear hub), then it’s certainly from already existing stock.

On the other hand, if you got those disks from Office Max, that particular package will likely contain PAP6 series CMC-made disks, not Prodisc-made ones. (That’s exactly what I got when I bought Verbatim DVD+R’s in that exact same package style.)[/QUOTE]

O/T

Sorry guys, but does Prodics just not manufacture and DVD media at all anymore?

O/T

I also agree that that pack is CMC - as stated the cake tub gives it away as CMC made so I would keep the pack :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kevatcrewe;2185001]O/T

Sorry guys, but does Prodics just not manufacture and DVD media at all anymore?

O/T
/QUOTE]

AFAIK they are still producing DVDR media even thought they are on the edge of bankruptcy for more than a year.

I picked up one of those at Office Max as well. But mine has a shorter lip, same font style on top as this one (but the triangle is facing the opposite direction). Also MIT, but RM# 171247, and the numbers above the barcode are 0705-232 (if it means anything). It also says © 1997, otherwise it looks exactly the same. Are these ProDisc? If they are as good as the old-style Verbatim-branded ProDisk, then I actually wouldn’t mind, my Pioneer burns them very nicely.

They did have 2 spindles with taller lip on the shelf, but both were damaged at the bottom, seems like they were dropped. Actually this was all they had, a store clerk found this one stashed away somewhere, he said this was the last one.

I bought the exact the same one @ Office Max today using the $10 coupon and I guess it is CMC PAPA/PAP6. I’m a newbie and not sure if CMC is good enough for archiving… Should I return it and buy TY at Rima instead??

@GxyExpress
CMC made Verbatim is generally very good quality. No need to return them.

OK - I will keep them then. Thanks!

[QUOTE=pepst;2185004][QUOTE=Kevatcrewe;2185001]O/T

Sorry guys, but does Prodisc just not manufacture and DVD media at all anymore?

O/T
[/QUOTE]

AFAIK they are still producing DVDR media even thought they are on the edge of bankruptcy for more than a year.[/QUOTE]

Right, but because of their financial situation, the quality of their production has dropped significantly, and consequently, many manufacturers have severed their ties with them.

So, Prodisc still makes DVD media, but nobody wants it.

[QUOTE=GKnight;2185453]I picked up one of those at Office Max as well. But mine has a shorter lip, same font style on top as this one (but the triangle is facing the opposite direction). Also MIT, but RM# 171247, and the numbers above the barcode are 0705-232 (if it means anything). It also says © 1997, otherwise it looks exactly the same. Are these ProDisc? If they are as good as the old-style Verbatim-branded ProDisk, then I actually wouldn’t mind, my Pioneer burns them very nicely.[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, they are Prodisc.

2. No, they are not even remotely as good as the old-style Prodisc you remember.

[QUOTE=negritude;2185565]Right, but because of their financial situation, the quality of their production has dropped significantly, and consequently, many manufacturers have severed their ties with them.

So, Prodisc still makes DVD media, but nobody wants it.[/QUOTE]

This is evidence that Maxell, which had been using Prodisc for some of its recent DVD-R media, has only now begun using CMC for most of its DVD-R media.

[QUOTE=negritude;2185566]1. Yes, they are Prodisc.

1. No, they are not even remotely as good as the old-style Prodisc you remember.[/QUOTE]

And even the lip depth is no longer a reliable indicator of whether CMC or Prodisc made those Verbatims. When the neo-Verbatims first appeared at my local Office Max a year ago, I picked up two 50-pack spindles of DVD+R and one 50-pack spindle of DVD-R. The DVD+R cakeboxes had the deep lip on the edge with TNR font (they contained CMC-made PAPA discs). The DVD-R cakebox had a shallow lip on the edge with bold Sans-Serif font (which should have indicated Prodisc-made Verbatims in the package) - but surprisingly, that cakebox contained CMC-made MAP6 discs.

[QUOTE=negritude;2185566]1. Yes, they are Prodisc.

1. No, they are not even remotely as good as the old-style Prodisc you remember.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Crap! Seems like I got myself a nice 100-pack of coasters. Maybe I should wait a few days and try to swap them for the one with the tall lip - assuming they will actually receive more of them.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2185570]And even the lip depth is no longer a reliable indicator of whether CMC or Prodisc made those Verbatims. When the neo-Verbatims first appeared at my local Office Max a year ago, I picked up two 50-pack spindles…[/QUOTE]

The lip height as a reliable indicator only applies to the Neo-Verb 100-pack.

[QUOTE=negritude;2185565]Right, but because of their financial situation, the quality of their production has dropped significantly, and consequently, many manufacturers have severed their ties with them.

So, Prodisc still makes DVD media, but nobody wants it.[/QUOTE]

But nobody wants it is not true.

Prodisc made a mayor mistake in not paying royalties to Philips, which has cause a situation that it has become very hard to get prodisc in for the E.U. and Northern America. And even if you get the media in you can still be in trouble incase you sell it, which is why some parties do not want it.
You don’t want your media to be confiscated at the border and you don’t want to be involved legally. :eek:

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2186429]But nobody wants it is not true.

Prodisc made a mayor mistake in not paying royalties to Philips, which has cause a situation that it has become very hard to get prodisc in for the E.U. and Northern America.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but wasn’t the licensing issue just for CDs? That still doesn’t explain DVDs. The quality of their DVD production took a nosedive, including the media they were producing for Verbatim. We’re talking really crappy here, not just some minute variability.