Are there special DVD CD labels?

I realized that labels on DVDs are not good, however I just wanted to know if there are any special DVD labels that dont mess up the disk??

There are no labels that should be used on any discs. Labels adversly effect both the reflectivity and balance of a disc.

Sorry Rd, but balance and reflectivity are not the real problems. Heat is the cause. Overall label + glue = heat problems.
The balancing theory is a real joke, IMO

Although I do not recommend to use label (you can print on IJP disk, much better result), I think there is a brand that sell very very thin labels. These are the only one that will work without problem. I do not know which one.

Balance is not a joke. It is physics: with a label changes the weight and it has an effect on the spinning of the disc.

How come you could have labels for music cd’s then?

Audio CD’s spin at 1x, so balance is not an issue given that the “groove” is wider.

CD’s and DVD’s are completely different worlds, no comparisons can be made. The data on a DVD is over 6x more dense. Even a slight variation in the tracking of the “groove” on a DVD is critical. Many people have reported that even at 1x, (movie playing), DVD’s will not read after a label is applied. This seems to be fairly specific to particular media types, especially cheap media. But the bottom line is that you should not apply any labels to DVD’s. Whether it’s due to reflectivity or balance is a moot point, but I strongly suspect it is both (and also related to how well made the disc is to start with). The reading drive is also a major factor. Inkjet or thermal printing on a DVD has not been reported to cause any problems, but not many people are doing it.

I’ve read all the warnings about labels messing up DVD playback. I’ve ignored them and labeled all my disks anyway. (I know a sharpie is safer, but labeled disks look so much better I decided it was worth the risk.) I’ve labeled over 200 DVDs and have never had a problem playing back a single one of them. :slight_smile:

Of course this is my experience only. All of my disks have been for my own personal use. They play fine on my DVD players, a Phillips, a JVC, and a Sony, and on my PlayStation 2. I do not know or care about compatibility with any other players.

I’ve tried a bunch of different lables and my favorites are the glossy ones from Meritline. I think they’re $19 for 100 labels. Good luck.

Goddamnit Mawdryn, my situation I have to make 150 dvd’s for this independent filmmaker who made a skateboard video that is 2900 megs using a little more than 50% of the disk, now forgetting to research this, I convinced him to let me use labels. I do have an epson r300 that prints inkjet dvd’s great, but i didnt feel like doing it on their, its cumbersome and is one at a time.

I mention the size and length of the movie, because in another forum people were complaining about the end of the film

I also have a friend who sells dvds to lots of people and labels them, I need to ask him if he got any returns.

FYI> I got these labels, CD Stomper Matte 20$ for 300 ! cheaper than generic, at Sam’s Club

OK, so I’ve created hundreds of DVDs for independant film release, and from the beginning, I’ve tried to make them look neat and professional, so I’ve used the standard Memorex CD/DVD labels you can find at somewhere like Staples or BestBuy.

As near as I can estimate, per customer feedback/complaints, about 95% play without a problem. Of the rest, some of the issues are probably related to the customer using an incompatable DVD player (I burn stricly -R), and some to bad media/burns (Verbatim -R disks turned into real pigs last year, avoid 'em!). The rest I would have to agree are from the labels. Just had a customer that ordered 25 different titles let me how, while most played fine, several were “warped up at the edges” and wouldn’t play, but that once he removed the labels, they “de-flexed” and played fine.

I’d heard something like this on another website. Apparently, there’s something in the way a CD/DVD label binds to the disk that results in something I heard called “surface tension”, the result of which is to slightly bend a disk. It’s reversable with the removal of the label (although that’s not always easy).

So, I guess the answer is that YES, in some circumstances, using a CD/DVD label will affect the playability of a disk, however you may get away with using them, depending on the DVD player that will read the disk.

Hey, if they are for stuff you are selling then go ahead with the labels, then you will get more sold due to the duff, or dead disks :rolleyes:

My dad was always putting them on his music CD’s until one flew apart in the drive, you could also see (and hear) where the disk[s] moved around so much in the draw it had scuff marks on the drive tray.

This was more a problem at the edge (as the last poster said “warped up at the edges”) because of the flex, so the lower size could be of some help, as for the Verbatim -R I thought all players could do them (-R) because it was first around then they added support for +R.

Also have yet to a problem with a real Verbatim disk, that was not the fault of something else, but then a duff DVD writer or firmware could be more the problem.