Are there anymore DVD writers that can overburn?

vbimport

I currently have a Plextor PX760A, BenQ 1655 and a Samsung SH-S202N.

Of the three burners only the plextor and benq can overburn and I feel like those drives days are numbered. The newer drives like my Samsung do not feature overburning therefore it can’t read overburned discs.

Are there any DVD writers out there that can overburn these days?

[QUOTE=gOdisOnyOuRsIDe;2456653]Are there any DVD writers out there that can overburn these days?[/QUOTE]

No, new drives can’t overburn, if you want a drive that can overburn you will have to get the old benq and plextor from ebay.

[QUOTE=vroom;2456660]No, new drives can’t overburn, if you want a drive that can overburn you will have to get the old benq and plextor from ebay.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, that means the new drives will not be able to retrieve data from my overburned discs.

[QUOTE=gOdisOnyOuRsIDe;2456979]That sucks, that means the new drives will not be able to retrieve data from my overburned discs.[/QUOTE]

Says who??

[QUOTE=gOdisOnyOuRsIDe;2456979]That sucks, that means the new drives will not be able to retrieve data from my overburned discs.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Newer drives may be able to read overburned discs OK, they just don’t have the capability of overburning discs themselves. Two different things.

I tried searching everything regarding “overburn” and haven’t found any relevant information on new drives reading overburned discs.

I’m sure my S202N can’t.

[QUOTE=gOdisOnyOuRsIDe;2457179]I tried searching everything regarding “overburn” and haven’t found any relevant information on new drives reading overburned discs.[/QUOTE]I haven’t seen any recent tests where reading of overburned DVD media is included. You cannot conclude from this that recent drives cannot read overburned DVD media - most of them probably can.

I’m sure my S202N can’t.
Are you assuming or did you actually try?

Personally I have only made overburned DVDs for the fun of testing it - I don’t trust such DVDs to keep my data. Most of the time I “underburn” instead and add DVDisaster ECC information if possible and practical.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2457196]I haven’t seen any recent tests where reading of overburned DVD media is included. You cannot conclude from this that recent drives cannot read overburned DVD media - most of them probably can.

Are you assuming or did you actually try?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have actually tried reading overburned discs with my S202N and it cannot read the last percent on the disc. I agree that I should not jump to conclusions until I have actually tried reading overburned discs with the newer drives.

I wanted to save time to see if anyone has experience reading overburned discs with newer drives.

Try to reduce the reading speed for the 202 and try again. :wink: