Are there any SATA external optical drives?

vbimport

From my googling and searching this forum it doesn’t appear that there are any external SATA optical drives. Is that correct?

I had read about making an external SATA port from internal SATA cables - and I’m going to need a new ext optical drive long before I need another ext HD. Oops, hope I didn’t just jinx myself.

Is there a technical reason or too few potential customers at this point? I did find internal SATA optical drives googling.

Hi,

for an external Sata drive, external Sata ports (eSata) are needed. Such connectors aren’t very widespread, so the few remaining ODD manufacturers prefer selling their external drives with the more common USB connection. And even external firewire drives are extinct.

The good news is, that there are some manufacturers who offer enclosures with eSata interface. Install your favourite Sata internal drives, and you are set.

Michael

Thanks mciahel
I came across the enclosures while googling for external SATA drives and mean to research them further. I was thinking of replacing my internal optical EIDE/ATAPI drives - maybe w/ SATAs - and maybe put the the old drives in enclosures. Altho the couple of sites I clicked to only had enclosures for laptop-sized drives.

I didn’t realize ODD manufacturers and firewire ext ODDs were becoming extinct - I guess because of Blue Ray. I seem to be the only home pc user in America still trying to back up data files to dvd - everyone else is burning videos. There were still some firewire drives available on my recent ext. ODD price search- guess I’d better grab one if they aren’t all gone. I only have 1 computer w/ SATA but my desktop, laptop & tablet all have 1394.

Hi,[QUOTE=AnnieMS;2490612]
I came across the enclosures while googling for external SATA drives and mean to research them further.(…) Altho the couple of sites I clicked to only had enclosures for laptop-sized drives. [/quote]But they exist :slight_smile:

I didn’t realize ODD manufacturers and firewire ext ODDs were becoming extinct - I guess because of Blue Ray.
No. The reason is simply profit.
An IDE to USB+Firewire converter is more expensive than an IDE to USB (only). Additionally, since Apple computers also come with USB 2.0 Hi Speed, there was no reason for the drive manufacturers to continue with the more expensive hardware.

But here, the same applies as with eSata: enclosures are still available.

And there are even enclosures with USB+eSata+Firewire, like this one (available in the US): http://www.directron.com/me535limited.html

You may also check here:
http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/pro_list/66

Michael