Are there any other ways to increase read speed of 708A?

Hi,
I couldn’t get my 708A to read DVD-Video’s any faster than 2X, even with the holding-eject-button trick (I followed the instruction carefully but didn’t work). The speed can’t be changed using Plextools either.

So are there any other ways to speed it up? It took me almost 40 mins to make a DVD image, which usually takes only 15 mins on normal speed (6-8X). Since my comp can’t fit two drives I can’t put a DVD-ROM in. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

That’s weird because as I posted above, if you hold eject for 3 seconds and you see the DVD drive blink 3x then release, the door opens and you insert a disc.

You may need to mak sure the drive is empty before pressing/holding eject.

I ripped a movie a 4.3 times.

Check IDE settings. You are probably running in PIO mode.

I tried the trick a million times, holding the eject button, wait for the green blink 3 times then the tray auto ejects, then I load the DVD. Still read at 2X.

This only occurs for DVD9 discs though, all other discs are ok.

Also, I had DMA on.

It’s really weird :confused:

Well, actually the holding eject button trick does work. I tried with Nero Speed today and the max speed it could reach was ~7.5X. However, when trying to make an image with Alcohol 120, the speed still stays at 2X. So I think it’s the Alcohol problem, not Plextor. Anyone got idea how to fix the speed in Alcohol?

Cheers

Maybe this will help, maybe not.

Try ripping / downloading DVD video content with DVD Decryptor instead.

Well, actually the holding eject button trick does work. I tried with Nero Speed today and the max speed it could reach was ~7.5X. However, when trying to make an image with Alcohol 120, the speed still stays at 2X. So I think it’s the Alcohol problem, not Plextor. Anyone got idea how to fix the speed in Alcohol?

I experienced the same problems when using DVD X-Copy

I’m starting to notice certain ripping / compressing applications refuse to go past 2x even with the eject button trick. Therefore, stick with what works, and free, DVD Decryptor. Or, check out AnyDVD so you wont have to put the DVD on the HDD… it’s a pretty cool app.

Yes indeed, I’m also using DVD Decrypter and it works great. Gotta love those excellent freeware software utilities!