Are the verbatim 40x cdrw reliable?

Any recommendation?

All Verbatim are Lite-on and slickdeals.com have coupon at stample for 50 buck after rebate… So, not a bad deal.

I have used them in the past without any kind of issues, so I would recommend them.

i bought mine 2 days, ago flashed it so now its a 48X and burned a spindle already no coasters what so ever this burner rocks! got it at staples

check out these burn speeds :wink:

I picked up a 10 pack of the Verbatim 40x super azo from Microcenter tonight. I burned a single disc in Nero using smartburn. It burned at 40x but scandisc began reporting damaged sectors about 3/4 the way through and the total ended up being 30% damaged.

I have had the best luck with the Fuji (the yudens) 32x media. I can burn at 40 with no damaged sectors at all.

I think he ment 40X CD-RW drive, which is a Lite-On and just as good as other Lite-On’s :wink:

I can’t seem to flash my 40x verbatim into a 48x in windows. Any help is appreciated. I use it as a external cdrw.

Windows? nope (unles you use modified exe files which is illegal)
Extrenal? Nope

You have to do it in DOS with mtkflash and the drive connected to the main IDE controller…

Or be happe with 40X as that is already very fast :slight_smile:

Originally posted by CHAOSMAN
[B]i bought mine 2 days, ago flashed it so now its a 48X and burned a spindle already no coasters what so ever this burner rocks! got it at staples

check out these burn speeds :wink:

[/B]

What files did you use to flash your Verbatim? Mine won’t take the Lite-on factory firmware. Sorry but I’m a noob to this product.

in terms of flashing i had trouble at first also (this is what I did):

go here first: http://home.online.no/~magdyr/Firmware/

this is what you need to download from there,

1. Mtkflash148.zip
  2. Lite-On -> LTR-40125S/ -> bin -> ZS08.rar

then go to this forum and follow the links to get teh VS01 and VS02 bin files:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=46934

After you have all the files you need to make a boot disk, just copy the system files over on it. This is the part where it becomes a pain becasue you can only fit one bin file on the floppy so your gonna have to keep restarting your PC unless you have a fat32 system. Now since you have the boot disk, copy over mtkflash.exe (in Mtkflash148.zip) on to the floppy as well as teh first bin file, ZS08.bin (in ZS08.rar).

once you reboot using the bootdisk, this is the command you will use to flash your burner.

do this if burner is on primary master:
mtkflash 1 W /B XXX.bin where XXX is the name of the bin file (i.e., ZS08.BIN, VS01.BIN, and VS02.BIN)

do this if burner is on primary slave:
mtkflash 2 W /B XXX.bin where XXX is the name of the bin file (i.e., ZS08.BIN, VS01.BIN, and VS02.BIN)

do this if burner is on secondary master (most common):
mtkflash 3 W /B XXX.bin where XXX is the name of the bin file (i.e., ZS08.BIN, VS01.BIN, and VS02.BIN)

do this if burner is on secondary slave:
mtkflash 4 W /B XXX.bin where XXX is the name of the bin file (i.e., ZS08.BIN, VS01.BIN, and VS02.BIN)

flash in this order remembering you need to reboot after each flash and copy each bin over to floppy after each reboot:

ZS08.BIN
VS01.BIN
VS02.BIN

After this your are set to go. Windows will see your burner as LITE-ON LTR-48125W SCSI CD-ROM DEVICE
You can even go to Lite-on’s website (http://www.liteonit.com.tw) and get their latest firmware for the 48X writer (there’s only one) VS06.BIN

Now some people may of had luck with just flashing with the VS01.BIN or VS02.BIN from the get go, but I did not so I went in the order above and mine works flawlessly with CDRWIN 3.9A and NERO 5.5.9.0 (latest versions). And according to Nero Speed Test, my burner averages 31.25X (Pretty damn fast) and it takes me 2:59 to burn a 700MB cd.

Good Luck, if you need more help search some topics on the board

@kodack

Well, believe it or not, that’s exactly what I wanted to know, since I was about to buy them yesterday

I flashed my verbatim 40x12x48x directly with VS06 for lite-on 48125W. It worked fine.

However, since then I’ve been seeing posts asking people to stay with VS02 instead.

What’s the advantage of VS02 over VS06? Thanks.

What’s the advantage of VS02 over VS06? Thanks

None, here, VS06 works better in both my drives, and also has some faster SmartBurn speeds for some media.

Originally posted by CHAOSMAN
[B]in terms of flashing i had trouble at first also (this is what I did):

ZS08.BIN
VS01.BIN
VS02.BIN

[/B]

Does anyone have these files or know how to download these files? Please let me know. Thanks a lot!!!

If you have these files, Please email at chi.34@osu.edu:bigsmile:

Does anyone have these files or know how to download these files? Please let me know. Thanks a lot!!!

http://home.bip.net/mikaj/40125w/

I grabbed all the files from the link. I did not see one for ZS08.bin which seems to be the key one. (I’m sending you a private message that.)

Question - is this sequence becaue Verbatim locked their drives so they could not be flashed to the newer Lite-On firmware so you need to flash it to old Lite-On firmware and then flash it to more current Lite-On firmware?

I did not see one for ZS08.bin which seems to be the key one

There’s no such thing as ZS08, just flash to VS02 and/or VS06 and see how it goes.

my buslink/liteon flashed from vs02 to vs06 in windows:bigsmile: of course it was a 48x to start with:bow: lovely burner…with ty media at 32x=no errors per scandisk and nero’s quality check, this be good enough for me :stuck_out_tongue: