Are the disc-types for a burner final?

Hi, I’m definitely a newbie when it comes to burning DVDs. I just bought a Toshiba with a Matshita UJ-841s Super Multi drive in it. What I want to do is burn dvds with the book type set to DVD-ROM so it will play in my X-Box, but tha option isn’t available to me. Is it possible to change this by changing drivers, firmware, etc.? This thing is pretty much useless to me if I can’t watch what I’m burning. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Matshita UJ-841s

welcome to cdfreaks. I would return the drive and get something better like a lity or benq. Otherwise you’ll getnothing but problems.

Not much info here-What kind of burning program? What kind of disk?

it seems your drive may not allow you to perform bitsetting.
Toshiba uses to be quite rigid about users changing things in their laptops, so even if you could find a firmware that would allow changing the disc’s book type it would probably not be from them and that would cancel the guaranty for the all computer, not just the drive.
During the guaranty you can’t change it either, I know of someone that lost the guaranty just because he installed windows 2000.
Doesn’t your box accept DVD-R instead?

Yeah, I had the same concerns about changing the system. The disc I burned to was a DVD+R DL disc, so maybe that’s part of the problem. I’ll try burning to a DVD-R and see if that works.