Are Taiyo Yuden's good? Why?

i just got hold of some Taiyo Yuden OEM CDRs. The guy i bought them from says they are from japan, but how do i check for sure?

These cdrs are plain silver faced with a blue tint on the back. nero InfoTool reports them as TaiyoYuden 79:59.73.

Is anyone familiar with these?

Those are the older 24x/32x TY discs. Should burn well up to 40x in many drives, and 32x in others. Very reliable and stable over time.

how can i tell where they are made?

BTW are they worth getting? im paying AUS$45 for 100. omg. 32x. wait a pain in the ass when i have 52X burner.

in my Asus CRW5224A they are detected as being 32X, but on my LTR52327S they are detected as 40X

Originally posted by nismohks

how can i tell where they are made?
Taiyo Yuden are made in Japan.

Here are the utilities for defining the ATIP :

[COLOR=blue]SmartBurn 3.15

Feurio 1.66 ( CD Writer > Extras > Output ATIP info )

Nero CDSpeed ( Extra > Disc Info ), Nero InfoTool ( Disc tab ) - both can be found here

CDR Identifier 1.63

KProbe ( Disc Info tab )

CD Doctor ( Info tab )

Btw, here are the 2 typical examples of those blank TY
and the SmartBurn will define for you the max speed those can be burnt with :

TY 24x

Drive Type = CD-RW
Disc Type = CDR
Material = Cyanine
Lead In = 97:24:01
Lead Out = 79:59:73
Nominal Capacity = 702.83MB
Manufacturer Maybe = Taiyoyuden,Tuned-X
Smart-Burn Speed Limit = [B]40X/B

TY 40x

Drive Type = CD-RW
Disc Type = CDR
Material = Cyanine
Lead In = 97:24:01
Lead Out = 79:59:72
Nominal Capacity = 702.83MB
Manufacturer Maybe = Taiyoyuden,DX Dye
Smart-Burn Speed Limit = [B]52X/B

So, your case most likely is TY 24x 79:59:73 ( Lead Out )
[/COLOR]

One sure sign of a genuine Taiyo Yuden CD-R is a frosted centre hub ring. The ring that surrounds the hole in the centre of the CD should be “fogged” or “frosted”, however you want to describe it.

The dye layer should also be bluish-green (more of a blue to me). The dye goes from the outer edge of the CD to almost to the centre hub ring, where it finishes with a circle of silver. Within the central area, there should be some sort of serial number imprinted in the dye area.

Hope that helps!

The 52327S drive may well burn them at 40x with no problems, you’ll want to check for read errors at 40x and above.

yer thanx a lot. mine are definitely Taiyo Yudens :smiley: Anyway, i keep hearing about these, are they btter than other brands or what? in what way i thought all CDRs were the same:confused:

TY is the Mercedes of media, superior build quality and quality controll, superior reliability too.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
TY is the Mercedes of media, superior build quality and quality controll, superior reliability too.

But unfortunately TY CD-Rs are getting harder to find :frowning:

So every time I see TY CD-Rs I can’t resist to buy some :wink:

Andy

got about 400 on the shelf here, afraid to use them

I have ca. 250 TY CD-Rs, mainly Verbatim DataLife 32x and TDK
Metallic 48x. And of course I only use them for important data :wink:

Last week I bought my first TY DVD+ media, as Plextor DVD+R :smiley:

Andy

LOL TY is so highly praised :rolleyes: i guess the only bad thing is that i can only burn at max of 40X… arghh…

Why is this? I cannot remember if in a prior post it has been said that TY is pulling out of the cdr market, can anyone confirm this or remind me :slight_smile:

Nismohks, as far as I am concerned, $45 for 100 is cheap. Where are you getting them from? I hope you are in Oz!

Originally posted by WebTech Inc

But unfortunately TY CD-Rs are getting harder to find :frowning:

It’s because of the growing international demand.

Likewise here, I’ve got over 500 and am trying to keep 'em out of reach nowadays. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by icey

Why is this? I cannot remember if in a prior post it has been said that TY is pulling out of the cdr market, can anyone confirm this or remind me :slight_smile:
Of course, not. But it’s getting harder and harder to find those.
So, it just a subconscious thing to preserve them, I guess.

Originally posted by BoSkin

So, it just a subconscious thing to preserve them, I guess.

Yeah…

Now let me see, here is my list of TY discs I have on my shelf:

• 10x Sony CDQ-74CN 1x-8x Branded
  • 60x Sony CDQ-74CNZ Thermal Printable 1x-8x
  • 30x Imation 74min 1x-8x Certified
  • 2x10 Sony CDQ-80NX3COL 1x-32x (slim cases)
  • 2x50 Sony CDQ-80NX3COL 1x-32x (spindles)
  • 4x10 That’s CD-R 1x-24x Gold Label
  • 6x10 That’s CD-R 1x-32x White Printable
  • 50x TDK CD-R80PW 1x-48x White Printable

All these were purchased in Australia over the last few years. I only use these for the most important burns!

Quite a collection, isn’t it?

Well, as the shop will not ship to the UK (why is this???), SVP have unbranded TY 100 disc spindles for about £25 or so.

They top surface is a shiny lacquer but it seems very hard and very protective.

I only use TY these days - forget cheap crap media - a waste of money for your own collection, great if your a trader selling stuff on and you do not care about quality or longevity.

I am a little worried about the Plextor branded TY cdr’s as the mat Plextor branding may scratch off or stick to the plastic wallets I use and I do not know what lurks beneath - at least the unbranded SVP ones seem to resist purposeful scratching.

Be even nicer to get some brushed effect TY cdr’s - SVP, you reading this :slight_smile:

Originally posted by icey

SVP have unbranded TY 100 disc spindles for about £25 or so.

FYI, [COLOR=blue]www.riverproaudio.co.uk sells TY 25% cheaper.[/COLOR]