Are Samsung hard drives good?

Hi, a store near me carry’s Samsung 250GB 7200rpm 8Mb cache ATA hard drives. Can you tell me how good are this hard drives, thanks.

i’d say in general they are excellent

not the fastest range but some stars buy i guy who runs a data recovery
business and hence sees a lot of duff drives rates them

try :-

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

http://www.storagereview.com/

certainly not duff like Maxtor

I agree! My SimpleTech has A Samsung in it, and it is wonderful.

My Samsung SATA 203B is one of the best drives I own.:iagree:

We’ve got a Samsung (250GB SATA) in another PC, and it’s good so far. Very, very quiet. :wink:

They are cool and silent. I mainly use em (have 3 spinpoint 160GB pata hard drives in my xboxes and 2 500 GB spinpoint sata drives in my PC). Wouldn’t want another brand to be honest.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/30-250-hdd-roundup_17.html#sect0

Sorry about this blunder, I thought you were talking about Samsung drives in general. I am bad.:o

I bought two HD252KJ T166 SATA HDDs in June 2007. A few days ago I found out after moving to my new location that one of my HDDs made strange rattle noise and the PC did not boot up. After disconnecting the brocken HDD the PC works fine.

I guess usually Samsung HDDs are really good. My HDDs are very silent, fast, and very cold (important in an Barebone). I have not read some really bad things about Samsung HDDs. I’m still happy with Samsung HDDs, so I bought two HD252KJ as spare parts.

My Buffalo RAID 5 NAS also has Samsung IDE HDDs and this 4 HDDs works almost two years with no problem at all.

I’m aware some people have seen quite a few failures recently with the HD501LJ but that might be isolated to a particular region or seller.

My experience is they are pretty damn good…I’ll repeat what I’ve said over on SPCR. I’ve got over 15 Samsung drives and less than 5 of all other brands put together. In 4 or so years I’ve had 2 issues, both easily RMA-d, neither of which were total failures, unlike 2 Tosh drives I’ve had in the past.

They are prone to more vibration than others but they are IMO far quieter in terms of both idle and seek noise.

They are still my first choice…oh…my second is Seagate based on warranty more than anything else.

They run a little bit hotter than some, but apart from that I have had no problems with mine.

[QUOTE=beef barley;1937562]They run a little bit hotter than some, but apart from that I have had no problems with mine.[/QUOTE]

I’ve owned 4 Samsung HDDs and I would disagree about the temps. They’ve always been 4-6°C cooler than other drives. My current HD501LJ is the quietest HDD I’ve ever owned.

I’ve owned 4 Samsung HDDs and I would disagree about the temps.

That is your right.

My VAIO came with an SP2004C 200 GB P120 series Sammy…it chugs along fine to this day. Cooler than my 320 GB Seagate [ST3320620AS, perpendicular recording], although a bit slower. Quiet spin-up, and after the initial click-clack of the heads at power up, there is just a quiet woosh of air along with the tick-tock of the heads loading Windows.

…I guess you can tell I like my Sammy. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=NaMeK;1934999]Hi, a store near me carry’s Samsung 250GB 7200rpm 8Mb cache ATA hard drives. Can you tell me how good are this hard drives, thanks.[/QUOTE]

The SATA 250GB Samsung drives are fast, quiet and reliable.
Hopefully the ATA ones are just as good.

The ATA133 could be better, see link to test I posted above. I’m running the SP2504C atm and it feels a little faster than the Seagate 7200.9 that I used until a couple weeks ago (and cloned onto the Samsung). It’s a bit louder on seek than I’m used to from Samsung (even with AAM on), but still much quieter than the Seagate.

[QUOTE=ajemm;1937644]I’ve owned 4 Samsung HDDs and I would disagree about the temps. They’ve always been 4-6°C cooler than other drives. My current HD501LJ is the quietest HDD I’ve ever owned.[/QUOTE]

Samsungs are cool and quiet, but don’t be fooled by the temperature they report. I have one here that reports a temperature that is at least 10 degrees fahrenheit too low. When I first turn on my computer, it reports a temperature that is about 10 degrees less than the room temperature. Now thats what I call a cool drive. :slight_smile:

Samsung T166 500GB is the coolest in this test:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3031&p=5