Are Plextors Overpriced?

vbimport

Hey all,

As i rattle around the other forums I find that most people feel plextors are overpriced for what you get? What are your opinions for all the extras plextools brings and the sheer quality I say they’re priced about right.

Regards,
Jack

P.S Yes i know this going to be slightly biased but non-plextor owners have never felt the quality of a plextor have they :stuck_out_tongue:

If I look at Plextools, the only ‘unique’ feature is DAE which even outperforms EAC on some occasions. The Q-Check feature is available as freeware (with K-Probe and Nero CD/DVD Speed, not to forget PXView) for lots of other drives.

Fromt that point (and judging by the quality issues with Plextor DVDRW drives) I consider Plextor DVDRW drives overpriced … additionally, they don’t even offer DVD-RAM.

Since I am a DAE fanatic, I’m willing to pay for good DAE capabilities, though … and I still must encounter the day that I regret having bought my Premium … :bow:

I will comment based on 16x burner PX-716a and BenQ 1620 retail which I currently own. Cheapest 716a price was newegg $129 - $30 rebate = $99. BenQ 1620 retail = $75.

Other 16x burners with cheaper price can outperform Plextor 716a. In term of current performance, I will say 716a is overpriced.

However, I think Plextor put a lot of effort.

• Plextools is a great software. Without Plextools, plextor dvd burners can’t do PI/PO testing. Nero CD Speed won’t run in plextor drives at the moment.
  • The manuals, two of them, in English (127 pages) and in French (143 pages), are a plus. Remember, 100+ pages is not nothing! Compare with BenQ 1620 retail, the manual is only a piece of large paper folded few times.

I can see Plextor is working to fix the problems, as they did in 712a and become one of the best and fastest 12x burner IMO. If Plextor PX-716a performance is as good as other 16x burners in the market, with plextools software, manuals and other things in the box (black bezel etc), I would say paying $20-30 more it’s reasonable.

I think that Plextor DVDRW drives are over priced.
Plextor CDRW drives were (and maybe still) highly priced compared to liteon,asus,lg,etc. but as i used different brands of CDRW drives i think that plextor CDRW drives are much better, high build quality,tough,high burn quality.just my opinion!

In my opinion you need PlexTools if you have a Plextor drive. PlexTools does so much more than just Q-Check and DAE. You can use it to record discs with, play discs with, rip discs with but it also allows complete control over your Plextor drive. Some things that come to mind: Media Info, Testing (read/write speeds, etc.), DMA, Single-Session, Hide CD-R Media, SpeedRead (tray speed, read speed, access times), GigaRec, VariRec, SecuRec, AutoStrategy (PX-716A), Drive Information… there’s too much to mention!

PlexTools is a must have in my opinion since Plextor recorders support a lot of functionalities. So, in my opinion Plextor drives are priced about right.

In my opinion, Plextors are overpriced. They are still riding on their past glory. The BenQ drive that I bought for only $69 outperforms all of my Plextor drives by a wide margin. The Plextor tools used to be unique, but now, there are other ways to get the same information (Nero DriveSpeed, BenQ’s QScan, etc).

i cannot talk about plextor in general, but everytime i insert a SecuROM newer_than_new protected cd in my plextor premium to copy it without any problem.
also Safedisc makes no troubles to me, if using the right media :wink:

i feel the price i paid was more than reasonable! :slight_smile:
i love my PREMIUM!

as i said, i cannot judge about the prices / quality of other plextor devices, but the PREMIUM is IMHO one of the best CD-burners availalble out there… :wink:

IMHO plextools are funny, but not THAT important - i installed them when having bought my premium, 1 day later they were uninstalled… :wink:
i don’t need the ability to change the speed my drive opens the tray just to make it more silence… :wink: and for the other things I do (i’m talking about ME, not anyone else) i use 3rd party tools such as BW, ALC, NERO CD/DVD SPEED, EAC …

so, at least I can live without the plextools…

[A LITTLE BIT OFFTOPIC]
question: i cannot remember any more, but could anyone please be so kind and tell me what it was for to press the eject button of the premium for 4 seconds, so that the drive-LED blinks 3 times and then opens the tray…???
i remind that it changed something in the reading-strategy of the drive just for the NEXT read (not permanently) but i cannot find out WHAT it changes… :wink: ?? THX
[/Offtopic]

Raz

One more thing, “average user” who walks in a store (ie bestbuy) and see Plextor 716a (currently there’s no more 712a and 708a) price of $149 compare to Sony DRU710 also for $149, may think that higher price means better quality, especially with the sweet words of Intelligent Recording Technology, AutoStrategy, Intelligent Tilt, PowerRec etc.

I will say that “average user” who never visit cdfreaks or other forum, does not know what PIE/PIF/POF means, never scan their disks, does not know that currently 716a cannot reach 16x with default PowerRec setting (ON), does not know what firmware is (hence never update the firmware, for example two of my neighbours), they will install the drive, burns and playback fine in their player and no complaints. :smiley:

It is just about marketing… and it seems that Plextor is targeting the right people. I’ve checked all bestbuy stores within 200 miles are currently out of stock for 716a but still have plenty 16x Sony and Pioneer.

Well I have a plextor (CD Writer) for 2 years now. I did 0 (zero) :bow: coasters until today, and the burns are very good. I’m aware of plextor brand for 4 years now.
The first cd writer i bought has an HP (sutpid of me). Netheless to say that it gave me problems right until the day i bought the plextor. I still have it /the HP) and my brother still uses it but it’s just to burn 1 cd time to time… With my plextor, i’ve dome more burns that i can remember and the dam machine still works. I even prayed and hoped it would breack so i could get the premium, but no! It’s still there, burning and burning and not a single coaster… Sometimes i just wanted (we’re never happy are we? :bigsmile: ) the drives weren’t so reliable :D:D:D
Ohh one last thing, when i bought the drive it cost me twice more than a “normal” burner… I’m not regreted until today but i do think that their products are a little overpriced, specially if they’re not doing what they’re supose to do (716A)…

Not overpriced considering PC Connection has the PX-716A for $69.95 after both a $50 and a $30 rebate.

Wow, you’re right.
Linky:http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5422309

Pioneer 10x/40x DVD-ROM
Philips 4X/4X/24X CD-R/RW Rev. 1
Plextor PX-708UF TLA0002
Samsung SD-816BRPS DVD-ROM
Plextor Premium
Plextor PX-716A TLA0101

Pioneer died after 4 years, Philips is useless. Samsung is quiet and dependable.

Love my Plextors - a little overpriced, but not a whole lot IMHO.

edit: besides, owning plextors let’s me participate in this particular forum :bow:

You can record discs with freeware like BurnAtOnce or any bundled Nero version … playback … well, there are so many solutions …

Media info can be gathered with DVD Info Pro or DVD Identifier … drive info can be obtained by Nero Info Tool … I’m not stating that PTP is useless (not at all), but it is not worth the street price difference for the “Joe Average” user IMO

Unfortunately PC Connection hasn’t the PX-716A on stock and they can’t promise to send it before 31-DEC-2004. So the 80$ rebate can be problematic.
Roman.

Just check their web, and they said in stock, will ship tomorrow.

Well, although a plextor fun I can also admit that plextor’s are overpriced. BUT
IS THERE ANY OTHER COMPANY THAT GIVES 2-YEAR WARRANTY ON SITE ? (at least to Europe).

PS. I bought the same time my premium and the px708a. I can asssure you guys that premuim rocks!

I called and they said : Sorry, not in stock. But they will check possibility for 80$ rebate anyway, in case I’ll order today. Probably I’ll receive the newest TLA ? :slight_smile:
Roman.

In my opinion the Plextor drives are priced accordingly. I don’t feel they are overpriced. The one thing I’ve noticed is when I burn dvds with my 708A drive the buffer level in NERO burn is steady at 92 but when burning with my Pioneer 107, Liteon 811 & Benq 1620’s the buffer level is all over the place going up and down. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with the drive mechanically.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

We can disagree on a couple of things , but I definitely agree on this one . Of course You can put freeware together (work …) that has these features , but I would like to see them all in one bundle and I cannot help but believe they’re even more usefull and aimed at my drive when the software comes from the drivemanufacturer self !
This may explain why JeanLuc gets better results with EAC (one of my favouritprograms too !) - and remember , we have yet to see the potential of 716 ; maybe they could unlock the supported “fixed” media codes so AutoStrategy could do wonders …

Plextors are definitely overpriced.