Are No CD Patches OK to use?

If so where is the best place to get for my versions of the games
Thanks Mike

I don’t think so because you’re altering the game, but who’s going to know if you use them :slight_smile:

No-cd patches constitute reverse engineering and are always illegal. :cop:

the moderator is correct in that they are illegal but i always use them because i hate to have to find the cd just to play one of my games. farmeunit sure seems to be familiar with them too. :wink:

I’m the same as netman. It is much speedier to click on a desktop icon and “whack!”, you’re already playing the game.

No-cd patches constitute reverse engineering and are always illegal
I know the NoCD patch topic has been talked about here before, and straight away it is stomped upon by the Moderators. Fair enough, as they don’t want to condone anything illegal. But if you are only “using” a NoCD patch and you are not the individual doing the “reverse engineering”, surely that should be OK???
Or is it strictly ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL! Regardless. No buts about it? :cop:

Call me thick, call me what you like, but I still can’t see the harm if you own the original disc. :a

Are No CD Patches OK to use ??

Just don’t use them in public places :wink:

Some folks would say that backing up your cds were illegal. Not me, but there are people that would think this way. I’ve used them in the past and yes it was of games I owned. I love to buy games. Sometimes I buy them just to shop. (This is a ladies perogative)

the next best thing is to use cd emulators like Daemon Tools but then u’d need to have a might big hard drive to story all the images :stuck_out_tongue:
But thinking the legal way is always the best :slight_smile:

Originally posted by CJS
But if you are only “using” a NoCD patch and you are not the individual doing the “reverse engineering”, surely that should be OK???
Or is it strictly ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL! Regardless. No buts about it? :cop:

This has been discussed several times already, not only here, but in our living room forum as well.

I don’t want to start the whole discussion over and over again, so I am going to say my piece and then close this one.

Even if you are not the one who made the no-cd patch, using it still modifies the software and is thus illegal. This is also the case when you do own the original (which is assumed at this forum, or you are wrong here altogether).

Taking this into account, asking for or offering such patches is agsinst forum rules and forces the mods/admins to take action (could be closing or deleting the topic, but can also result in a ban for the user!). Even suggesting a user to use such a patch is considered against forum policy and the same actions may be taken to enforce this policy.

Sorry to be so strict, but I don’t want to get CD Freaks in trouble, I like this place and am trying my best to keep this up and running as long as possible.

Respect CD Freaks by respecting our rules, they are there for a reason!

Kind regards,
Da_Taxman

Previous discussions on this matter:
is it legal??
Legal stuff from Maximum pc