Are Nexxtech disks supposed to be this shitty?

vbimport

I read some threads on here and they’re supposedly “pretty good” but I just did a scan of them and it got a quality rating of around 0% because the PIF keeps shooting up to around 500. They were DVD-R 16x UME02’s from last Black Friday at Circuit City. Pi avg is around 300. Was this just a bad burn or are the disks really this bad?

[QUOTE=area5x1;2075848]I read some threads on here and they’re supposedly “pretty good” but I just did a scan of them and it got a quality rating of around 0% because the PIF keeps shooting up to around 500. They were DVD-R 16x UME02’s from last Black Friday at Circuit City. Pi avg is around 300. Was this just a bad burn or are the disks really this bad?[/QUOTE]

Hi area5x1,
media with UME02 MID are of average quality, but they are quite bad supported by firmwares of drives.
What is your drive and its fw version? A fw update or a strategy swap with MCSE should help you.
However, Umedisc’s DVD+R media (AML00x MID) are much better than -R ones, so you if you really want to buy these Nexxtech media then buy +R disc next time.

Burner? Burning speed? State of the recording surface? Drive used as a scanner? Please post the scan.

Burning Quality = media general quality + batch quality + disc condition + burner quality + firmware support + burning speed.

So first thing is, if you burned these @16X, burn them @8X and see if things get better. If they don’t, look for scuff marks, fingerprints, whatever. If the discs are pristine, either you need another burner (or firmware), or you need to toss the discs and buy something more universally supported in burners’ firmwares.

A late welcome to the CDFreaks… :slight_smile: (didn’t notice it was your first post).

[quote=pepst;2075880]Hi area5x1,
media with UME02 MID are of average quality, but they are quite bad supported by firmwares of drives.
What is your drive and its fw version? A fw update or a strategy swap with MCSE should help you.
However, Umedisc’s DVD+R media (AML00x MID) are much better than -R ones, so you if you really want to buy these Nexxtech media then buy +R disc next time.[/quote]

My drive is a NEC ND-3550A v1.05. Here is the drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827152058R

I will try updating the firmware and see what happens

[quote=Francksoy;2076032]Burner? Burning speed? State of the recording surface? Drive used as a scanner? Please post the scan.

Burning Quality = media general quality + batch quality + disc condition + burner quality + firmware support + burning speed.

So first thing is, if you burned these @16X, burn them @8X and see if things get better. If they don’t, look for scuff marks, fingerprints, whatever. If the discs are pristine, either you need another burner (or firmware), or you need to toss the discs and buy something more universally supported in burners’ firmwares.[/quote]

I used the burner as a scanner also. The disc is in pristine condition. What would you recommend for a burner? Here’s a picture of the scan

Try performing a Transfer Rate Test (e.g. using Nero CD-DVD Speed) and see if you get a nice smooth reading graph. If you do, then you can ignore the disc quality scans - the NEC ND-3550A (and others in the same series) is infamous for being completely whacky DVD scanners, and can show completely ridiculous scans on perfectly usable discs.

It the Transfer Rate Test (TRT) doesn’t look smooth, or fails to finish, then there’s reason to worry about the quality of your disc or the burn.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[quote=DrageMester;2076107]Try performing a Transfer Rate Test (e.g. using Nero CD-DVD Speed) and see if you get a nice smooth reading graph. If you do, then you can ignore the disc quality scans - the NEC ND-3550A (and others in the same series) is infamous for being completely whacky DVD scanners, and can show completely ridiculous scans on perfectly usable discs.

It the Transfer Rate Test (TRT) doesn’t look smooth, or fails to finish, then there’s reason to worry about the quality of your disc or the burn.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :)[/quote]

I tried to use Nero CD-DVD Speed but it says Error changing disc layer and then when I press start it says Command Sequence Error