Are my Verbatim 16x DVD-R MCC03rg20 fakes?

vbimport

Thought I’d start a new thread seeing as the other one is about their 8x dvd-r mcc02rg20.

After seeing the news post on cdfreaks, I quickly checked my Verbatim 16x DVD-R’s, only to find I do in fact have the fake www.d*dhs.com url instead of the normal www.dvdhs.com on the inside paper spindle cover. (I have dvdhs.com on the outside ring of the tub though).

The post at brennmeister (English translation) seems to talk about how everything has been forged:

It is in Hungarian stop goes around the fact that not only the medium code but really everything - label as well as packing - is falsified. The blanks are natural from inferior quality. It can present to me well that the manufacturer, to who one cannot deny a certain professionalism falsifies now also 16x of blanks.

One of the posters also provides a link with pictures to help check if your Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs are fake.

Even if one does not understand Hungarian: the pictures should one look at oneself, very interesting. “EREDETI” is called by the way “original”, “HAMIS” is a falsification. Thus can you the genuine from the Fakes differentiate.

Scans and pictures to follow

Scan straight afterwards:

Scan 14 days later:

Now I know that these scans are both in spec, but I have not seen any other Verbatim 16x DVD-R MCC03RG20 with this many PI Errors: 400,000+ after burning, and 1,000,000+ 2 weeks later. And also PI Errors in the 80+ region, which the first poster from brennmeister also mentions.

Is this a sign that my discs are in fact fakes?

They were bought from www.cd-rmedia.co.uk - what I thought was a reputable UK online store.

Some pics of the tub:

Also notice the way the external ring label around the spindle joins together. Looking at that hungarian site, the “EREDETI” is the real one, while the “hamis?” is the “fake?”

Although this is for 8x MCC02rg20, take a look at pictures 2 and 4.

Does the same apply with these 16x MCC03rg20?

DVD Identifier says this:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

And codes on the discs:
disc1:
Inner ring inprinted: MAP634 JE05175032 6
Outer ring more difficult to read on dark purple ring: ZD3177-DVR-J47C1

disc2:
Inner ring inprinted: MAP634 JE05175034 2
Outer ring more difficult to read on dark purple ring: ZD3177-DVR-J47C1

Your disc’s are genuine media.
To be more complete it’s made by CMC MAGNETICS.
Now it’s very nice that your report in about the fact that your package was screwed and you also post the serials quite fast. This way we know it probally was verbatim who made a mistake.
Also I thought that when the german user suggested that he bought it at Saturn.
Still the performance is bothering me.

For completeness I noticed that a slightly newer batch of yours that I have doesn’t have the error on the sides however at the underside of paper circle on top of it it does mention www.dhdhs.com
I can stand in that this spindle is 100% genuine verbatim.
Looks like someone at CMC or Verbatim was with it fingers at the wrong spot. :bigsmile:

Yes, they are genuine MCC-CMC crap. I had a “pleasure” to buy them as well. No more Verbatim for me (exept for DL media) for good. If you want normal, consistent quality @ 12x and 16x than buy TY. Lately it’s a reality.

CMC-made MCC works fairly well here. I haven’t run any to any absolutely bad batches with the 16x media so far, though I have run into some MCC003 (8x) in the past that had serious problems near the outer edge of the discs.

I see, so my media is not fake then,

Any ideas why I have so many PI errors compared to everyone else?

And just as concerning is the way it more than doubles in PI errors over a period of 2 weeks.

Also dakhaas:

That’s like mine then :slight_smile:

Says www.dhdhs.com on the inside paper spindle cover, but www.dvdhs.com on the outside ring of the tub though

:disagree: Just because your experience was bad (though you don’t mention the problem you had with these discs) doesn’t mean it’s “reality”.

I use lots of MCC 03RG20 made at CMC plants and they’re all perfectly fine. :cool:

[off topic]Nice pr0n link mate LOL[/off topic]

Francksoy, as you can see I am not alone here with the same negative feedbacks. It’s all started with Verbatim 8x media and it’s getting worse and worse.

edit What problems have you encountered?

If your scans with the 1640 are generally consistent from scan to scan (re-scan to be sure…), this is bad news for your discs as not only the PIE levels have doubled but the total PIF count has doubled as well! Such degradation in to weeks may only be due to defective discs, unless you store them in bad conditions (light, heat, humidity, dust…) - how do you stock your discs by the way?

Another thing to consider is: are your 1640 scans generally consistent from scan to scan? I have no experience with the 1640 so I don’t know much about variations in scans with this drive. I haven’t been consulting the Benq forum much since my 1620 died. :frowning:
Re-scan and see if your result are similar, just to be sure :iagree:

As to “fakes or not fakes”, I’m enclined to trust Dakhaas in this ;), so if you discs are indeed degrading and keep on doing so in the next weeks, you should have them replaced through Verbatim’s warranty. :slight_smile:

Franksoy, let’s keep it friendly. There’s no call for comments like that to DieseI, unless you want to cause a flame war, which I’m sure you don’t.

Indeed I don’t. I’m sorry if it sounds so! - er, just re-read it, well it does sound like I do :doh: … was before my coffee :rolleyes: damn too late to edit my post :doh:

Thanks C0deKing :slight_smile:

I just got a similar Verbatib DVD-R 25 pack spindle, there is no www.dhdhs.com or any website on the inside paper spindle cover, but there is a www.dvdhs.com on the outside ring of the tub though

I got them cheap here in Morocco the 25 pack costs 100 MAD (Moroccan Dirham) which is about $11.63 USD or $0.47 USD per disc :slight_smile:

Just look at the codes in the hub. Does it start with MOP or MOH or does it have a dash - in the serial?

It seems it has a dash in the serial, in the inner transparent ring it says:
6009 510 -R E B 08009

and in the outer non transperent ring at writable side it says:
ZD4079-DVR-J47C1

Nero Info tool says : Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20

On the cylindric ouside paper it says “Made in India”

Are they good discs ? Can you please tell whether they are geniune or fake and which is the manufacturer ?

Is it better to burn at 8x or 16x is fine ? I intend to use them for Playstation 2 backups. My DVD writer is a Pioneer DVR-110D OEM version with firmware 1.41