Are my PSU voltages ok?

vbimport

Hi guys,

I’ve been having major PC problems over the last week or so. My PC at first was getting BSODS, then moved on to just freezing up entirely when under full load, or close to full load. Games will freeze are around 5 minutes. 3D rendering will freeze after around 5 minutes too.

Anyway I’ve run several tests on my components. My RAM turned up 0 errors on Memtest86, my HDD’s despite being years old having come back with 0 errors on multiple programs. I also reformatted both my HDD’s which didn’t fix the problems. I ran Prime95’s torture test in “Small FFT” mdde to stress my CPU and Mobo and it crashed after about a minute. Now I’m fairly sure it’s either my PSU, CPU or Motherboard at fault.

Anyway in terms of my PSU I’m wondering if these voltages are ok? My PSU is a 600w Solytech SL-8600EPS PSU.

I’m slightly concerned about these voltages as the shown voltages don’t seem to match up with their corresponding readings.

My PC Specs are:

Windows 7 Professional 64Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz
Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X Motherboard
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX470 1280MB GDDR5 Graphics Card
600w Solytech SL-8600EPS PSU

I really need to work out what needs replacing PSU, Mobo or CPU asap.

Thanks GREATLY for any help.

Yo-

Looks like your power supply is the most likely suspect (most psu’s with ‘Active PFC’ will cut themselves off rather than damaging your system). You don’t say where you are located (this is a world wide site) but - assuming USA - encourage you to look at the Corsair brand - very reliable and competitively priced and can be found on sites like:

www.Amazon.com and www.newegg.com

I would look at the 650watt and 750 watt choices for best value/price.

I’m in the UK actually :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. Would a PSU definitely cause the crashes I’ve described then? When my PC crashes it doesn’t so much crash as it just freezes. The screen stays on with the last frame of the game or whatever still up.

I would have thought if the PSU was at fault my whole system would just turn off?

Sorry for the questions I just really don’t want to drop money on something only to find out I still have the problem :stuck_out_tongue:

I suspect some of those readings, if the +12V was really at 16V, I think you’d be smelling smoke!

Try ASUS own utilities and see what readings they give

I have to agree with Matth there. Do you have a volt meter? You can check the voltage at any available molex plug while the PC is running, just don’t short out any of the pins with the probes from the meter. There should be 12V and 5V at a molex connector.

But since all your other components are quality brands I would have to think its the PSU thats the culprit. Seasonic, Corsair, Antec are quality brands.