Are my IDE settings the problem?

OK,

I have a AMD64 3200 system with two HDDs, one is SATA, one is IDE. I’ve heard how most of you say, if you have two IDE Channels, use them both, so that your burner and your source HDD aren’t on the same channel. I did this, unfortunately, my HDD performs like pure crap on the Secondary IDE Channel, so it’s on my primary, and my BenQ 1655 is on the secondary.

I’ve been having some really bad burns on otherwise Great Media for the most part, I’m getting over 10,000 PIFs with TYG03 Media, which never happened before. My question is, could the fact that I have my 1655 on the Secondary Channel be causing this problem? And, since my IDE HDD is rarely my source drive for burning, can I slave my burner w/ my HDD?

The IDE spec [I]calls[/I] for the optical drive as the secondary when on the same channel as a hard drive so you are not doing anything that should be the problem.

BenQs can be picky but this is unusual. The only way to tell would be to do back to back burns with the drive swapped from slave to master. Put on as master with no hard drive.

Hi,

connecting the Benq at the secondary channel is okay. But check jumper settings and use (preferred, not absolutely necessary) an 80 wired IDE cable.

Also, some Nvidia IDE drivers are known to cause issues. In that case, uninstall them and use the standard drivers, that are built in Windows.

Michael

Also be sure your PSU is up to the job. :slight_smile:

I have a Via K8T Chipset (I know, I know), with the Windows IDE Drivers. I’m gonna slave the BenQ 1655 with the HDD as the master when I get home from work today and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn’t, then I really don’t know what to do, as I was getting really good quality burns (99 rating) from my TYG03 media, and now they’re really not looking good at all.

Hi,

What’s wrong with that? My machine is also equipped with KT800 Pro chipset:)

I’m gonna slave the BenQ 1655 with the HDD as the master when I get home from work today and see if that makes a difference.
I’d prefer running that drive as master on the secondary port, not paired with a HDD. Instead, check the IDE cable. Maybe it is bad (I experienced such recently). Don’t use cables, that are longer than 46cm (18") and use flat ribbon cables, not those rounded ones.

If it doesn’t, then I really don’t know what to do, as I was getting really good quality burns (99 rating) from my TYG03 media, and now they’re really not looking good at all.
So, the drive worked good before, and something went wrong. Then I wouldn’t play around with other jumper settings and similar, but try to find out, what went bad:

• IDE cable
  • the drive itself (can you try it in another computer to sort out system issues?)
  • a bad batch of media (try other brands)

Michael

When I had my first 1655 I ran it on CS jumper setting on the same Channel as my HDD, my source drive was the SATA HDD. I had really good burns until the drive died, RMAed it w/ Newegg, they replaced it. Got this one, decided to run it as the master on the secondary channel, got maybe two weeks of quality burns, now PIFs from 12,000 (TYG03) to 20,000 (Sony MITs). Even with not-so-good media, I was never getting scans this bad.

So, the rounded IDE Cables are no good? I have one running to my HDD, and to my floppy, I use them to promote good airflow. I have a standard flat IDE cable running to the burner. I don’t have any spares lying around, so maybe I’ll just switch it with the one running to my HDD. I also thought, maybe there’s a problem with my Secondary IDE Channel, because my HDD lagged REALLY BAD on that Channel. So maybe I’ll slave it to the HDD on the Primary Channel just for a shot in the dark.

There are a few good ones, but one has to be careful
when shopping for them, as many are junk.
There’s a whole thread on the subject here.