Are my chances better at winning the loto than getting a good drive?

I’m replacing my 811s which has just been burning horrible lately which you might have seen in another thread of mine. I bought an 832s from Best Buy the other day and got a fairly good result. I returned it afterwards since I couldn’t bring myself to spending almost $200 on it. I ordered another one from Newegg which is not producing the greatest results in Kprobe. I used the same media and same version of nero on the drives and have recieved completely different results. The first one is the drive I returned. The second is the one I got from newegg which is the best scan I have got so far. A previous scan on Verbatim was going as high as 600 toward the end. I did delete the highest PIF values in the second one. Should I RMA the drive back or is this the best Liteon is going to produce and it’s the luck of the draw?

The Liteon from Best Buy I returned…

The liteon from Newegg…

You should update your firmware to VS04 or downgrade to US0n (812s)

I have a real 812S that was converted via EEPROM to a 832S. The Manufacturing date was January 2004.

Using US0N my K-Probe’s are high.
Using VS04 my K-Probe’s are low.

Same media RicohJPNR01@R02, same spindle, Imation Branded…
Go Figure…

I just find it strange that I had two exact drives with the same firmware and got such different results. I’ll try the firmware upgrade tonight.

You will find the “original” Lite-On 812 and 832 firmware HERE.

Welcome :cool:

Edit; cyberock edited his post, so this post is someway outdated…