Are my backups safe from airport authorities?

Once a year i visit my family in greece and my cousin and i have a huge film watching fest. I used to take about 20 of my dvd’s but he wants to see loads, and so i want to take about 100. All of my dvd;s are backed up and have been printed on with dvd covers. I’d be carting them off in my 200 cd dj style aluminium case. I dont care if the airport people can see that there are cd’s inside, it them asking me to open the case and thinking im some sort of pirate dvd smuggler :eek: :Z Any ideas? Would they ask to see the contents??? :confused:

Um … with 100 DVD’s … I believe they’d be suspect.

Isn’t it better to take a notebook computer filled with 100GB video?

Sounds to me like they might even ask you to play one or two also. :wink: Just kidding! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, if it’s a case, expect for them to ask you to open it and see the contents. I had a camera, and when I went through the airport at Chicago (coming back to the states) and at London (both ways), I was asked to point the camera at myself and take a picture, and open my camera case, my fanny pack, my carry-on briefcase… it is possible they’ll ask you to open it and ask you to show them the contents. :stuck_out_tongue:

eesh that sucks lol. Would they be as suspect if i took a cd wallet that holds a 100 discs??

greg there is a program I wished I knew for sure the name that let’s you upload your movies where you can access it from any PC I just don’t remember the program. Maybe some of the members here can point you in that direction.

Whenever my ex used to come over from the US, he used a proggy called TightVNC (I think that’s the name) to acess his stuff - play his mp3s etc - from my PC.

Don’t know if that’s the kind of thing you mean?

Greg, if it’s something zipped up, carry on, any kind of wallet/case, it’s fair game, and kind of depends on who you “get” as an “inspector” Keep in mind my experience was back in 1993, so I can just imagine they’ve become more careful now with asking to check everything, especially at international locations like Heathrow or any other major airport. FYI, if you take a laptop, they’ll probably ask you to turn it on and boot it up, so they can see it’s really a computer, as that was SOP in 1993, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really, anything’s preferable to having them put it thorugh the x-ray machine, because I would think the x-rays would screw up the backups in some way, but I don’t know that for sure. Since Kenshin is here, maybe he could enlighten us…?

hmm, ive only hot a 130 gb external hard disk, and its just a hassle to rip again. Do they scan items you put in the hold? I mean if i put the big cd wallet in my hold luggage would they open that? Im pretty sure x-rays at airports dont do anything to optical media.

Take a look at this greg.

http://www.dvdxsoftware.com/product_details.asp?productid=1027

so the simple answer to my question, no there isnt a way to transport 100 dvd’s Any response on the putting the case in the hold luggage question???

Have no idea, Greg, but to be safe, I would declare the cd/dvd 100 wallet as a carry-on, if you don’t mind lugging it around. :wink:

lol, lugging around, no problem, having a nosy inspector say ‘my my my, those are some pretty looking dvd’s. mind if we arrest you?’

LOL, greg, but they can’t arrest you for lugging DVDs with you. They might ask you to open it, but I wouldn’t be worried about it. The worst they can do is ask you to unzip it and see there are DVDs in there, maybe flip few a few pages to make sure they look like DVDs, then move on to something else. They might not ask you to open it at all, as carry-ons do have a little more leeway sometimes.

yeah, but greece has a big problem with pirate dvd people so im just worried they will want to persue matters further if they think im one of them. :confused:

I see your point. Perhaps you can ask someone who goes through Greece regularly that may also take DVDs with them, if they have had their CD/DVD wallets searched and/or what they do when they take them? That might be a good idea, no? :wink:

I would be really careful about lugging “backups” on the plane. My mother’s friend visited Hong Kong a few years ago and bought a bunch of pirated VCDs . At the airport they held her at customs and eventually fined something ridiculous like $40,000USD. They had to sell one of their homes to pay that fine. Most ppl would get away with it, I guess she just got unlucky. The funny thing is she’s a middle-aged Chinese woman that just bought the movies to watch, and in Asia pirating is considered normal. Airport authorities can care less if you have the original at home; backup means pirating.

You could always say they’re DVD’s of photos, but personally after hearing that I leave all my backup copies at home and just load iso image files on my laptop.

i think taking a binder of 10 or 20 movies isn’t a big deal, but lugging a DJ case with a couple hundred WILL cause suspicion.

if you need more than the number of moveies that will fit in a binder, take a few binders and put them in different suitcases or with a family member’s suitcase if you’re traveling with others, but i wouldn’t lug a huge case like that…hell all you’d have to do was open the case in the back of your van and you’d have an instant shop set up! it would be very easy for them to jump to conclusions and probably even easier for them to charge you with something.

Piracy isn’t normal in Asia and Asia is too large and diverse to be treated as a single culture. Even Ghenghis Khan and his sons failed to conquer India and Japan.

There are eyes everywhere that report things to the police, lawyers, license holders, etc. There are even people who make their money by extracting money out of people who unknowingly or knowingly pirate just simple web news articles or a few .jpg image files.

The main difference may be that there is no Microsoft, no Time-Warner, no Penguin, no RIAA in China.

Piracy isn’t normal in Asia and Asia is too large and diverse to be treated as a single culture. Even Ghenghis Khan and his sons failed to conquer India and Japan.

There are eyes everywhere that report things to the police, lawyers, license holders, etc. There are even people who make their money by extracting money out of people who unknowingly or knowingly pirate just simple web news articles or a few .jpg image files.

The main difference may be that there is no Microsoft, no Time-Warner, no Penguin, no RIAA in China.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound offensive. What I meant when I refer to “Asia” was a few select countries. My in-laws are Chinese and from what I’ve personally seen on our frequent trips to HK/China/Macau it seems that a large majority there don’t seem to respect intellectual property like they do in North America. A relative explained to me how almost everything there has a knock-off, from hand bags, to movies, software, cigarettes, even soy sauce. And the ppl that buy these things don’t think twice about it since it’s so common.

Anyway, back on topic: leave the big shiney case at home and bring just a few dvds to be safe.