Are "Mirror DVD-R" certified TY discs or are they telling porkies?

vbimport

I already know that TY is very stringent and usually don’t give out to third party brands, (resulting in fakes being used) But this statement, provided by Big Pockets .com completely baffled me.

“The Mirror Platinum DVD-R 8X certified media brings Taiyo Yuden quality at a very competitive price.”

If this is true, I never thought TY would stoop so low to give out to cheap brands like Mirror - Feeling suggests this is a lie. :rolleyes:

Finally, (from B2Btrade.net)

“NiCAM Stereo compatible Suitable for Digital TV” - This threw me completely - What does this mean? I know NiCAM technology is a stereo technology developed by the BBC during the early seventies, but what does this actually mean?

Sounds to me they are just trying to big up adequite media :cop:

The words [U][B]brings Taiyo Yuden quality at a very competitive price[/B][/U] says to me that they are most likely fakes
something like what Shop4tech sells as the Sonic line of DVD-R that uses the TYG02 MID but are definitely not
real TYG02 discs.

Mirror discs are junk, definitely fake if the MID is indeed TYG02

I thought as much - I don’t have much optimism for these Mirror discs but time will tell if they are decent enough. Thankfully, I do have a reserve of Maxell RitekF1 discs which are to be used for vital data / video backups - These Mirror ones are meant for data which is not neccisarily important - eg, data I can just redownload and slap onto another disc :slight_smile:

Although admittedly I botched this purchase since 50 pack of Maxell RitekF1 could be bought from Wilkinsons for £7.50 - Should really got £2.50 extra and bought those Maxells :doh:

Still, we will see how it goes. I’ve burnt two discs (Not very impressive) but they burned and verified excellently. I’ll keep MyCE posted :wink:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2583342]I thought as much - I don’t have much optimism for these Mirror discs but time will tell if they are decent enough. Thankfully, I do have a reserve of Maxell RitekF1 discs which are to be used for vital data / video backups - These Mirror ones are meant for data which is not neccisarily important - eg, data I can just redownload and slap onto another disc :slight_smile:

Although admittedly I botched this purchase since 50 pack of Maxell RitekF1 could be bought from Wilkinsons for £7.50 - Should really got £2.50 extra and bought those Maxells :doh:

Still, we will see how it goes. I’ve burnt two discs (Not very impressive) but they burned and verified excellently. I’ll keep MyCE posted ;)[/QUOTE]

I’ve had excellent results with RitekF1 media! They burn and scan beautifully! I shall make my own thread so I don’t hijack this one with scans! :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure how LONG they will last, but many fake TYG02 actually write adequately in some drives if not overspeeding - but show their true form immediately when given the overspeed that genuine TYG02 will handle beautifully.

Hi Matth, (and everyone :stuck_out_tongue: ) sorry about the late reply, but I’ve just verified a DVD I produced three months ago on a Mirror Fake TYG03 disc - And it verifies really well on IMGBurn - Up to about 10 or 11x without any slow down in my BenQ burner :slight_smile: Although I don’t trust them still for longitivity - My RitekF1 I still have a better vouch for IMO - They are looking like pretty good discs.

That said, time will still tell.

But what does the actual quote “NiCAM stereo compatable” mean? Is it just marketing hype? I thought all DVD recorders dealt with Stereo as part of the recording standards and whatnot? :confused: