Are HD DVDs region locked?

Some guy is selling some HD DVDs on ebay and another member of ebay asked him the question are the HD DVDs he is selling region locked he replyed saying No HD DVDs are not region locked. Can anyone tell me if this is true because I am thinking about buying some and I am in the UK so I dont know if they will work on my Xbox360 HD DVD drive when it gets released.

Some are, some not.

No, all HD-DVDs are region free.

HD-DVDs are region free and yes, UK HD-DVDs will work with US Xbox360 HD DVD drive.

Maybe in one area, I’ve read about regioned ones, sorry.

Trust me. :wink:
Region codes aren’t (yet) defined in the HD-DVD specification, so all HD-DVD players and HD-DVD discs are region free by definition.
Blu-ray discs and players on the other hand are region locked.

yet is true. :wink:

[QUOTE=Tru;1589301]Trust me. :wink:
Region codes aren’t (yet) defined in the HD-DVD specification, so all HD-DVD players and HD-DVD discs are region free by definition.
Blu-ray discs and players on the other hand are region locked.[/QUOTE]

That is correct. Blu-Ray is region locked and HD-DVD is not. Among the tech savvy crowd (which are the ones currently investing in high def anyways) this is a big selling point for HD-DVD. It certainly is for me. :wink:

And regioning is already in the next upcoming spec update for HD-DVD. :bigsmile: