Are faster burn speeds reliable?

vbimport

I recently got a new SONY AW-G170A B2 with 18x DVD burn speed. I read somewhere a while ago that faster burn speeds aren’t as reliable as slower speeds such as 4x. I was wondering if this is true, because lately I’ve been burning data DVD discs at 18x. Should i lower my speed or is 18x fine?

With a quality 16x media I burn at 12x for reliable results. Whilst good to excellent results can be got by 16x or 18x burning I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Burning at 18x increases the risk of getting a bad burn, especially if your media isn’t top notch. By burning at a less extreme burning speed such as 6x, 8x or 12x, you will reduce that risk. It doesn’t guarantee a better burn, but it reduces the risk of getting a bad burn.

Burning DVD±R Single Layer media at 4x or slower on most modern drives will often produce worse burning quality than burning at medium speeds or even high speeds.

Thanks for the info. Just curious, what burn speed should i use for home movies i have edited/created to burn onto a DVD? In other words what speed is the best so that there are no skips and playback is smooth.

That depends on the burner aswell as on the media…
Which drive/media do you use?

Me, I prefer Verbatim DVD+R 16x and Taiyo Yuden 8x for my video backups.
My combinations:

Plextor 755A + Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R (TYG02) burning at 8x
Benq 1650 + Verbatim DVD+R 16x (MCC004) burning at 12x

Also in use:

Plextor 755A + Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R (TYG03) burning at 8x and 12x
LG H22N + Verbatim DVD+R 16x (MCC004) burning at 18x

The source of the data is not the factor in quality burning. The speed of the burn, the drive, and the media are what makes a difference. Good media on the right burner is generally best at 12X. Some is better at 8X. Lower quality is generally better at 8X. It all depends.

Quality media is perhaps the most significant factor.

I’m with [B]Pianoman[/B] on this as I primarily use Verbatim/Infinity 16x +R and Taiyo Yuden +R (8x & 16x) media.
Sony 16x +R which I recently got (on offer) seem to be going well so far.

i also found lower burn speeds. cut back on bad burns x8 for nero on a liteon only a few minutes longer

I use TDK 18x DVD+R (70 pack spindle) with a SONY AW-G170A B2 18x DVD burner. Do you think TDK is of good quality.

I’ve burnt TYG03 media at 20X with my LiteOn 20A1P and the results are awesome minus a spike in LiteOn scan but Benq’s scan is astounding besides TRT is excellent with both drives

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1737646&postcount=460

My experiences were not good so I dumped TDK. Most other comments I read here are not positive.

I tested my 18X/20X drives and they overspeed well but i burn my keepers (TY02’s mainly) at rated speed.