Are DVD-RAM discs safer for archival than other DVD discs?

vbimport

I figure if i have the need to have sensitive data to go on a DVD i will use my DVD-RAM discs…

[QUOTE=Bob;2051449]I figure if i have the need to have sensitive data to go on a DVD i will use my DVD-RAM discs…[/QUOTE]Most reputable DVDR like T02s, MCC004, MCC02RG20 etc… should outlive us according to my own stability testing/survey, if burnt and stored correctly.

The reputation of DVD-RAM as a long-term (archival) medium is based more on theory and hearsay than on fact IMO: where’s the data? :confused:

Anyway, statistically, having two (or more) backups on two different good media stored in different places, is much safer than having a single backup on [I]any[/I] “outstanding” media. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2051466][B]The reputation of DVD-RAM as a long-term (archival) medium is based more on theory and hearsay than on fact [/B]IMO: where’s the data? :confused:[/QUOTE]ok i’m from Missouri so show me :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Bob;2051489]ok i’m from Missouri so show me :slight_smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM[/QUOTE]From the very page you link to:
[I]“Long life — without physical damage, data is retained for an [B]estimated[/B] 30 years minimum.”[/I]

[B]Estimated[/B], that’s the key word. No hard statistical data showing that DVD-RAM would “last longer” than DVD-R, that I know of. As I said, theory and hearsay, not actual data.

Besides, the expected lifespan of DVDR is at least the same as this number… of course excluding known fast degrading stuff like Ritek G04/G05 and some other unstable media.

Whatever, a DVD-RAM is just as prone to an accident than a DVDR, so two DVDRs are better than one DVDRAM.

But we’re far off-topic… :wink:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2051504]But we’re far off-topic… ;)[/QUOTE]yeah way off topic:

But i showed you what i read now where is your substantial info to prove your story? :wink: Let me nit pick at what you have.

DVD-RAM errors are self correcting. DVD±R’s are not. Seems you have never used DVD-RAM discs?

Edit:
Maybe a mod will split this off for us please.

The title should be “Are Falcon Pro DVD-R Archival Gold better than DVD-RAM Discs” please

[QUOTE=Bob;2051516]But i showed you what i read now where is your substantial info to prove your story? :wink: [/quote]I have no “story”. [I]You[/I] have one, and I’m being skeptic, so I ask for data supporting the claims.

Let me nit pick at what you have.
??? I have nothing else than my skepticism and the fact that there is no actual [I]data[/I] supporting the claims that DVD-RAM has better longevity than good SL DVDR media.
DVD-RAM errors are self correcting. DVD±R’s are not.
This is in no way correlated with longevity, but with usage reliability. Besides, the way you put is technically incorrect.
Seems you have never used DVD-RAM discs?
Are you trying to pick up a fight. ? Good luck! :bigsmile:
The title should be “Are Falcon Pro DVD-R Archival Gold better than DVD-RAM Discs” please
I have never said that Falcon Gold DVDRs are better than DVD-RAM discs. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2051697][B]I have no “story”[/B]. [I]You[/I] have one, and I’m being skeptic, so I ask for data supporting the claims. ??? I have nothing else than my skepticism and the fact that there is no actual [I]data[/I] supporting the claims that DVD-RAM has better longevity than good SL DVDR media.This is in no way correlated with longevity, but with usage reliability. Besides, the way you put is technically incorrect.Are you trying to pick up a fight. ? Good luck! :bigsmile: [B]I have never said that Falcon Gold DVDRs are better than DVD-RAM discs. :rolleyes[/B]:[/QUOTE]ok then end of your story and no fight but you have nothing but skepticism to add :rolleyes:

In bold then why did you reply to my comment if you nothing but… ? oh never mind you have nothing to add to that either…

Sorry Burnsama i don’t know why this even happened…

• Moved posts here from another thread * *

Dunno why you’d think DVD-RAM would last longer. It’s a phase change type of technology isn’t it? You can manipulate the data and rewrite to it many times. It’d be less resistant to all types of conditions just because of this IMO. If a laser can change the data on the disc, who’s to say leaving it in the sun all day wouldn’t have a nasty effect?

Discs like MCC02RG20 have actually been tested in these conditions and they withstand lots of punishment.

I’d say YEAH, even more when you use the cartridged DVD-RAM media.