Are DVD drives as incompatible as CD drives?

vbimport

CD drives are incompatible with each other. That is a cd burned on one drive cannot be read on many other drives.
I was wondering if DVD drives are any better?

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2515648]CD drives are incompatible with each other. That is a cd burned on one drive cannot be read on many other drives.
[/QUOTE]

What makes you say that? My experience is that if you use good media your problems with the drives will be minimal. Having a good burner won’t hurt, read some reviews here to see what people recommend.

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2515648]CD drives are incompatible with each other. That is a cd burned on one drive cannot be read on many other drives.
I was wondering if DVD drives are any better?[/QUOTE]

Whenever I identified a drive or media that are incompatible with other drives I do one simple thing… I shitcan the offending drive and or media,

If I wanted to make coasters I wouldn’t waste time or electricity running them through my optical drive.

Cheap drives or cheap media are no more of a bargain than anything else “Cheap”

“Cheap” isn’t only a matter of price.

Yo-

In the 15 years that I have been using CD-R drives and DVD drives - I have NEVER been unable to read a properly burned disc from another drive-eh!!

Wrong, wrong and wrong.
I have a bunch (heap) of cd and dvd drives and like bigmike7 they never failed to read properly burned media…

In defense of the original poster; There are media and/or writers that seem highly incompatible with other media readers. Usually it’s the media that sucks though.

My experience regarding writers is using a writer that you can modify with firmware (dangerous, because out of warranty, but then again these things aren’t that expensive). Regarding a standalone dvd player my experience is that the lamest weirdest chinese cheap ass crap brands can and will read more than any well known popular brand.

I used a Lite-On drive and Nero to burn the discs. There were different brands of media including Taiyo Yuden.

Which Liteon was it?

Not maybe on of those having quirked firmwares on it or were oc/modded??

Yo Klawdek-

You are posting very generic type statements - without any specifics.

Appears to me that you are trying to cause some sort of controversy.

Therefore - I encourage my fellow members to NOT engage you with any further dialog-eh!!

There are definitely quirks that certain drives have, like the DVD-R late lead-in bug in some LiteOns, and certain media issues such as low reflectivity (used to be an issue with rewritable media - everybody remember “MultiRead”) or DVD+R booktype in older standalone players.

The average user should not regularly run into problems though. If you experience a lot of incompatibility issues, check whether you have any drives or media that are known to make trouble. A combination of a good quality drive and Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media should never cause problems.

Are you burning multi-session discs?

I do not recall what lite-on drive it was. This was back in '05-'06.
I never burn multisession discs.
I am not trying to start trouble there are issues with media being recorded on one drive and not playing on other drives. I realize that the media itself makes a big difference.

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2516486]I do not recall what lite-on drive it was. [B]This was back in '05-'06. [/B]
I never burn multisession discs.
I am not trying to start trouble there are issues with media being recorded on one drive and not playing on other drives. I realize that the media itself makes a big difference.[/QUOTE]

And because of that issue with aged discs you wanna prove all our thoughts wrong?!

Crazy!!!