Are dual layer discs, one sided or two sided?

Are dual layer discs, one sided or two sided? you do you have to turn them over and burn on the other side?

thanks

They’re single sided.

So you can rip a whole dvd to another whole dvd? so why do people struggle to compress and remove subtitles and credits and just copythe whole thing

Dual layer discs are considerably more expensive, on average about $2.00 USD. Single layer you can get as cheap as 30 cents USD for the good stuff.

By the time you’ve removed extras, subtitles etc the compression required to fit a single layer discs is often not too great with the loss on quality being also imperceptible.

Plus there’s only one brand worth buying & that’s Verbatim.

i dont know where i got the idea you have to turn them over! thanks

some dvd discs have two layers one on each side and they are called dvd-10 if I am not mistaken

regular dvd is dvd-5 double layer is dvd-9 and two layers each one on a different side is dvd-10

Yes they’re -R and Verbatim make them: double-sided single layer.

[B]Nope, two layers on each side would be DVD-18.[/B]
1 layer on both sides is a flipper, DVD-10.
DVD5 is single layer on one side, DVD9 is 2 layers on 1 side.

thanks everyone

so 1 layer = dvd5
1 layer on each side = dvd10 (flipper)
2 layers on 1 side = DVD9
2 layers on each side = ?? (dunno)

My DVDRW says +R DL and -R DL, so it means it can do the DVD9 and whatever the one is with 2 layers on each side right? MCSE for my drive (sony dw-q520a) says

DVD+R9 supported media types: 13
DVD+R supported media types: 96
DVD+RW supported media types: 34
DVD-R supported media types: 120
DVD-RW supported media types: 36

it doesnt say DL or -DL only +R9 so im assuming thats the dual layer media i can use? does that mean it only supports +DL because its supposed to do both?

oh and can you buy all these discs as blanks by the way, are they available to the public or just the film makers who make dvds.

thanks

Hmmm…

The disc types ‘+R DL’ and ‘-R DL’ are single-sided, dual layer (ie both DVD-9). Your DVDRW will use both of these.

However your Sony DW-Q520a will only burn to +R DL and not -R DL.

As far as I know, any player/recorder/burner can use double-sided single layer -R (ie DVD-10) as it’s just like two -R single-layer (DVD-5) stuck back-to-back.

ah sorry i noticed chef mentioned 2 layers on each side is DVD -18.

i thought my drive did both +DL and -DL, the dvdidentifier program says:

** INFO : Drive = SONY DVD RW DW-Q520A - [FW HYS2] - [ATAPI]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AE1]

??

It’s not +DL or -DL; just ‘DL’. The discs are +R or -R.

Look at the DVD Identifier log:

** INFO : Drive = SONY DVD RW DW-Q520A - [FW HYS2] - [ATAPI]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AE1]
It’s confusingly written there as if there’s a “-” sign before the “DL”, but in this instance it just denotes a space character.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were talking about two different burners before. The bottom line is that your Sony DW-Q520a will burn both +R DL and -R DL discs, and both these are of the DVD-9 class.

ahh yes, i guess all the + and - made it a bit confusing.

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1359
how do i know if these double layer discs are one single layer on each side(dvd10), or both layers on one side(dvd9) ?

Well before I even look, “double layer” is a term exclusively reserved for two layers on one side of the disc.

Edit: OK I just looked and indeed those Verbatims are single-sided, double-layer (+R DL i.e. DVD-9).

The DVD-10’s are called “double-sided”, and as far as I know there aren’t any double-sided, double layer discs (i.e. DVD-18) available yet.

If there are, then Monsieur chef will doubtless let us know imminently ;).

how could you tell they were singled sided double layer and not double sided single layer, ie a dvd9 and not a dvd10 - are all ‘double/dual layer’ discs dvd9? and all ‘double sided’ discs either dvd10 or the not available dvd-18(which has a double layer on each side)? i hope that made sense!

Yep. :flower:

I totally agree with you, but I have a problem, my Logix 3300D home dvd player doesn’t like dual/double layer dvd’s :frowning:

So either there is a fix for the dvd player, or I am looking for a new dvd player that can play dvd+r double layer dvds.

videohelp.com is a very good resource for this stuff.

Info about your player here.
If you want to try burned DL media on it, I’d suggest to use Verbatim DL 2.4x rated only. If they can be bitset to DVD-ROM - would just be better.

Flippers (DVD-10) are hardly available nowadays, I’ve only seen them as DVD-R and DVD-RAM media so far. Not only this, but they are really more expensive than all other medias…
Most DVD-VIDEO titles come as DVD9 (2 layers, 1 sided, pressed) discs these days, and because ±R DL media was/is still more expensive than SL (dvd5) media, most people just shrink the content down and burn it onto a DVD5; DVD+R or DVD-R media.

Some more insight into the DVD format: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Yeah, its a bit confusing. Recordable +R DL media were introduced as DOUBLE LAYER, recordable -R DL media were introduced as DUAL LAYER. But it describes the same idea…
DVD18 is available, but only as pressed stuff (rare so far) and maybe as recordable in some labours. But I’m sure the industry will force BD and HDDVD instead of such formats for obvious reasons.