Are Cisco Routers THAT good?

vbimport

I have a linksys wrt54gl router that is supposed to be good because linksys are owned by cisco the big industrial networking company.

I have the opportunity to buy a
CISCO 1200 AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 WIRELESS AP ACCESS POINT
and wonder whether this product would ‘blow away’ the linksys or whether its original high price is more to do with the metal box and general industrial construction.

I am particularly interested in range.

Any input would be apreciated.

Your clients will be more the issue due to their transmission power.
If you want something better than the outdated WRT54GL (Broadcom-platform) go with a AP81 or AP83 platform.
//Danne

Hi,

Cisco branded hardware usually requires administration by people who know what they are doing. Please check cisco.com website, read the documentation which is available there and see if your demands are covered.

Michael

I assume that you’re talking about IOS which can be hard for your average user but I doubt he’ll need to poke around that much since it’s an AP and not a router. But as I said earlier, your biggest issue would be transmission power of your clients and a decent 11n router will increase your coverage and most likely be cheaper. It’s better than your consumer router/AP since it does have support contracts and has a much more detailed feature set of its capabilities etc.
//Danne

Is the client the firmware? (sorry)

clients --> connected devices
//Danne

I had a linksys router, don’t remember the model, lasted 4 years, still works, but I don’t need it anymore. Had NO problems with it!

Alternatively, for increased range, you can always get an amplifier and use it for your current or any future router. Such an example can be found below, but read up on it via google search first.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless-amplifiers.php

It is also likely a more expensive option.

[QUOTE=spacebass;2511193]I have a linksys wrt54gl router that is supposed to be good because linksys are owned by cisco the big industrial networking company.[/quote] Well, Linksys routers are good, but NOT because they are owned by Cisco now.

The Linksys wrt54gl has always been an awesome router, since it can be heavily modified and tweaked to your wishes using open source firmware.

I have the opportunity to buy a
CISCO 1200 AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 WIRELESS AP ACCESS POINT
and wonder whether this product would ‘blow away’ the linksys or whether its original high price is more to do with the metal box and general industrial construction.

I am particularly interested in range.
I doubt it will. The standards in wireless do not make a certain router that much better than others. The transmission power of a linksys is good enough for your average household. The hacked/open source firmware of the Linksys wrt54gl gives a multitude of possibilities (even amplifying signal strenght), but absolutely no warranty. Perhaps your needs are best met with two Linksys routers?

If you are trying to setup a business and require a lot of very trustworthy connections, maybe Cisco is the answer, because of the warranty. Then again i would not recommend a 2nd hand router, but a new one with complete support and warranty package.

Then again, it all depends on your needs and your uptime. If you want an absolute warranty that almost nothing will go wrong, you better get high quality stuff like Cisco. You’ll pay for it as well.

Thank you all very much for your valuable input. Much appreciated.

The cleint = connected devices is very clarifying the use of the term is not very consistant when you are reading about it.

I actually have the Thibor 3c firmware on my router.

Anyone have any knowledge of this device : Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

It is sopposed to be high powered and has detachable attennae which would enabe remote positioning and good antennae.

I live ib a U shaped condo block and I want to get the signal across the U to other units, so far with the Linksys I am connected sporadically but not achieving useable consistent speed even for normal surfing, even at high power 83mw. I amusing at that end a Zyxel G202W but it is on the end of a 5m USB extension chord that has an ‘amplifier’ built in.

Thanks again.

Why not buy a seperate amplifier, like xtacydima suggested, connected to your Linksys?

Go with the Buffalo, it’s a very nice router and supports 3rd party firmwares too :slight_smile:
//Danne

Is it possible for someone who knows what they are doing to somehow fit high gain antennae to the wrt54gl which as I remember does not have detachable antennae and wouldnt that also affect the use of an amplifier which I guess goes between the router out and the Antennae.

thanks very much!