Are BR Recorders Go Under $250 Soon?

vbimport

Are we going to see Stand Alone BR recorders become available for under $250 soon with BR media also for $2/each?.

I don’t know for sure but I bet it won’t be for another year or longer, that’s my guess anyway.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2104109]Are we going to see Stand Alone BR recorders become available for under $250 soon with BR media also for $2/each?.[/QUOTE]

I doubt the media will drop to $2 each for a good deal longer than a year. But we can hope.

• Standalone Blu-ray recorders go under $250 soon?
    No chance! Blu-ray recorders are popular in Japan but no standalone Blu-ray recorders been released in the US yet. FYI, few months ago Sony released BDZ-A70 Blu-ray recorder only in Japan for almost $1,700 (converted Yen to US).

• Blu-ray media under $2?
    Are you kidding? Even Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL 5pack is selling for $12 + shipping at newegg and $15 - $20 in retail stores eq bestbuy. That comes out to $2.5 - $4 each for the 8.5GB disc. Do you really expect a 25GB disc to be cheaper than a 8.5GB? It will be, but wait until DVD+R DL discs for $.25-.50 each, than we could get BD blanks for less than $2.

The lowest “regular” price for Blu-ray media is Ritek 25GB BD-R at rima.com for $6.00 if you buy 10. http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1819&Category_Code=BRM. It’s possible to see under $2 but maybe not too soon.

Regarding Blu-ray recorders (standalone) under $250, I have to agree with the above post. From $1700 to $250 will be a very long way to go.

But we all have to realize any new technology only profitable when used by mass consumption otherwise @ the price of $1700 or little less manufacturers will not have breack even for the cost.

Mass consumption of blu-ray players, media and recorders is not there yet. And production cost is still a problem.

But even that, DVD dual layer blanks are produced and consumed in mass but price is still hovering above $1.5 while DVD single layer blanks are as low as 5 cents.

I won’t be surprised if cost of manufacturing DL disk is highier than BR disk.