Are blu-ray blank media right for longevity?

vbimport

maybe the burn quality are good for some blank media but the archival quality is very bad.
that are the “independent determination” results of three german computer technical
and product testing journals.
c’t 14/2010
computerbild 07/2010
stiftung warentest 08/2010

http://dr-gerald-albach.suite101.de/blu-ray-disc-r-rohlinge-test-25-gb-bd-rs-bei-stiftung-warentest-a84329

for translations such as
http://www.dict.cc/

do you really trust the own test by the manufacturer/brand? :bigsmile:
as a general rule most it’s promotion jabbering.

if you have independent determination results feel free to post it.

Another example is this one:
http://panasonic.net/avc/blu-ray_disc/archive.html

Even tho its called Archive Grade BD media and they promote it with a certificate from “TÃœV Rheinland” I wouldnt count on any word they tell us. :smiley:

that “test” :rolleyes: [U][B]for[/B] panasonic[/U] :bigsmile: is a very big joke.

they tested only one important point as opposed to the "independent determination"
results of three german computer technical and product testing journals.

TÃœV Rheinland Japan:
“Basierend auf den Testergebnissen bieten Panasonic Blu-ray Discs bei einer
Raumtemperatur von 25 °C und einer relativen Luftfeuchtigkeit von 80 Prozent
über 50 Jahre lang Archivierungssicherheit.”
[B]meaning[/B]… only for a room temperature of 25 °C and relative humidity of 80%
the save archiving is 50 years.

http://www.tuvdotcom.com/quality_marks/0000000050?locale=en

unfortunately, it’s indeed only promotion jabbering.

Yeah, exactly what I thought too.

I find it interesting that more and more the Fu***** TÃœV appears at such sites. :smiley:

[QUOTE=memory;2619987]that “test” :rolleyes: [U][B]for[/B] panasonic[/U] :bigsmile: is a very big joke.

they tested only one important point as opposed to the "independent determination"
results of three german computer technical and product testing journals.

[B]meaning[/B]… only for a room temperature of 25 °C and relative humidity of 80%
the save archiving is 50 years.

unfortunately, it’s indeed only promotion jabbering.[/QUOTE]
We all know that you need to be wary of claims made in advertising. But I can tell you are not well acquainted with marketing/advertising yourself. You are not nearly cynical enough. What is NOT being advertised is often far more informative than what is being advertised in determining which product is best. Panasonic and TDK(FTI) are willing to talk about the results of accelerated aging tests on their media. Do you not realize that the marketing departments of other manufacturers would be quick to do so as well if their results were comparable or better?

You have basically proven that Panasonic and TDK/FTI are not guilty of “promotion jabbering” with your “independent” test results :rolleyes:. They are rated among the top 3 in the tests you seem to prefer. The manufacturers that did poorly in that test aren’t advertising their longevity. See any connection?

I don’t know what kind of conditions you are living in, but my house remains well within the 25C/80%RH that they advise for 50 year longevity :confused: .

Will they last 50 years or more? Of course I don’t know, and it may well be less. Is professional testing of value in accessing product quality along with personal experience and the experiences of as many others as you can find?

mmm…Yes

that’s very easy. :bigsmile:

maybe i’m wrong but i have the feeling some (corporates, manufacturer…) will start a synthetical hype for blu-ray blanks.
but at the momend i think bd-r aren’t trustful like known good cd/dvd blanks that showes some independent tests. bd-r need some development work to be a trustful media for the future.

the most consumers don’t think about what they are buying and at the end really get.

my attitude is hope for the best (=more fair play regarding of the past of crap cd/dvd business/crap blanks=(bad) falling sales) and plan for the worst (bd-r = don’t record/archive important data).
furthermore i will save my important data to some reliable cd and dvd blanks with them i have had good experiences.

of course it’s up to you to make your own decisions. :cool:

[QUOTE=memory;2620107]that’s very easy. :bigsmile:

maybe i’m wrong but i have the feeling some (corporates, manufacturer…) will start a synthetical hype for blu-ray blanks.
but at the momend i think bd-r aren’t trustful like known good cd/dvd blanks that showes some independent tests. bd-r need some development work to be a trustful media for the future.

the most consumers don’t think about what they are buying and at the end really get.

my attitude is hope for the best (=more fair play regarding of the past of crap cd/dvd business/crap blanks=(bad) falling sales) and plan for the worst (bd-r = don’t record/archive important data).
furthermore i will save my important data to some reliable cd and dvd blanks with them i have had good experiences.

of course it’s up to you to make your own decisions. :cool:[/QUOTE]
I don’t think its about right and wrong. I am just as worried as you about choosing the best media. If you have no need yet for the capacity of Bluray for video or data, by all means stick with what you feel confident in :iagree:.

When I found the need to get into Bluray, my attitude was to research EVERYTHING to death :). Materials technology, manufacturing technology, company reputation and attitude, professional testing, personal testing, experiences of others around the forums and in the professional duplication business, and of course my Ouija board :eek::bigsmile:.

But as you say, while I do have a reasonable level of confidence in my choices, you still have to hope for the best. Once in a while that Ouija board is wrong :).