Are All Verbatim Dual Layer Garbage or Just The Ones I End Up With?

Last year when I decided to back up my Bugs and Futurama disks, chose Verbatim DL due to shining reviews here and elsewhere. Big mistake. 90% of them going bad after only 1 year. They played fine right after burning, but now do not play. These were ordered from Newegg at two seperate times and I’m pretty sure they were all MIS. I’m really ticked off. How do I go about getting my money back from making the mistake of using this trash?

Disks were burned on a DW1650 and like I said played and scanned fine right off the bat. Properly stored and all that. They all seem to have a PV6… code inscribed on them. Here are a few scans. Most don’t even make it to the end.

Not all of them go bad. In fact, I haven’t had any go bad from my small stock of Verbatim DL media.

Have you tried playing them? Sometimes disks that scan poorly will play perfectly well.

And here’s a scan from a disk burned Oct. 2005 for your viewing pleasure.

Also, you seem to be scanning them at maximum speed [and some of these BenQ drives happily rip at a pretty fast speed]. Although this will show whether or not your disc has been burned well enough for ripping, it may not completely reflect playback in the average player. Slow the scan down, try again, and test em out in the real world. You may like what you see. :wink:

All my BenQ are not good at MKM001 DL burning.

I’d also like to know if the original poster has actually played them. He says they don’t play anymore but I am not sure if he’s actually used them in a stand alone player.

As others have said, scanning a DL media @ max speed is not only too fast, it’s absolutely ridiculous. The BenQ probably won’t even transfer rate test it that fast (I think) so forcing a 16x scan on DL is only going to result in a bad scan. If I scan @ 12x in my liteon the results are also ridiculously out of spec showing a solid wall of 3PIF throughout the disc.

I recommend 8x scanning maximum for DL.

ALSO - cdspeed 4.7.7.5 does not scan past the layer break for me. It also shows errors that are not there. I resort to using cdspeed 4.7.7.0 and it shows no errors at the layer break and does not stop the scan halfway through.

The reason I found they were bad is that they would not play on my DVD player. I’m finding about 3/4 discs I burned a year ago to be bad. I’ve never bought two cake boxes at a time, these were all from newegg purchased within a few months of each other about a year ago.

More bad scans, I’ve got plenty of them.http://club.cdfreaks.com/images/smilies/4/angry.gif
:a

And more bad scans.http://club.cdfreaks.com/images/smilies/4/angry.gif
:a. I’ve scanned 15 disks from at least two seperate purchases, 9 of them are bad.

As was suggested earlier, scan them at 8x not Maximum speed.

If your DVD player is having problems playing discs that it could previously play, degradation of the media isn’t the only possible explanation; it’s also possible that your DVD player is dying.

If you haven’t already done so, I suggest you try how your DVD players handle other discs to determine if it’s more likely to be a media problem or a DVD player problem.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1983353]If your DVD player is having problems playing discs that it could previously play, degradation of the media isn’t the only possible explanation; it’s also possible that your DVD player is dying.

If you haven’t already done so, I suggest you try how your DVD players handle other discs to determine if it’s more likely to be a media problem or a DVD player problem.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I’ve had players that got old and started playing less discs. In fact, after they got older the first discs they started having problems with were DL media and RW media. Due to the low reflectivity.

I ask you listen to people here and scan @ 8x like everyone is saying. Also try playing them on a different stand alone player. Stop blaming verbatim until you are absolutely 100% sure they’re the problem.

I rescanned a bunch and mostly they improved into the 90s and mid 80s. A few did not, but almost all did, so I’m less upset now. Here is one that still scans poorly, but it does play.

As far as playing, they are eccentric. The BUGS dvds almost always skip the menu and go straight towards playing an episode. Also, there is about a 5 second delay between episodes ending and starting. The FUTURAMA disks, most of them cannot play the episode that is at the layer break. The menu comes up fine and all the other episodes play. I used RIPIT4ME and IMGBURN on these, was getting unplayable disks with NERO.

I used Verbatim DL for some time and they were really good, but I heard there is some of them made by some factories (e.g. Ritek) that gives problems in burning, playing and after a while don’t work anymore.

[QUOTE=CopperTomato;1984247]I used Verbatim DL for some time and they were really good, but I heard there is some of them [B]made by some factories (e.g. Ritek)[/B] that gives problems in burning, playing and after a while don’t work anymore.[/QUOTE]

:disagree:

Made In India by MBI with the same MKM 001 code

Made In India by MBI with the same MKM 001 code[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure all of my older ones are MIS from newegg. I did get a batch recently that I did not check the wrapper. Is there any way to tell from the code if they are India?

Looks like newegg retail version is now Made in India, 20 for $25 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130008

Higher speed OEMs appear to still be Singapore as of 1/12/2008. 15 for $26:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130029

Ahh the slow speed scan shows less issues near the layer break. Looks like you do have some bad burns though if you have more like that one you just posted. The chunks of PIF would cause problems in a number of DVD players. However, if some of your other scans a fair bit better, I would start looking @ the DVD player. As I said earlier, my aging DVD player refused to play DL after a while. My old PS2 also refuses to play DL media.

Try one of the better scanning discs in a friends player or another player you have around and see if it causes problems.

My advice would be to either:

A: Boycott using DL since it’s too hard for many burners to burn well and players to read easily.

B: Get a new stronger DVD player, Pioneer DVD players are meant to be quite good readers.

You aren’t likely to get good results with other brands. I’ve used other DL brands that can scan well, but still have playback problems.

You can post the hub code of the discs here - they can indicate where the disc was made. It’s on the inner circle of the disc and is small+ hard to read.