Are all dvd manufacturers becoming worse?

vbimport

Hello.

Havent been here a long time ago, but nevermind.
I’ve used thousands cd dvds etc… in my life, almost over a year ago I stopped due to good prices of hdd storage option.
Cause of high prizes after Thailand thing i moved to dvd storage option once again, and what i see - the same dvds (for example 3x100 i bought now : maxell (ritekf1), verbatim (mcc 03rg20) and emtec (mbi 01rg40)) which i was happy to use in the past with very very good results now became a crap.
I have 5 dvd burners which i didnt changed, always with newest bios. I checked everyone with all of these dvds a few times. I see red color! Many! I’m getting CRC errors - on Verbatim!
What I see - only one dvd burner can write them all with correct way, but with worse results i remember from a year ago and so…

The list of dvd burners i have used:
LiteON iHAS324 B AL1B
LiteON iHAP122 W LL06
LG GH22LP20 2.00
LG GH24NS50 XP02
Samsung SH-S223C SB07
and my LG x8 laptop burner, but nvm.

Conclusion: You have to choose recorder for specific brand/MID.
Conclusion2: You have to change writer to a newest model on market, because older recorders with dvd’s being manufactured now are getting errors!

Are you share my opinion? Cause I’m much shocked and dont know wtf is going on.

The results:

More

And more

sorry for amount of imgs, but it was necessary.
Conclusion3:
LG GH22LP20
emtec ok, maxell bad, verbatim = crc
LG GH24NS50
emtec bad/fine, verbatim - even if 16x is marked it goes 24x and crc, maxell bad
LiTEON iHAP122 doesnt matter which one after one max two succesfull burned dvdsbuffor drops and we have 1.5x speed dont know why

LiTEON iHAS324 - PERFECT
SAMSUNG SHS223C - ALSO PERFECT

SO WHO’S TO BLAME, IS THIS WORLD GOING TO SH… AND EVERYTHING WITH IT?
Newer writer = better results, i ask why!
There was no such a thing back then…

Please share your opinion, and whats the best choice of writer and discs for nowadays

Cheers

DVDs aren’t as good as they used to be, yes.

But [from my viewpoint] when an LG drive hates a batch of media or a certain MID, it HATES the media. LG drives also frequently dislike low-quality media (even Ritek, Prodisc, CMC, MBI count as low-quality here). Also also, some LG drives also seem to be far more temperamental than others. Your LG drives may be the bad ones that would love only TY media at 8x.

As for the iHAPxxx W…

…but you’re also scanning at 16x. Granted, as you see, a good burn will look good even at that scanning speed, but I’d have to see if the LiteOn drives could not read the LG burns; it looks like they should have trouble.

DVDs aren’t as good as they used to be, yes.

So i was right = everything is going to sh… :wink:

This, not the other LG burned for few years the same MID’s! (gh22lp20 ide yet non sata) and now it changed!
So its not the fault of LG but the manufacturers!

I cant use IHAP cause it burns one/few discs ok and then there goes problem with buffer dont know why it goes 1.5x speed weird.

Now i will burn them all on samsung and check everyone with scanning of quality or verify with nero, cause I cant trust them no more.
Back then i burned Verbatims and I never had a CRC, never lost time for quality scans etc. It was quality !

Yes, i always have scanned x16 cause slower speed was unnecessary = i never had red, even yellow color.

What MID you prefer and writer for these days?
I will have change my favorites probably, and dont know if i will not have to back to hdd storage option cause of this. :frowning:

I’m sick of non-quality things - everything becoming worse, so where the hell is the progress.

have a look at http://club.myce.com/f76/ and you will find some good and very good blanks.

[QUOTE=Albert;2631380]DVDs aren’t as good as they used to be, yes.

But [from my viewpoint] when an LG drive hates a batch of media or a certain MID, it HATES the media. LG drives also frequently dislike low-quality media (even Ritek, Prodisc, CMC, MBI count as low-quality here).[/quote]

Agreed, LGs can be fussy devils! Although I beg to differ on the MBIL thing, my older LG’s have always loved the stuff :wink:

Also also, some LG drives also seem to be far more temperamental than others. Your LG drives may be the bad ones that would love only TY media at 8x.

:iagree:…I have one such drive, can’t recall the model offhand though. It’s one of the GH22 flavours.

…but you’re also scanning at 16x. Granted, as you see, a good burn will look good even at that scanning speed, but I’d have to see if the LiteOn drives could not read the LG burns; it looks like they should have trouble.

:iagree:…also, I wonder if the data could be read back to the HDD using one of those LG’s? I also wonder what a TRT would look like, also with the LG drives.

As far as MIDs go, I use MCC004 and various different TY MIDs for backup/archives. Works for me… :slight_smile:

Agreed, LGs can be fussy devils!

Well, I disagree, I used gh22lp20 over years (3 or even 4) and it was great, the rumor is that it dont do quality tests, because it burn so good, and it was true, liteon was worse for me than lg over last few years, well, where are the times of teac x4…:wink:

MBIL

Whats does that stands for?

…also, I wonder if the data could be read back to the HDD using one of those LG’s?

If u see red over 20-30 it can still be readable in most of times, but sometimes not, over this definately no, doesnt matter which drive.

As far as MIDs go, I use MCC004 and various different TY MIDs for backup/archives. Works for me…

Yes I had too. But its for DVD+R, I’m using DVD-R (in past only +, now only - cause of few mb’s more)

Below I did tests of LG which is built in my laptop (unfortunately its some rare model, i have not found any fw updates to this one.

LG GT32N (HL-DT-ST of course) - its in my Acer’s laptop.
Also weird thing - it doesnt show/support showing level of buffer during writing? Is that correct / has to be?

It writes almost perfectly all of these emtec/verbatim/maxell - x8 of course.
BTW. Are there any possible ways to have x16 on laptop internal external - doesnt matter, x8 is too slow for me. I’d looked for this and havent found, probably it doesnt exist?

Thanks for answers, greetings

[QUOTE=pcus3r;2631485]the rumor is that it dont do quality tests, because it burn so good[/QUOTE]
If they actually trusted their product they would have implemented quality tests. In fact there’s some software called LG Optical Disc Doctor that can be used with recent models, but it’s apparently LG internal only and has not been made public.

There are some full size external burners that you can use with laptops but they’re huge, and quite uncommon nowadays.

Fair point - it’s what works for you that’s important :iagree:

I haven’t used my own GH22 for everyday use (just did a whole bunch of burns on different MIDs to test it out), so can’t really comment on that apart from the fact that my best burns on TY seem to be at 4x!
However, I’ve had a few other LG models before that, and I love them. My external GSA-E10N is still regularly used after 6 years :wink:

Whats does that stands for?

Moser Baer India Limited. Both my LG drives and my Samsung drives love it. :wink:

It writes almost perfectly all of these emtec/verbatim/maxell - x8 of course.
BTW. Are there any possible ways to have x16 on laptop internal external - doesnt matter, x8 is too slow for me. I’d looked for this and havent found, probably it doesnt exist?

Thanks for answers, greetings

You might be better off with an external drive if you want 16x. :wink:

Oh Limited.
If it was written MBI I’d know what it stands for haha.
And limited is what? better?

You might be better off with an external drive if you want 16x.

The problem is I haven’t found such a drive!
Could you give me some of examples of external’s with usb (I have usb 2.0 in my laptop, but transfer level 48mb/s should’nt be a problem for 16x burn which is about 20-25mb/s needed) cause i have not found such a drive yet, all even new for usb are 8x. Size does not matter - i use it and even laptop mostly at home.

As I said there are some external DVD burners that can do 16x and more. These come with an external power supply unit. Examples: Samsung SE-S224Q, LG GE24NU21, LG GE20LU10, LiteOn eHAU424.

Thanks. Which do u prefer or have used? I’d think newer = better, which was released as the last one of this or some different even?

Of course I’d take the LiteOn. It is the most powerful and has quality testing capabilities.

[QUOTE=pcus3r;2631512]Oh Limited.
If it was written MBI I’d know what it stands for haha.
And limited is what? better?[/quote]

Hehe, sorry about that - some of us say MBI, others MBIL. It’s all Moser Baer India though, with Limited on the end or not. :slight_smile:

The problem is I haven’t found such a drive!
Could you give me some of examples of external’s with usb (I have usb 2.0 in my laptop, but transfer level 48mb/s should’nt be a problem for 16x burn which is about 20-25mb/s needed) cause i have not found such a drive yet, all even new for usb are 8x. Size does not matter - i use it and even laptop mostly at home.

I have an external capable of 16x, but it’s the older drive I mentioned above (the LG GSA-E10N). Seems the only ones I’ve seen recently are indeed the slim 8x variety, though as Evilboy points out, 16x externals do still exist. :slight_smile:

Check if your Verbatims are Made in China. If so, burn them with your Liteon with forced HyperTuning (you use SmartBurn to change the drive settings). After a few burns the drive will learn how to burn right (I hope so).

You can also check for other kinds of media (printable, etc.) that are not Made in China. I have seen printable Made in India and coloured discs Made in Taiwan (both +R, however).