Are 22x burners a stupid idea?

vbimport

There are a few 22x DVD burners around now that can burn at 22x. I have never seen one yet that can burn with good quality at that speed.

Are the burner makers just playing the numbers game or can we expect good quality 22x burns in the near future?

There must be other ways to get fast burns apart from just bumping up the burning speed every year. :confused:

Stupid idea? No, because the brand with the highest “X” number will sell the mostest drives to the cluelesstest users. :doh:

Terrible idea? Yes, because ever increasing burn speed on blank media, that is getting less consistent due to cost cutting, is a recipe for disaster.

Pioneer is on to something with their Optimal Writing Speed Utility for the 116/216 series drives, although their implementation may not be perfect.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2177267]Stupid idea? No, because the brand with the highest “X” number will sell the mostest drives to the cluelesstest users. :doh:

Terrible idea? Yes, because ever increasing burn speed on blank media, that is getting less consistent due to cost cutting, is a recipe for disaster.

Pioneer is on to something with their Optimal Writing Speed Utility for the 116/216 series drives, although their implementation may not be perfect.[/QUOTE]

I have to say I agree with all that :iagree:

I have three 20x drives and two 18x drives installed currently, but very very rarely do I even go close to those speeds.

If drive speeds had stopped at 16x, I would have been perfectly happy. :slight_smile:

Hi Bunny, I think 22X burners are just a fad, they dont even make 22X media yet. These burners are fun for people like me, and I have more burners than I can use, but I bought the 22X LG anyway, to my surprise it burns only a few media codes at 22X and I get the best results with TYG03 media. I would love to see what the other members think.

@ Bunny,

It should be noted that there is absolutely no DVD Media that is certified faster than 16x speed so don’t be snickered into the DVD Drive Manufacture advertisement propaganda about Media Burning speeds faster than 16x speed. Also the Burning time difference between Burning at 16x speed verses 22x speed is only a couple of seconds. Always go for quality of the Burning results over the speed of the Burn.

Regards,
bjkg

For reviews on 22X writers I find only 2 or 3 MID will burn at 22X and the quality scans are usually on the not so favorable side.

When burning for my own personal needs I find burning at half the rated speed of the discs is a sound practice with the exception of a few media which I burn at 12X. But thats just me.

I’m happy and satisfied with my 8x burns.

22x no bang for the buck as they use to say.

[QUOTE=Bunny;2177254]There must be other ways to get fast burns apart from just bumping up the burning speed every year. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes using P-CAV would be a good starting point, but i guess that it wont sell as much as a 22x/24x/26x burner :bigsmile:.

22x burning is completely pointless. It gives bad burning quality most of the time at the end of the discs. It is just a stupid marketing gag, nobody actually needs it!