Are 16x DVD+/-R discs compatible with an 8X burner?

vbimport

Hi.

I have an older Lite-on DVDRW-811S burner. I got some 16x media and it only offers it to burn at 1x. I know this is an 8x burner. Isn’t the 16x media available today backward compatible. I only expect it to burn at 8x not faster. I finally used up all my my 8x media and it is hard to find. :sad:

Thanks.

Dashman

Lite-on DVDRW-811S burner
Firmware: HS0R

You have the latest firmware according to lite-on site. You may have to go to meritline or other online venders to see if they have 8X media. You don’t say what media your using?? And what programs and operating system your using. Your dvdrw is at least 4 years old and it may be time to upgrage to a new one or try verbatin or any taiyo yuden dvds. The post below has a good site to buy media.

Yes, you will be able to use your burner with 16x media. However, you can still get lots of high quality 8x media online.

i.e. if you are in the US:
http://www.shop4tech.com/item5167.html

[QUOTE=dashman;2015535]Hi.

I have an older Lite-on DVDRW-811S burner. I got some 16x media and it only offers it to burn at 1x. I know this is an 8x burner. [B]Isn’t the 16x media available today backward compatible[/B]. I only expect it to burn at 8x not faster. I finally used up all my my 8x media and it is hard to find. :sad:

Thanks.

Dashman

Lite-on DVDRW-811S burner
Firmware: HS0R[/QUOTE]

backward compatible :confused:

If you want some good 8x media, look at online shops like rima.com and supermediastore.com for Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks. They will burn well in virtually any drive. I’ve used them in an old NEC 1300a whose top speed is 4x.

Not the cheapest media, but really nice quality.

Hi dashman, welcome to the forum!

In order for your 16x media to be compatible (i.e. offer relevant burn speeds up to 8x), it must be included in the drive’s firmware. You can check the supported MID (Media or Manufacturer ID)-codes in MS0R with OmniPatcher. At first glance, I don’t see any 16x media listed in there (even 8x support isn’t complete).

You can always “import” your 16x discs’ MID into the firmware with OmniPatcher (just overwrite an unused MID) and then try to burn it with the equivalent 8x MID strategy (or any other strategy for that matter, but this might be your first choice). For example, import MCC004 (16x Verbatim) and assign it the MCC003 (8x Verbatim) strategy.

This is if you want to get into it, the safer and less involved options would be buying 8x rated media or buying a new burner, as already suggested.

Thanks all for responding.and the links. I was hoping it would be workable to use the commonplace 16x discs. It surprises me since they are labled up to 16x that they cannot be used on a 8x burner. My 1x,2x and 4x discs all worked fine. I’ll likely get a new burner on sale rather than pay the expense of 8x media. In the long run that seems a better idea. Maybe I’ll get a new new computer with a newer drive in it since the box around my litey is older than it!:bigsmile:

Dashman