[Archival] Taiyo Yuden TYG02(8x) vs TYG03(16x)

I’ve recently purchased some TYG02 DVD-Rs and was wondering if there are any known differences between 8x and 16x media(concerning archival use).
Burn speeds should be negated since i always burn at the lowest possible speed(which is 4x for my burner).
Logically i would expect that the 16x media be slightly better since it was designed to tolerate/accept higher speeds, thus if used at a much lower speed, would have better results(as with many other things). But i can also see why it could be the other way around, as with being designed to burn at higher speeds, may not do as good at lower speeds.
The price difference is 10% if anyone is wondering.

From what I’ve seen and read the 8x discs should burn better at 4x but that’s from my experience with Verbatims. Really your results might be better at 8x than at 4x.

Burning at the lowest speed doesn’t necessarily give the best results. TYG02@8x is pretty darn good on most burners these days.

Hi LocrEpinS, welcome to CDFreaks :slight_smile:

I agree with Two Degrees, burning at 8x is better for TYG02 in my personal experiences :slight_smile: - with 16x media, 8x or 12x are the best overall burning speed in my experience with almost all 16x media, as I have least problems at those speeds :slight_smile:

Both TYG03 and TYG02 are good discs to use for archival use, but always make 2 or more copies of each backup that you consider to be important on at least two different media types (Verbatim is the best option for the second backup disc in my experience)

Yes most 8x media burns well @ 8x and most 16x media also burns well @ 8x and also usually 12x.

As for TYG02 VS TYG03. Hard choice since many think TYG02 is better because it scans very well in home made quality tests. But TYG03 can also scan well if you get the right batch, plus I’m fairly sure that TYG03 has a better reflectivity level than TYG02, so it’s probably more compatible with fussy players.

It’s really up to you. I have had better experiences with TYG02, but then I have also used many more G02 than I have G03.

[B]LocrEpinS:[/B]

Dependant on the pricing difference between TY & Verbatim media, it maybe better to use one of each type of 16x Verbatim media rather than TY for archival. TY build quality is slightly suspect these days & I would recommend Verbatim rather than TY.

Then again Verbatim is not always top quality as well…
But that’s just mass production.

I would go for the best bonded one :slight_smile:
Check bonding befor ussing TY for archiving. If they screwed up the bonding do not use them for important data.
However assuming both are just as good bonded then there still is the following.
Is your drive relative old then go with TYG02 because the standard strategy is better optimised for it. With newer drives it shouldn’t matter.

Now about speed. THis is going to depend on your burner probably the optimal for this media is 4x or 8x (that counts for both the 16x and 8x media)

I was not referring to bonding (which is difficult for me to non-destructively detect), but other build quality issues I have noticed with T03/TYG02 since late 2005. T02 is still good tho :slight_smile:

That sounds like a recommendation for TYG03, since it doesn’t have the bonding problems that TYG02 did. :cool:

TYG02 might scan better, but TYG03 is better in every other way.

Oh crp. So sorry about not replying for so long(also noticed i’m a month late…).
I always depend solely on email notifications in every forum i use, and was sure i subscribed to the thread i started(junk email?) :confused:.

That aside, here goes the huge multi-quote reply.

Almost all of what i burn are for backup purposes(mostly just moderately important media).
Prior to trying out TY discs i’ve usually found burning at the lowest speed works well. Guess i’ll start using 8x on my next scheduled(when my hdds are near full) backup. Also, thx for the warm welcome :).

Hmm, TYG03 having better compatibility seems like a good enough reason to get them.
Printability has never been a concern for me, so i guess it wouldn’t really matter all that much.

Hmm, interesting.
I’ve been recommended Verbatim discs by some friends and was intending to buy them, but saw some TY discs so i couldn’t resist. If i remember correctly the VB ones are slightly cheaper.
The ones i bought from the store(MSY) looked like they’ve been there for a while, they even have an odd residue pattern when u blow onto them(brings up the question of what semi-constant direct indoor lighting and possible medium levels of humidity do to blank discs…).

I was not referring to bonding (which is difficult for me to non-destructively detect), but other build quality issues I have noticed with T03/TYG02 since late 2005. T02 is still good tho :)[/QUOTE]I’ve read a bit into effects of bad disc bonding but never really found anywhere explaining how exactly you test such a thing.

That sounds like a recommendation for TYG03, since it doesn’t have the bonding problems that TYG02 did. :cool:

TYG02 might scan better, but TYG03 is better in every other way.[/QUOTE]Guess i know what the next pack i buy will be xD.

A bit off-topic, but i find it odd that the TYG02 discs i bought give me a quality score(in nero cd-dvd) of ~75(or even 0 sometimes…). I’m fairly sure they’re legit discs and did a bit of verifying myself just to be sure(only a bit though).
Not to mention a friend complaining it didn’t play on 2 dvd-players, so in the end i tested a few other manufacturers and found it gave pretty similar results, probably affording the cause to the old burner.

Again, thx for all the replies. I’ll be sure to double-check my subscriptions next time :bigsmile:.