AR-230 to LVW-5001 Firmware Woes

Hello all. This is my first post to the board, but I’ve been reading it for the past couple of days intently and haven’t seen anyone else post with this problem.

Two days ago I tried to upgrade my Gateway AR-230 to the latest firmware to hopefully cure a couple of reliability problems. Mainly, timed recordings being cut off before they finish and occasionally, when record is started (not timed), the recorder would simply stop for no apparent reason.

Went to the Gateway site (which by the way doesn’t carry this device any longer) found the updated firmware, downloaded and try to install. No matter what I did, it was no use, it would recognize the firmware. After a google search, I came upon a thread on this board that mentioned that the AR-230 was actually an LVW-5001 rebranded. I then proceed to d/l the 1180 firmware and drive upgrade firmware from the Lite-On site, burned it on to a CD-RW and voila both firmware upgrades took without a problem and rebranded the screen to the Lite-On screen

Now here’s the problems I noticed (actually my wife did since she timer records about 5 different shows every day). The 16X FF is not as fast as it was prior to the upgrade. I couldn’t tell, but she uses the thing every night to watch her shows and she says she notices the difference. And since upgrading it the day before yesterday, it failed to record two of the five shows, much to her dismay (and mine!). :frowning: It failed the first night, recorded all five the second night, then failed the same two shows the third night.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, is there a solution to remedy this? I have been banished to the couch for “messing with the recorder” (her words) and must find a solution before Monday, when here shows are on again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

Did you mean to say it would not recognize the fw? You could try burning it to another cd and if the Gateway is like the 5005 do a system restore to defaults with the cd in the tray. Doing this on the 5005 helps it to recognize the fw cd.

GoodLuck

It didn’t recognize the Gateway firmware, but it did recognize the Lite-On LVW-5001 firmware version 1180 right away and upgraded it just fine. Also, the AR-230, in it’s original state does not have a restore defaults in the settings, but that’s irrelevant at this point. The problems I’m having are after upgrading to the latest firmware, I seem to have a slower 16X FF speed and it seems to “forget” to record certain items that are set with the timer record programming. Anybody have any idea why this is and if there is a solution?

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Update to my update firmware woes. Okay so the 16X F.F. speed is not as fast as it used to be. I guess it’s something that can be lived with. The problem that still persists is in the Timer programming. We have shows that we record every week, on a daily basis. After the shows are recorded that day, the programming area shows OK for that particular show. However, not all the programmed shows on the list will record. It might do the first one, then skip the second one, then do the third and fourth, than skip the fifth one. None of the programmed times are overlapping either. I found that the only way it consistently records everything listed is if I go to each entry and change it from OK to Ready. I haven’t had one program skip since I began doing it that way. But obviously there will be times when I’m not able to change it from OK to Ready. This never happened before upgrading to the latest firmware. Anyone have any suggestions about this? Thanks again.

I have a gateway ar-230 that I have been trying to update the firmware on.
Gateway will not help me because they say it is out of warranty. I use the gateway firmware update 1086… put the disc in and the machine says file and I don’t ever get the machine to load this.
Tried to use a lite-on update and it says my serial number is wrong…
my ar-230 is serial xxxxxx-1139-f2s8
What do I try next?