Application not working in XP

vbimport

I have Stedman's v.3.d (medical dict) installed in my XP system for like 3 months now.

Today, for no obvious reason (didn't install anything) it stopped working. Whenever i execute it, it gives me this error:

SEMDWIN caused a general protection fault in module SEMDWIN.exe at 0002:0851

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, even restored the system 2 weeks back, problem is not solved.

I would normally say it's a compatability issue (the program is relatively old and there are no free updates) but it did work just fine with XP for like 3 months and i find it kind of odd that this happened now. It's a very good dictionnary and need it on a daily basis

Any suggestions?

Did you try changing the compatibility mode to Win95, 98/Me or so.

That works in many cases.

Could be because of a virus (If you are a medico, that might perhaps indicate where you picked it up :stuck_out_tongue: )

1. Try scanning with any antivirus package

2. Is the app time-bombed or shareware? You might have to uninstall, clean the registry of any related entries and then reboot and reinstall.

3. A dll might have been corrupted for some reason. Reinstalling the app is easier than trying to figure out the cause.

Originally posted by darshanjog
[B]Did you try changing the compatibility mode to Win95, 98/Me or so.

That works in many cases. [/B]
Yep i did - didn’t work out (does it actually work? how can XP emulate the environment of Me or 98?)

And i did try to install/uninstall the software (didn’t check the registry though, will do now). It came with the dictionnary (80$) - maybe i should try contacting the publisher or something.

There’s no reason why a virus would go specifically after the dict (well i don’t think it could be so clever - viruses are usually dumb :slight_smile: ) my system is clean anyways according to Mr Norton

Originally posted by Hemispasm
how can XP emulate the environment of Me or 98?)

It blocks or substitutes various functions and API’s. It also performs some tweaks of various types to trick the app into thinking it’s in the appropriate environment.

There’s a thing called QFixApp in the application compatibility toolkit (in the support directory of your XP CD). QFixApp will allow you to select exactly which functions to “patch” for compatibility.

When you install ACT, it should pop up with an HTML document which provides links to fairly extensive documentation of the technologies employed.

BTW, I’m not convinced that compatibility modes will help in this case. I reckon you should make another attempt at removing the app, make sure it’s all deleted and reboot - then reinstall.

Good luck

There’s no reason why a virus would go specifically after the dict (well i don’t think it could be so clever - viruses are usually dumb )

Too many people make the same mistake - they’re pretty smart, actually. They infect the one file that can bring systems / applications crashing down :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you downloaded the latest virus definitions for Norton AV?

Stedman’s latest version seems to be 5. Perhaps the version you have is time-bombed.

You might want to use Resplendent Registrar or a similar tool for cleaning the registry. Simplifies lot of things.

Too many people make the same mistake - they’re pretty smart, actually. They infect the one file that can bring systems / applications crashing down
Well it was a kind of joke - was referring to the possibility that it would act as real viruses and go after the medical dict :wink:

Yep i know that the current version is 5. Can’t update though. Checked the registry but there’s nothing there. I’ll probably mail them about it.

You’ve probably tried this, but just in case you haven’t - search the registry on both the product name and then the manufacturer’s name. In case you have the time and the inclination, you might want to try a clean boot too.

Good luck.

Originally posted by burnproof
[B]You’ve probably tried this, but just in case you haven’t - search the registry on both the product name and then the manufacturer’s name. In case you have the time and the inclination, you might want to try a clean boot too.

Good luck. [/B]
Yep i did try that. No luck though. Thanx anyways