Apple unveils online music store, download songs for 99 cents

vbimport

I just posted the article Apple unveils online music store, download songs for 99 cents.

As expected Apple has launched their
online iTunes music store yesterday. There were many rumours that Apple
would lauch such a service but they always denied it. But now the rumours…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5802-Apple-unveils-online-music-store-download-songs-for-99-cents.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5802-Apple-unveils-online-music-store-download-songs-for-99-cents.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

…or I could download the songs for nothing from KaZaA…let me see, $10 for ten tracks or $0 for ten tracks…the choice is yours…

99¢ for 1 song, Why dont i just go to the store and buy the actual cd, which has extra features, isnt protected, sounds better, and wont consume my valuable bandwidth.

99 cents is a bit high but to say why not just download it for free is downright despicable. They are trying to workout a system of legality. I love downloading stuff for free but it’s also a hassle. Nothing is ever reliable about the process. If a company could come up with like 25 cents non secured downloads of any song I wanted, I would join. Maybe 5.00 per movie non secured Divx would be fine too.
[edited by bokkasrealm on 29.04.2003 21:19]

Oh come on people. 99c amounts to VERY little at all, you would have to be pretty miserly to call that expensive. Well, it is nice to see that the service has been integrated into iTunes. As for the songs being non-secured, I can see why they want to put even basic security on the song, but the price should not cause a problem. As for 5c per movie unsecured DivX, err… no. These movies cost MILLIONS to make, I am quite happy to pay £10 (about 15 dollars) for a movie, especially with all the bonus features that are now available for free. However, given the poor DivX quality (relative to a DVD I mean), maybe £7 would be a better bet. Remember, the distributing company also have to pay a lot for the bandwidth they use to deliver the media. Sometimes I just think that some CDFreaks’ members are utterly clueless about the shear effort involved in bringing a song / movie / game to the stores. Regardless of whether the artist nicked the lyrics , music or if they are just a talentless boyband, it still takes hundreads of hours to get just one song out. Movies are far more challenging. The entertainment industry has to make a living after all [remember, if you refuse to pay $5 for a CD, it is not only the RIAA that get nothing, but the artist as well]

I think this is exactly the right move. No subscription (yeah) and a reasonable price per song. Very few restrictions, you can only play the file on 3 PC’s, but hell, it allows you to burn cd’s, and then you can just rip it again to MP3 if you want. This is what the online stores need to look like, and now that one has gone this way, hopefully competition will kick in and hopefully you will see 25 cents, 50 cents a song. I am very happy they are moving this direction.

I think this is exactly the right move. No subscription (yeah) and a reasonable price per song. Very few restrictions, you can only play the file on 3 PC’s, but hell, it allows you to burn cd’s, and then you can just rip it again to MP3 if you want. Re-rip an mp3? How much crappier should it sound? By the way, a lot of albums are being made with Protools these days and dont cost anything to make at all. I agree that movies cost a lot of money to make but this is largely to due with the actors. Mel Gibson demands 30 mill or higher plus a cut of the box office. I am completely happy with DVD prices but if someone’s feeding me a divx movies, I better get it at a discount.

99 cents? whats so revolutiononary about that? 10.00 a month unlimited is the way to go. what a pain in the ass, seperate purchases for every time you want something. big deal

A buck per song is not a good value. It works out to be just as expensive as an actual cd if you buy the whole thing track by track. Plus it is lower quality. How can they expect to convince people to buy this garbage. I’ll never use it.