Apple removes games that show Confederate flag

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Apple removes games that show Confederate flag[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/06/myce-game-confederate-flag-removed-by-apple-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Apple is actively removing games which contain the Confederate flag. The flag is frequently connected to the recent shootings in an American church. Many games about the American Civil War are no longer available in the App Store.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/apple-removes-games-that-show-confederate-flag-76503/](http://www.myce.com/news/apple-removes-games-that-show-confederate-flag-76503/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Although I’ve never flown a Confederate flag . It is never the less part of United States history .
The American Civil War was actually about a or several states right to secede from the United States . Since the United States won the war against the states that tried to secede. That means those states never did secede. Since they didn’t have the right to. They remained states of the United States even though they claimed to be the Confederate States of America.

This is from Wikipedia so take it for what it’s worth. I’m sure some of it can be verified.

A report by the Walk Free Foundation in 2013,[160] found India had the highest number of slaves, nearly 14 million, followed by China (2.9 million), Pakistan (2.1 million), Nigeria, Ethiopia, Russia, Thailand, Democratic Republic of Congo, Myanmar and Bangladesh; while the countries with the highest of proportion of slaves were Mauritania, Haiti, Pakistan, India and Nepal.[161]

In June 2013, U.S. State Department released a report on slavery, it placed Russia, China, Uzbekistan in the worst offenders category, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and Zimbabwe were also at the lowest level. List also included Algeria, Libya, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait among a total of 21 countries.

I’m betting Apple isn’t removing games with any reference to these countries that still have slavery . At least in some form.

Last I always take offense at hyphenated-Americans like in the article
"Afro-Americans" although the usual term is African-American .
To me either a person is an American without the hyphen or they are not an American.
Let’s use DoMiN8ToR’s country as an example . Do you use the term “Afro-Belgian” when referring to a black citizen of Belgium ? Do they expect you to ?
I’m betting not . How about other members . Do black people of your countries expect you to use the “Afro-”.

How would you look at me when I ask you to refer to me as a
"North American-American" ? After all North America is the continent I’m from.
The same as Africa. But then again the vast majority of black people in the USA were born here. So they would also be “North American-Americans”.
Only someone born in Africa that immigrates to the USA could correctly be called an African-American . That person could be of any race. Black , white ,etc.

To end it this is polical correctness run amuk.

The single source dictatorship is why I will never buy an iphone or ipad - sure there is jailbreaking, but that is getting harder with every release.

To use other source apps on Android, you don’t even have to root (other than for those which NEED root), you just change a setting - the “security” of a known source by default, the choice to go elsewhere if you want.

Google play will not allow apps that violate their policies, such as a youtube downloader - but due to the open nature of Android, there is not one single authority that can ban an app.

From Cholla Last I always take offense at hyphenated-Americans like in the article
To me either a person is an American without the hyphen or they are not an American.
Let’s use DoMiN8ToR’s country as an example . Do you use the term “Afro-Belgian” when referring to a black citizen of Belgium ? Do they expect you to ?
I’m betting not . How about other members . Do black people of your countries expect you to use the “Afro-”.

Cholla, I have never agreed with some one as much as I agree with you on this subject. I understand being proud of your roots. But to me it should be I AM AN AMERICAN WITH AFRICAN ROOTS, OR INDIA ROOTS OR WHAT EVER. if you are born here then be proud of it first. and I bet if you look into their roots you will find more then African or india or spainish blood mixed in. I do do Genealogy and trace my roots back to 1400’s and believe me there is a lot more then just one blood line. Anyway I agree with you If anyone really cares

Marty

[QUOTE=cholla;2755956]Although I’ve never flown a Confederate flag . It is never the less part of United States history .
The American Civil War was actually about a or several states right to secede from the United States . Since the United States won the war against the states that tried to secede. That means those states never did secede. Since they didn’t have the right to. They remained states of the United States even though they claimed to be the Confederate States of America.

This is from Wikipedia so take it for what it’s worth. I’m sure some of it can be verified.

Quote:
A report by the Walk Free Foundation in 2013,[160] found India had the highest number of slaves, nearly 14 million, followed by China (2.9 million), Pakistan (2.1 million), Nigeria, Ethiopia, Russia, Thailand, Democratic Republic of Congo, Myanmar and Bangladesh; while the countries with the highest of proportion of slaves were Mauritania, Haiti, Pakistan, India and Nepal.[161]

In June 2013, U.S. State Department released a report on slavery, it placed Russia, China, Uzbekistan in the worst offenders category, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and Zimbabwe were also at the lowest level. List also included Algeria, Libya, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait among a total of 21 countries.
I’m betting Apple isn’t removing games with any reference to these countries that still have slavery . At least in some form.[/QUOTE]

As for these Countries I dare anyone knowing the US Constitution to try to bring this to those Countries and see where it takes them. Before judging another Country on Slavery one must look at their own History in “HONEST TRUTH” not “ONE” sided Histories and myths and or stereotyping. The Confedrate Flag was a Rebel flag but one must not forget the “UNDERLYING” meaning it represented a connection to “Slavery” as it did. In the war the North won but as anything nothing was really gained or fixed by it so in the end No one really won or addressed the problems it created.

[QUOTE=cholla;2755956]Last I always take offense at hyphenated-Americans like in the article
To me either a person is an American without the hyphen or they are not an American.[/QUOTE]

Describing a person ethnicity is one thing using words to put others down isn’t really helping to ease the flame of tensions.

[QUOTE=cholla;2755956]Let’s use DoMiN8ToR’s country as an example . Do you use the term “Afro-Belgian” when referring to a black citizen of Belgium ? Do they expect you to ?
I’m betting not . How about other members . Do black people of your countries expect you to use the “Afro-”.[/QUOTE]

Actually the world Afro is a derogatory term to put down others not describe their ethnicity.

[QUOTE=cholla;2755956]How would you look at me when I ask you to refer to me as a
"North American-American" ? After all North America is the continent I’m from.[/QUOTE]

@Cholla not a knock on you. But unfortunately those of Euro Ancestory living in USA now all hail from Europe not North American. That’s the part that is forgotten.

[QUOTE=cholla;2755956]The same as Africa. But then again the vast majority of black people in the USA were born here. So they would also be “North American-Americans”.[/QUOTE]

That is true but someone had to bring them here for Slavery causing them to be born here.

[QUOTE=cholla;2755956]Only someone born in Africa that immigrates to the USA could correctly be called an African-American . That person could be of any race. Black , white ,etc.

To end it this is polical correctness run amuk.[/QUOTE]

As Political Correctness gone awry the Native American was the Original North Americans that live here long before the Pilgrims came over. People immigrated from everywhere not one single place though. Actually this is kinda wrong as well let’s say you came from Egypt and were not of dark skin but more like European would you call a Egyptian in American African-American-probably not? You would call them Egyptian as I would unless you know their ethnicity in Egypt and if they became US Citizens then I would called them Egyptian-Americans if that is permitted.

This is how I see things rolling out…

@ coolcolors

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2755966]Actually the world Afro is a derogatory term to put down others not describe their ethnicity. [/QUOTE]
I took the word “Afro” from the article . It’s not a term I use.
I have used it to describe a long hairstyle worn by black people.
They use it & I’ve even had a black man say to me “Don’t mess with the fro bro.”

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2755966]
@Cholla not a knock on you. But unfortunately those of Euro Ancestory living in USA now all hail from Europe not North American. That’s the part that is forgotten.[/QUOTE]
I had some of my ancestry from Europe.
From what I’ve traced from all sides my European ancestors arrived in North America in the 1600’s & 1700’s . So at what point does one reach enough generations to be a North American ?
I also have some Indian(Native American) ancestors.
Some traceable & some not. The [B]not[/B] ones are because at one time in North America it wasn’t good to be part Native American.
Since the majority of those migrating from Europe were men .
Who do you think they took as wives but Native American women.
Most of us Americans that have ancestors coming to North America before the 1850’s have more Native American ancestors than we can prove.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2755966]
That is true but someone had to bring them here for Slavery causing them to be born here. [/QUOTE]
The ones that brought them to North America were mostly Europeans .
Most were brought to North America before there was a United States .
Many of those were sold to Europeans by other African tribes that captured them. How often do you see the blame aimed in those directions.
I would need to check my history for better accuracy but IIRC sometime in the 1830’s importing new African slaves was illegal. That was just the first step in ending slavery in the USA. The US barely had a government even by 1789 (that’s when the Constitution was ratified.) So only about 40 years from then the end to slavery had started in the USA.
Better than the Europeans that held us as colonies ever did . I don’t think the USA has done bad for a new country that created a government like there had never been before. European & Roman government comparisons can only loosely be made. Now for two terms there has been a black President .

l

Personally, I can see where the Confederate flag is offensive to some people. I also believe it should not be flying on any government buildings that supposedly represent [I]all[/I] people.

Now with all the above said, the rest of this matter is just political correctness run a muck. I am seeing more and more where the oppressed are now morphing into the oppressors. All this shaming, punishing, retribution etc. is just history repeating itself only the shoe is on the other foot. I don’t see where this it going to result in anything constructive for society, in general.

Stirring up racism has become a money making proposition and a tool used by politicians to divide one group from another for political gain. Unfortunately, too many people can be easily lead around like they have mental blindfolds on them. They can’t see how they are being used for the personal gain of a few power/money hungry individuals and politicians. My hope is that one day these people will remove their blindfolds and maybe then we can make some real progress in eliminating racism. I doubt I will live to see it happen.

BTW, my comments here are in regard to the USA. It is the only country of which I have first hand knowledge regarding these matters.

Marty , I think John Wayne said it as well as I’ve ever heard & I certainly can’t do any better.

//youtu.be/q6N4zKM2cZs

[QUOTE=cholla;2755956]Although I’ve never flown a Confederate flag . It is never the less part of United States history .
…[/QUOTE]
And as with most historic artifacts it too is being relegated to museums, where it belongs…

Cholla, HE has been my hero for as long as I can remember (I’m 71) and you are right no one can or could say it better

Marty

Most people I KNOW think and say that the Civil War was fought over slavery. Actually not true. Yes it was a major focus of it, but in real fact it was fought over Taxes, Tariffs, and State rights over Federal Rights. the federal gov. wanted to abolish Slavery and the southern states said that the state rights should over ride the federal gov. rights. Slavery in the south was about 48% of the wealth in the states because of the large plantations.

http://www.historynet.com/civil-war-facts

What caused the civil war?
There were many causes of the civil war, including differences between northern and southern states on the idea of slavery, as well as trade, tariffs, and states rights

http://www.historynet.com/causes-of-the-civil-war

The Northern and Southern sections of the United States developed along different lines. The South remained a predominantly agrarian economy while the North became more and more industrialized. Different social cultures and political beliefs developed. All of this led to disagreements on issues such as taxes, tariffs and internal improvements as well as states rights versus federal rights.

The confederate Battle Flag (the stars and bars) is part of our history, over 250,000 men died for that flag.

The united states did not start slavery, it was going on way back before Our Lord
was born, don 't make it right, but it was there and it is still going on all over the world

Damn I gotta be quiet, just rambling on I quess

Marty

[QUOTE=cholla;2755956]Let’s use DoMiN8ToR’s country as an example . Do you use the term “Afro-Belgian” when referring to a black citizen of Belgium ?[/QUOTE]
Without going into details about the rest, but Domi is from the Netherlands - not Belgium.

Thanks Liggy my mistake. They are next to each other Belgium & the Netherlands.
A Texan mistake seeing that both countries would fit in the Texas panhandle where I live . With around another 225,000 square miles left over in the rest of Texas. I don’t know about how much the Belgian people are like the Netherlanders but the people of the Southwest Texas panhandle are similar to the people of the North East Texas panhandle.

On what to call people from the Netherlands . Is it Netherlanders , Hollanders , or Dutch ? I couldn’t find a clear answer.
I assume there are black people in the Netherlands ?
If there are I doubt they request being referred to as :
African-Netherlander , African-Hollander , or African-Dutch .

Ppl from the Netherlands are called Dutch or sometimes ‘Dutchies’, ppl from Belgium are called Belgians (I’m one of them). How different are we? Extremely, although the basis of the language is the same, is we and the language are still very much different. Right down to our sayings and proverbs. For example if a street is deserted we Belgians say ‘there’s not a cat in the street’. Say that to a Dutch person and they might start looking for a cat, they say ‘there’s not a dog in the street’. 1 different word totally address things up.
And then i haven’t even started about all the different dialects we have, ppl that only live 100km apart can have trouble understanding each other if both parties don’t stick to ‘civilised Dutch’

Okay they have taken the Christmas out of Christmas and now they are taking the heritage and history away as a nation by removing the confederate flag whats next the USA flag?

It would not surprise me:rolleyes::frowning:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2755985]Without going into details about the rest, but Domi is from the Netherlands - not Belgium.[/QUOTE] They are going to ban the term Belgian Waffle in this country next, its offensive to American waffle makers.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2755988]Ppl from the Netherlands are called Dutch or sometimes ‘Dutchies’, ppl from Belgium are called Belgians (I’m one of them). How different are we? Extremely, although the basis of the language is the same, is we and the language are still very much different. Right down to our sayings and proverbs. For example if a street is deserted we Belgians say ‘there’s not a cat in the street’. Say that to a Dutch person and they might start looking for a cat, they say ‘there’s not a dog in the street’. 1 different word totally address things up.
And then i haven’t even started about all the different dialects we have, ppl that only live 100km apart can have trouble understanding each other if both parties don’t stick to ‘civilised Dutch’[/QUOTE]

Interesting , It’s very different here. I bet I could go 200 miles(322km) in any direction & barely tell a difference in dialect . I might find some minor difference in “sayings” but a lot of that would be from people that had move to the area. One of the differences I notice when I travel in the USA is what we call carbonated sugared beverages. Pop , soda , soda pop , & many use “coke” even when they don’t mean a Coca Cola.

@ alan , I’m going to smuggle in hot Belgian waffles .:bigsmile:

you guys can ban “french fries” too then. Fries were originally invented in Belgium. might wanna read up on that too :slight_smile:

“The tyranny of the minority is infinitely more odious and intolerable and more to be feared than that of the majority.”

William McKinley (1843-1901)
      U.S. Congressman and 25th President of the United States,
      Comment to the House of Representatives, January 1886

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2755976]And as with most historic artifacts it too is being relegated to museums, where it belongs…[/QUOTE]

I will note that I beleive this should be put to a vote of the people of a state. Whether they want this flag displayed or not. I feel this is part of rights given a state.

If the confederate flag is to be relegated to a museum .
It doesn’t make me much difference since I’ve never flown a confederate flag . I don’t have any plans to start now.

The only flag I own that can be flown is a US flag .

The same should be done with slavery . It should be

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2755976]
relegated to museums, where it belongs [/QUOTE].
When the Confederate States were defeated so was slavery.

As a person that would be called “white” even though I am also part Native American . As a citizen of the USA I’m tired of hearing :

You made us slaves.

This from a person or group that has never been a slave.
Their parents haven’t been slaves
Their grandparents haven’t been slaves.
Their great-grandparents haven’t been slaves.
For the majority this extends to great-great & great-great-great grand parents.
The same can be said for most of us "white "people as far as owning a slave. For the majority if any of our ancestors owned slaves it was many generations ago.

For Apple corp. If they are doing this to take the “moral high ground” & feel that anything that brings up slavery causes pain & distress to black people . Then Apple needs to stop all sales to & any purchase from any country listed as still having some slavery in 2015. The ones I posted in post#2.

How many are going to hold their breath till Apple does that ?

I see what Apple did in the topic of this thread as marketing .
They thought taking this action would increase sales.