Apple is the #1 notebook brand on US college campuses

vbimport

Apple is the #1 notebook brand on US college campuses.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/RElKul.jpg[/newsimage]Apple notebooks remain popular among U.S. universities and now about one out of every four college students owns an Apple notebook, Student Monitor recently said in a research report.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/apple-is-the-1-notebook-brand-on-us-college-campuses-32987/](http://www.myce.com/news/apple-is-the-1-notebook-brand-on-us-college-campuses-32987/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I wonder how many universities are selling/giving them to students as part of their books, etc. A local college here in OKC was “giving” them iPhones when they enrolled. Could be something similar with the Macs.

Apple often offers special educational pricing to students. Even then, a similarly equipped Dell or HP is considerably cheaper. It’s more of a status symbol than anything else. All I have to say is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I would agree with the last poster it’s a status symbol more then something that is functional and useful. Heck I will take a free apple laptop but that doesn’t mean I will use it. That the other factor the report doesn’t take into account how many will actually put it through its’ paces? So rather they should really see how many people can afford the high mac software that will tell you which platform is used more widely pc or mac. And I can see that from this it will be pc not mac software that will be purchased more. And if you add all the other percentage of pc compatible the mac isn’t that large a market share as one would like I to believe. As with anything it can be skewed to share one side more favorably depending how the graph and question are asked. Adding just those pc percentage together would get ~75% that is way past what mac would like I to believe they hold the larger market share of which they don’t. Even the report in itself when read one finds that the pc still leads far ahead of mac as a whole not single as they want you to break it up cause in the end all those laptop and desktop are pc compatible and use the same software set…

Apple’s strong hype machine.
Right there it tells you it’s a statue quot not a function machine in itself.

Damn, MS is slipping. They only control 73% of the market on college campus’! (I let the people using linux cross out the MAC users dual booting Windows)

You guys sound ridiculous. You also misunderstood the stats. These stats relate to apple vs. Dell, or hp etc… The hardware makers. Its not about apple vs. MS.

Macs books are amazing machines, yes expensive, but far more than just status symbols. The are the best laptops from a hardware perspectuive. They are the most rugged (aside from $$$$ tough books), fastest and least problematic mahines of all the manufacturers.

You don’t get viruses on macs, security is not an iusse. It’s no brainer for a student to prefer a Mac over a windows machine. I for one am getting fed up with the virus and security problems on windows. I have been burned too many times and lost too much of my time over these problems.
That alone is worth the premium cost.

I am a long time windows user and never liked apple but I do know they make excellent and highly productive mahines.

Oh yeah, apple gives away iPod touches to students with Mac purchases during the back to school season. Small factor :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ivid;2537408]You guys sound ridiculous. You also misunderstood the stats. These stats relate to apple vs. Dell, or hp etc… The hardware makers. Its not about apple vs. MS.

Macs books are amazing machines, yes expensive, but far more than just status symbols. The are the best laptops from a hardware perspectuive. They are the most rugged (aside from $$$$ tough books), fastest and least problematic mahines of all the manufacturers.

You don’t get viruses on macs, security is not an iusse. It’s no brainer for a student to prefer a Mac over a windows machine. I for one am getting fed up with the virus and security problems on windows. I have been burned too many times and lost too much of my time over these problems.
That alone is worth the premium cost.

I am a long time windows user and never liked apple but I do know they make excellent and highly productive mahines.

Oh yeah, apple gives away iPod touches to students with Mac purchases during the back to school season. Small factor :)[/QUOTE]

LMAO…your funny thanks for the good laugh…its about mac vs pc plain and simple facts…trying to side step the response is disingenuous itself about the real market share how much pc holds. Virus only happen on the most Popular and most used system and O/S. That should tell you how much and many more people use the pc platform compared to mac. You make is sound like any can go and buy mac software outragous prices. Best laptop yeah right if that was so true why there more pc laptop out there then mac??? Your basis has some very big holes there. Rugged pc are more rugged and has far more support then mac around the world and local as well. And security no O/S is fool proof including mac one has to be smart is what they go and use the computer for and if you don’t protect your computer using computer smarts then you can expect problems like you have. Like I say it’s all hype but mac will never stand on the same pedestal as the pc desktop or laptop it caused itself to be second class machine by going proprietory only being created and control by Apple and that turns alot of people away. These days people look for value and money worth and macs’ price is a big turn off. I used mac since it came out and dos and now to windows and must say windows is more used and recognized by more users and people. Go to a electronic seller and what computer to you see people buy PC desktop or laptop very seldom you see mac go as fast as pc. Regardless of what pc platform or computer they use the same software there are some good computer company and some bad and then there are some but regardless pc are still used more compared to mac. I will and will use only pc reason being there more support, software, hardware and I can do more to custom my computer then having to pay high premium for someone to upgrade when I can do it myself. I also used Unix in the back days but only for programming and mainframes but that the extend where I keep it at.

Windows PC vs Mac pricing is definitely the number one differentiator. It would be interesting to see what would be more popular if costs were the same for a Windows vs Mac system running on the same hardware.

When you have a company making usb wires that cost $30.00 just to fit there product it dont take long to see who’s ripping who off, I will always be a PC owner!